Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

x-ray peat

I was surprised to see that there wasn't a thread dedicated to discussing people's experience with it so here we go. At the risk of stating the obvious, it is just raising the head of your bed 6 inches and sleeping at an incline. It has been reported to achieve some impressive health results such as:
  • Improving blood circulation
  • Boosting metabolism
  • Improving lymphatic drainage from the brain
  • Improving immune system function
  • Improving respiratory function
  • Easing symptoms associated with Alzheimer's, diabetes, glaucoma, migraines, multiple sclerosis, sleep apnea, acid reflux, edema, varicose veins and more
Here is some background info:
Inclined Bed Therapy Benefits
Home - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health
How to Use Inclined Bed Therapy For Diabetes, Acid Reflux and More
https://www.nexusmagazine.com/articles/doc_view/337-inclined-bed-therapy-a-new-angle-on-health

Anyone try this and care to report on their experience?
I tried this in the past and had some good results but had moved and am just getting around to setting up my bed again. Tonight will be day 1 and Ill try to report back any changes.

Last edited:

brocktoon

I was surprised to see that there wasn't a thread dedicated to discussing people's experience with it so here we go. At the risk of stating the obvious, it is just raised the head of your bed 6 inches and sleeping at an incline. It has been reported to achieve some impressive health results such as:
  • Improving blood circulation
  • Boosting metabolism
  • Improving lymphatic drainage from the brain
  • Improving immune system function
  • Improving respiratory function
  • Easing symptoms associated with Alzheimer's, diabetes, glaucoma, migraines, multiple sclerosis, sleep apnea, acid reflux, edema, varicose veins and more
Here is some background info:
Inclined Bed Therapy Benefits
Home - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health

Anyone try this and care to report on their experience?
I tried this in the past and had some good results but had moved and am just getting around to setting up my bed again. Tonight will be day 1 and Ill try to report back any changes.
I'd like to think raising your headboard actually works, but I've never seen any real research findings that even discuss it.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I'd like to think raising your headboard actually works, but I've never seen any real research findings that even discuss it.
I havent found any real research either. It seems that the inventor/discoverer has been trying to get hospitals/researchers to run trials of any kind and has been universally ignored. So basically all we have to go on are anecdotal reports. Ive read through several threads on various websites/forums and they are all about 90% positive. Ive never seen any intervention get such a universally positive response. Look at earthclinic in the link above as an example.

Its not surprising that the medical mafia isnt friendly to any treatments where they have no chance of making a profit, and are especially against those that actually work.

brocktoon

I havent found any real research either. It seems that the inventor/discoverer has been trying to get hospitals/researchers to run trials of any kind and has been universally ignored. So basically all we have to go on are anecdotal reports. Ive read through several threads on various websites/forums and they are all about 90% positive. Ive never seen any intervention get such a universally positive response. Look at earthclinic in the link above as an example.

Its not surprising that the medical mafia isnt friendly to any treatments where they have no chance of making a profit, and are especially against those that actually work.
I'm the first guy to try something based on anecdotal accounts, but all too frequently I'm disappointed. In fact, this happens a lot when I try some of the seemingly wondrous things touted on this forum. That said, I have to go raise my headboard six inches now :)

tara

There's been some discussion somewhere here I think - related to someone's varicose veins issues, I think.
I did it for quite a while and liked it. Haven't got around to setting up again in new location. Seemed to feel slightly positive. Only downside is the slight tendency of blankets to slide. ...

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I'm the first guy to try something based on anecdotal accounts, but all too frequently I'm disappointed. In fact, this happens a lot when I try some of the seemingly wondrous things touted on this forum. That said, I have to go raise my headboard six inches now :)
awesome! 20 more and we have the makings of a trial.
There's been some discussion somewhere here I think - related to someone's varicose veins issues, I think.
I did it for quite a while and liked it. Haven't got around to setting up again in new location. Seemed to feel slightly positive. Only downside is the slight tendency of blankets to slide. ...
I read about some really good results about varicose veins as well. Maybe its good for varicoceles too which is a big issue on the forum for some.
they talk about for acid refluxd.
yeah, that one makes sense as also just sleeping with your head propped up also works for that.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

even RP approved

Inclined bed therapy?
"It seems biologically reasonable. I think migraines involve excess cholinergic activity, related to the “learned helplessnes” physiology, and that slight tilt would tend to keep the balance of the autonomic nervous system from shifting too far in that “demobilized” direction." Ray Peat Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

brocktoon

even RP approved

Inclined bed therapy?
"It seems biologically reasonable. I think migraines involve excess cholinergic activity, related to the “learned helplessnes” physiology, and that slight tilt would tend to keep the balance of the autonomic nervous system from shifting too far in that “demobilized” direction." Ray Peat Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
Ray's statement sounds good, but I can't make a bit of practical sense out of it. HOW, in plain terms, would it be "biologically reasonable"?

griesburner

very interesting topic. i have never heard of it. but then you have to sleep on your back, right? otherwise i think it is uncomfortable. i always sleep on my stomach and couldnt imagine doing that. the only time i slept that way was when i had surgery on my eyes. i slept in a hospital bed and was told by the doctor to sleep 2 days after the treatment on my back and with my head up. But it was very hard for me to get to sleep in this position cause i normally sleep on my stomach as i said.

achillea

We have been doing it for years. Like it.
Dr Klinghardt and Sophia Health Institute are recommending it now.
The guy who is into it got some experiments in England with babies and infant death syndrome and they curtailed it because it worked. The head of some ids told him he had found the solution but they would not recommend it. WHATTTTTTTTTT

burtlancast

It's very effective for those whose respiration through their nose gets alternatively blocked when they lie down horizontally.(due to the swelling of their internal nose membranes by the incoming blood).

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Ray's statement sounds good, but I can't make a bit of practical sense out of it. HOW, in plain terms, would it be "biologically reasonable"?
According to the discover IBT achieves its benefits mainly through improved circulation. Similar to how a tree circulates its sap based on the difference in density at the top vs bottom of the tree, we also have different densities in our blood with respect to position in the body. Its the difference in density that drives the additional circulation due to the effects of gravity.

"[C]irculation began long before the heart developed, and this primary circulation continues to assist the heart, providing we take the direction of gravity into account. It works on the principle that blood entering the capillary vessels in the lungs provides the water and carbon dioxide that we evaporate with each breath.

The blood therefore must become denser exiting the lungs, then passes through the heart and is injected back into the main artery, effectively adding denser blood to create a pulsatile flow predominantly down towards the kidneys... [T]he blood entering the venous return from the kidneys is always less dense than the arterial blood flowing to the kidneys. This was a Eureka moment of such magnitude it went off the scale for me and instantly gave birth to Inclined Bed Therapy."

Ray was going next level type stuff

Last edited:
OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

very interesting topic. i have never heard of it. but then you have to sleep on your back, right? otherwise i think it is uncomfortable. i always sleep on my stomach and couldnt imagine doing that. the only time i slept that way was when i had surgery on my eyes. i slept in a hospital bed and was told by the doctor to sleep 2 days after the treatment on my back and with my head up. But it was very hard for me to get to sleep in this position cause i normally sleep on my stomach as i said.
I sleep on my side. I dont think it matters.

Last edited:
OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

We have been doing it for years. Like it.
Dr Klinghardt and Sophia Health Institute are recommending it now.
The guy who is into it got some experiments in England with babies and infant death syndrome and they curtailed it because it worked. The head of some ids told him he had found the solution but they would not recommend it. WHATTTTTTTTTT
There is a special place in hell for people like that.
Apparently this idea is very old and has been either forgotten or purposely hidden. Ancient Egyptians slept at an incline and there are drawings from old Byzantine hospitals where the patients are sleeping on an inclined bed.
The-funerary-bed-of-Queen-Hetepheres-300x194.jpg

tara

Iceman2016

I have heard about IBT from friends who tried it and benefited from it. One of them did mention however that it was hard going back to sleeping on a normal bed (such as when you are traveling etc.) because he felt like he was sleeping in a declined position and felt he couldn't breathe.

griesburner

sorry i misunderstood the concept ^^ i thought it was only ment to raise your head. now it makes sense. but what is the theory behind it? sometimes when i dont feel very well i want to lay down flat on the floor and after a while it gets better. so i find my circulation improves when i lie down. when you incline the bed i think it would be harder for your heart to pump against the gravity?

Iceman2016

I've been thinking about trying IBT for a while but have not got around to it. Seeing this thread has reinspired me.

I have had a terrifying issue that has been happening 3 three or four times a year for the last few years where I go to sleep having eaten or drank too much fluid and I wake up in the middle of the night in a severe panic as I realize I can't breathe. Not as in feeling stuffy or congested, but rather as in I have something physically blocking my windpipe and I literally can not breathe. At that moment I am certain I am about to die and have to try to cough as hard as I can to try to clear the blockage. One time it took a few seconds and really didn't think I would make it. I realized that the fluid/food slurry was basically backing up my chest/throat while I was sleeping into my windpipe. Then the rest of the day I'd have sever pain from in my windpipe from the acidity. The easy way to prevent this has been to wait a few hours before eating or drinking too much before bed but sometimes I slip up. I am hoping IBT will help with preventing this.

My wife also invariably wakes up with a severely congested nose every morning and it's not allergies so I'm hoping IBT may help with that as well.

Let's see what happens.