Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@x-ray peat , I don't remember the exact height but it was at least 6 inches and it tapered to a thin half inch for the whole length of the bed. I bought it from a JC Penney's catalog in 2007 or 2008. I got rid of it and the one from my parent's bed after my mother's ankles swelled. I wanted to try it for GERD that both my mother and I had. I am interested in how it helps circulation.

tara

One of them did mention however that it was hard going back to sleeping on a normal bed (such as when you are traveling etc.) because he felt like he was sleeping in a declined position and felt he couldn't breathe.
A partial mitigation for travelling, if possible, can be to use a couple of large pillows or folded blankets to prop the upper body.

My wife also invariably wakes up with a severely congested nose every morning and it's not allergies so I'm hoping IBT may help with that as well.
Have you noticed if she usually sleeps with her mouth closed? If not, a chin strap or a little light tape to keep the mouth comfortably closed could be worth trying to see if it helps with this. The IBT might help too. Chronic hidden hyperventilation during sleep can cause a clogged nose and a feeling of difficulty breathing. (I wouldn't have believed it till I read about the physiology of it, tried it, and found it comfortable and soothing and woke up with a clearer nose.)

tara

This is surprising as I would think that the slight traction of the bed would open up the disks and relieve any pressure, not add to them.
I'm not sure that it does traction?

tara

But experience shows that when legs are tired and swollen and if veins are swollen the inclined position (standing, sitting etc,) makes it worse and if we elevate legs - it helps. So i can't imagine why it could be different with inclined bed o_O
The bed is only inclined ~150mm spread evenly over the whole length of the bed - not like sitting or standing up.

Seems like experience shows the IBT works well for some and not others - so it's one more of those things that may be worth trying, perhaps gradually, to see if it suits you or a particular person.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

I'm not sure that it does traction?
According to the IBT website the friction of the bed opposing the force of gravity gives you a slight traction that stretches out the body. Im pretty sure thats why my back started acting up from increasing the angle too quickly

Last edited:

tara

According to the IBT website the friction of the bed opposing the force of gravity gives you a slight traction that stretches out the body. Im pretty sure thats why my back started acting up from increasing the angle too quickly
Ah - maybe it does. I don't remember it feeling like traction to me. If it made your back sore, that's a good reason to back off/take it more gently.

benaoao

Great idea. Started with a 2ish inches incline, it’s pretty low but I do feel a difference. 6” must be pretty steep

Dave Clark

Great idea. Started with a 2ish inches incline, it’s pretty low but I do feel a difference. 6” must be pretty steep
I have a 6 inch incline on my bed, and I remember the first few months I thought I was going to have to get rid of it, it felt like I w sliding down the bed. Wasn't sure I was going to adjust to that, but now a year later I don't even notice it, so it will take some getting used to, but don't give up right away. I think it is beneficial, especially it you have stomach issues, but also the reasons outlined by Fletcher.

achillea

@x-ray peat , I don't remember the exact height but it was at least 6 inches and it tapered to a thin half inch for the whole length of the bed. I bought it from a JC Penney's catalog in 2007 or 2008. I got rid of it and the one from my parent's bed after my mother's ankles swelled. I wanted to try it for GERD that both my mother and I had. I am interested in how it helps circulation.

Maybe she was reacting to the off gassing of the foam and it had nothing to do with the IBT

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
@achillea, she had been using the inclined set up for more than one year. It could have been from the foam. But I think it had more to do with her age, some health issues and overall decreased mobility.

I never experienced anything negative but I like a totally flat surface and was relieved to get rid of the wedge.

benaoao

I have a 6 inch incline on my bed, and I remember the first few months I thought I was going to have to get rid of it, it felt like I w sliding down the bed. Wasn't sure I was going to adjust to that, but now a year later I don't even notice it, so it will take some getting used to, but don't give up right away. I think it is beneficial, especially it you have stomach issues, but also the reasons outlined by Fletcher.

I'd never thought of giving up, it's actually feeling good even at 2" incline only. Yesterday I did a moderately high intensity squat workout (by my standards) with a couple sets over 350lbs, I usually feel a slightly tight lower back probably because of the compression. Today, none of that.

So far this experience is great, relieve lower back pressure, also seems that I have 0 nasal mucus although my diet is 100% clean now. Next step is 4" when I have a better setup.

Birdie

I'd never thought of giving up, it's actually feeling good even at 2" incline only. Yesterday I did a moderately high intensity squat workout (by my standards) with a couple sets over 350lbs, I usually feel a slightly tight lower back probably because of the compression. Today, none of that.

So far this experience is great, relieve lower back pressure, also seems that I have 0 nasal mucus although my diet is 100% clean now. Next step is 4" when I have a better setup.
What are you thinking for a better setup? I need to improve mine. I had slats made running the length of the bed. Problem is my bed has begun to sag in the middle.

Birdie

Thanks for the nudge. I've read it before but need a kick in the butt. Trying to get up the interest to look again. Lethargic to all but gardening right now.

I'm able to bolster things with little pillows to even out the mattress. It is almost a good solution. I've been using a small pillow to rotate my left anterior superior iliac spine for years. Sleeping on my stomach that has worked well. Before reading Buteyko, I'd slept on my back a lot, using the pillow the posterior inferior you know. But B and all convinced me sleeping on the stomach was better. And it sure works better with the inclined bed. The thing is to use pillows to get my neck and shoulders in a good neutral position.

I need to call a handyman and am stubborn thinking I know how to do it. My husband, the physicist, said I'd break the bed when I started out by putting 1" books under the headboard legs for the first step in getting used to an incline. It worked fine since it was only for a month or so.

Then, I used the wood blocks for the 2 inch intermediate incline. I want it to look beautiful as well as work well, but knew this was an intermediate step. Barely tolerable though.

When I went to 3.5 in, got a handiman to help by making slats. I think it just needs more slats to stabilize it. However, will read more. Ugh.

Birdie

Just to say that I plan to keep it at 3 or 3.5 inches at the head of the bed. A compromise.

Birdie

This sounds good.

tara

The thing is to use pillows to get my neck and shoulders in a good neutral position.
I used to sleep well on my stomach years ago, but now my neck won't allow it. I'd love to know how you have managed to use pillows etc to get your neck and shoulders in a neutral position for lying on your stomach.

I need to call a handyman and am stubborn thinking I know how to do it. My husband, the physicist, said I'd break the bed when I started out by putting 1" books under the headboard legs for the first step in getting used to an incline. It worked fine since it was only for a month or so.

Then, I used the wood blocks for the 2 inch intermediate incline. I want it to look beautiful as well as work well, but knew this was an intermediate step. Barely tolerable though.

If you are experimenting and wanting to try out the higher incline before commiting a lot of resources to an elegant and permanaet solution, I found a combination of a big concrete block under each leg at the head end, and a big old book or magazine to protect the floor from the rough block, served quite well. If you are bouncing around on the bed a lot, you might want to check from time to time that the legs don't work their way off the blocks and give you a surprise drop. :)

I sleep in a recliner, and have for many years. It is very helpful for breathing and a lot of other things.

OP
x-ray peat

x-ray peat

Back up to 3" and so far so good. Deeper sleep and easier breathing. Did notice my pee was darker than normal. I think that is a common benefit (better filtration/circulation through kidneys perhaps)

I switched from lots of books to using two 4" PVC pipes of about 18". This way you can still move the bed. Also has been resistant to my bouncing around :p

Last edited: