Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How is everyone doing with IBT? I started doing it at 6 inches on a foam mattress back in March, but the foam was giving me neck problems so I couldn't really tell what benefits it had. My husband made a wooden frame that is 5 inches as I thought 6 might be too much might make me feel like I'm sliding off with a regular cotton /latex core futon mattress, and it does make me feel that way still after about a week but it is starting to feel better. Still not sure of the benefits though as I'm having very vivid dreams that I attributed to too much B6 from bananas and maybe from eating eggs again. We need acetylcholine for dreaming and eggs provide a great source of choline. So I quit those to see if those were the cause of the intense dreaming.
I’m still loving it too.

B

Braveheart

Yes flat pillow is working okay for me, too high and I get more neck problems.
yes, lying on your side, head has to be straight in line w spine so a flat pillow should do it...no more sore neck

tankasnowgod

Maybe a hint? lol
Well, just wrote up the thread now-

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Z

Zsazsa

00.58.jpg

B

BRBsavinWorld

so, I really tried to make it work for well over a year and a half (great at first), and it just didn't last... I started lying flat again and slept longer/better... I think it's one of the many compensatory things that people have immediate success with, but the problem is fundamentally caused by other health problems...

I believe it goes back to metabolism and nutrient intake. gelatin, oj, thyroid, and oat bran have all had longer lasting sleep benefits for me.

cremes

If anyone is still monitoring this old thread, I'm wondering if any of the folks who said they had an Oura ring (like @Goobz) have noticed any changes in their deep, light, and REM sleep. My Oura is telling me I'm getting around 30m of deep sleep per night (under 10% of total) but yet I feel okay and rested in the morning.

I started inclining the bed about 2 weeks ago. We're at roughly 3 inches. No complaints from the wife so far but she might complain if I boost it to 6 inches for the full 5 degrees. Heh.

Anyway, I'm tracking my sleep using the Oura but haven't seen any positive change yet. Will report back in a few weeks.

cremes

Just thought I'd share a quick update. I've been sleeping with the headboard elevated ~4 inches for the past month. I was able to sleep with it elevated ~7 inches for 2 days before my wife demanded I change it back.

Anyway, here are the results on deep sleep as recorded by my Oura ring. There's been some uptick but not a ton. Going back even further shows that my deep sleep was actually much better 8 months ago. I had a major health event in June 2022 so that likely contributed to the change.

20230209-deep-sleep.jpg

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

peter88

so, I really tried to make it work for well over a year and a half (great at first), and it just didn't last... I started lying flat again and slept longer/better... I think it's one of the many compensatory things that people have immediate success with, but the problem is fundamentally caused by other health problems...

I believe it goes back to metabolism and nutrient intake. gelatin, oj, thyroid, and oat bran have all had longer lasting sleep benefits for me.
Same experience with me. Sleep started feeling off and I eventually started sleeping on the floor. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to sleeping on a mattress.

Makrosky

I think it's one of the many compensatory things that people have immediate success with
I haven't tried it but I agree. My point of view is that if it would be so beneficial without any drawback, and so simple, we would see it in other cultures, through history, etc.
@charlie @Blossom do you still sleep like this? How is it going?

@cremes do you notice feeling better the day after if your Oura reports you had more deep sleep?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I haven't tried it but I agree. My point of view is that if it would be so beneficial without any drawback, and so simple, we would see it in other cultures, through history, etc.

@cremes do you notice feeling better the day after if your Oura reports you had more deep sleep?
Yes! I still sleep inclined nearly every night. If I forget to take bed risers when I’m away from home I’m quickly reminded of how beneficial it is within a night or two. I occasionally recommend it to people I know who seem open minded and have issues with chronic musculoskeletal pain and stiffness. In my experience it’s not a miracle hack and I still need to take good care of myself overall but I find it to be a virtually effortless (after the initial set up) addition to a healthy lifestyle.

cremes

sometimes my Oura report is the exact opposite of my subjective well being. It will tell me I slept great but my **** is really dragging.

I’m still not sure how much benefit IBT offers. It hasn’t made anything worse so I continue to do it. Deep sleep is slowly rising but there are many other factors at play so I can’t attribute the improvement to IBT.

Makrosky

sometimes my Oura report is the exact opposite of my subjective well being. It will tell me I slept great but my **** is really dragging.
Thank you. It confirms my suspicion that these parameters from Oura are not very accurate.

Makrosky

Yes! I still sleep inclined nearly every night. If I forget to take bed risers when I’m away from home I’m quickly reminded of how beneficial it is within a night or two. I occasionally recommend it to people I know who seem open minded and have issues with chronic musculoskeletal pain and stiffness. In my experience it’s not a miracle hack and I still need to take good care of myself overall but I find it to be a virtually effortless (after the initial set up) addition to a healthy lifestyle.
Very interesting. Thank you Blossom.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Very interesting. Thank you Blossom.
You’re welcome. I think it is worth a try for other issues as well especially sleep apnea, snoring, edema and circulatory problems. There are numerous anecdotal reports of it helping many other things. The ones I listed are just the areas I happen to be more familiar with and utilizing gravity makes sense to me with those challenges.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yep still sleeping like this and when I have to travel and forget my risers I really miss the incline. I think this is something that everyone can get benefits from.