In Italy For A Week

Gametime

Hi Guys,

I'm in Italy for the next week for a big family reunion..

Day 1 incredibly awkward if I was to stick to peat ways when eating out etc..

Would one week of going off track with the peat diet really cause much harm ?Eating pastas, Pizzas, spaghetti bolognase etc..?

Anything I should really favour that would be a better choice when eating out? Any dishes that certainly avoid bad pufas? or buying from supermarkets etc? I know you've got parm/good ice cream etc..

Deleril

Prefer pastas with cheese instead of those with salmon or pesto. It's the country of parmigianno regianno, burrata and mozzarella which are low in pufa and high in calcium/protein, so enjoy :)

Steve123

Thanks guys! Coming out here.. I like to mix my cheeses up, I've got a good bit of parm but is there any other Italian cheeses that are good that don't have the high amount of glutamate that parm cheese has?
Would any cheese with Aoc or Dop badge be good? Or know all the best Italian cheeses maybe made with animal rennet? (No comte cheese here) thanks guys!

jyb

Thanks guys! Coming out here.. I like to mix my cheeses up, I've got a good bit of parm but is there any other Italian cheeses that are good that don't have the high amount of glutamate that parm cheese has?
Would any cheese with Aoc or Dop badge be good? Or know all the best Italian cheeses maybe made with animal rennet? (No comte cheese here) thanks guys!

Never realised Parmesan was particularly high in glutamate. I wonder why.

Steve123

Never realised Parmesan was particularly high in glutamate. I wonder why.
So how much parm is safe to eat a day guys? 100g 200g? More? Doesn't matter? Apparently There's 1200mg of free glutamate in Parm cheese..

Waynish

In my experience, the most anti-peatarian part of Italian culture is how little they eat in the morning - and consequentially how long they go without food from dinner to the next meal with significant amounts of calories or protein.

aquaman

OMG.

Just enjoy being in another country and eating delicious food.

Seriously, you'll mess yourself up more by worrying about this nonsense.

Ray talks about eating delicious, varied meals.

Just eat what you want, in a leisurely way, and enjoy your trip.

Waynish

OMG.

Just enjoy being in another country and eating delicious food.

Seriously, you'll mess yourself up more by worrying about this nonsense.

Ray talks about eating delicious, varied meals.

Just eat what you want, in a leisurely way, and enjoy your trip.

Exactly! Don't believe your mind so much.

jyb

In my experience, the most anti-peatarian part of Italian culture is how little they eat in the morning - and consequentially how long they go without food from dinner to the next meal with significant amounts of calories or protein.

Although it varies by country and generation, it's fairly European in general. I would expect someone with a healthy metabolism to do that without stress or feeling any particular need. I'm not able to skip breakfast entirely but I see that as a sign of poor metabolism - being more prone to energy deficits and stress. Flexibility in eating habits seems intimately connected to metabolic health.

Last edited:
Ray Peat told me the glutamate in Parmigiano is not a problem.

Steve123

Yes. Score. This was my thought as I mentioned in another thread. Ray would surely not say it was a good cheese if it was a problem. But I was hypothesizing. You @Such_Saturation settled it for me. Thanks.
Ray Peat told me the glutamate in Parmigiano is not a problem.
That is such a relief.. lol.. any limit on parm cheese a day? 200g? 300g a day okay? I could eat like 400g of it a day easily ..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals