In Defense Of Milk: And I Don't Think It's The Calcium

Amazoniac

Do you write these adorable things on purpose or are they genuine mistakes?
Sometimes they're on purpose, other times they're not. The good thing is that it can be difficult to tell if I'm igmorant or silly.
I think these bacteria thrive on almost any sugar, not only lactose. In experiments, sucrose significantly increases both lactobacilli and bifidobacteria.
Yes, on bacteria thriving but some sugars tend to be more problematic than others or reinforce certain patterns.
Why do you think it would be helpful to have the fat content much reduced? I'm experimenting a lot at the moment to find the optimal balance of carbs, fats, and protein for me. Reducing animal protein to 50grams or less in the face of enough calories has been the best thing, so far, but I find that reducing saturated fat too much in favor of carbohydrates in not good. I think saturated fat is important to balance our microbiome.

Supplementation of Saturated Long-chain Fatty Acids Maintains Intestinal Eubiosis and Reduces Ethanol-induced Liver Injury in Mice
Bacteria that can colonize the small intestine tend to be adapted to withstand challenges imposed on them there. Some can feast on bile acids and extra fat might favor them in terms of gaining advantage over competition.

It's difficult to generalize. We find people being creative in how they rationalize that something is either good or bad, but it usually depends on what you're dealing with.

Last edited:

Kartoffel

Sometimes they're on purpose, other times they're not. The good thing is that it can be difficult to tell if I'm igmorant or silly.

I think you employ this cute puppy style just for the ladies.

Bacteria that can colonize the small intestine are already adapted to withstand certain specific challenges imposed on them there. Some can feast on bile acids and extra fat might even favor them in terms of gaining advantage over competition.

It's difficult to generalize. We find people being creative in how they rationalize that something is either good or bad, but it usually depends on what you're dealing with.

That sounds like a typical email answer from Peat. Provide some context, and then state that it depends on the situation ;)

Rafe

I didn’t drink all the milk until I’d been lowering pufa for several years & still eating a lot of starches as staples.
As soon as I could easily take 2 quarts a day the stabilizing sensation was immediate & more than I’d gotten from any other changes earlier. But I don’t think it would have worked for me that way earlier. The old problem of which comes first, getting well enough to do the things that promote wellness without irritation, or mitigating many unexpected irritations to get well?

I don’t really see the milk-calm the same as the “it’s the casomorphins” view, but they are part of the effect, just not all of it. I think they contribute, cause the calm is so deep.
@Ivysaur is right, cheese doesn’t do it for me & using milk & juice instead of water is how I think about it too.

To me the fat is important & it wasn’t easy to go to fat free milk until I’d been on 2 quarts a day for most of a year (at whole, 2% & 1% in a rhythm). On days when I don’t drink 2 quarts I don’t feel nearly as well & sleep isn’t that great. I still take higher fat a couple times a month. It helps digestion & some nervous stuff.

I’ve been using Fairlife brand for its enriched protein, but it has no smell & leaves a weird residue. It might be whitened. I need to switch. It has lactase added.

@Kartoffel Have you written in another thread about why you are finding it good to stay below 50g protein/day? What do you think are the conditions where that’s helpful? Genuinely engaging.

Kartoffel

@Kartoffel Have you written in another thread about why you are finding it good to stay below 50g protein/day? What do you think are the conditions where that’s helpful? Genuinely engaging.

Just recent experience. When I eat less animal protein, I feel really energetic, social, and calm. Also, my stomach feels almost perfect, and my appetite is much increased. I think I solved most of my digestive issues, already, but with less protein I feel even better. I suspect that it might be because I still have too much of certain bacteria that enjoy feasting on certain peptides produced from animal proteins. I found that when I eat more than 20g of animal protein from meat, milk, cheese, etc, I often feel rather bad afterwards - irritability, frequent urination, coldness, etc.

Rafe

@Kartoffel I see, it’s a strategy to handle specific symptoms. Thank you for reply. I didn’t know if it was something like that or you were thinking about the effects of protein on improvement in general.

KTownSatfats

Hey all. New here, but I’ve been lurking/attempting to educate myself to some degree here in addition to using Haidut’s supplements for awhile now. Really, I’ve read a lot, but don’t really have a hugely scientific mind, so apologies in advance if I ask dumb questions.

For now, I’d just like to start with a quick reply to Kartoffel. I agree Amazoniac may employ the cute puppy thing for the ladies. Why not? It works. Plus it’s funny.

Ok, I’m gonna come up with some serious Peatish questions soon. I’ve got em. It’s just a bit intimidating in the beginning.

Runenight201

There’s no doubt in my mind that dairy, while not necessary, provides higher levels of health than I could obtain without it. In my opinion, the sugar + dairy combination is the most potent antidepressant and energetic food that I’ve come across. Only ripe fruit comes second, and while it energizes, fruit doesn’t have the same anabolic, strength inducing effect that sugar + milk has for me. All my nagging joint pains go away once Ice cream is flowing through my veins, and my muscles harden up and I feel very powerful. I think the lactose is problematic for a large majority of people, including me, as I can digest ice cream perfectly, and it instantly uplifts my mood, where as whole goat milk, even with sugar, often leaves me feeling bloated and uneasy.

I made a whole milk, ice cream smoothie today, but even that was too liquidy for me, and left me bloated, where ice cream has no such effect. I think real ice cream made with egg yolk, such as hagaan daz style, is the optimal form of ingestion, as egg yolks have always been incredibly anabolic for me, where as egg whites usually inflame me. Personally, it’s the high fat content of the milk which is the most health promoting, which, when combined with sugar, is digested perfectly and causes no inflammation. For those unconcerned with weight, and facing digestive issues, i think real ice cream to be a very safe and health promoting food to eat. I think I will still mess around with my milkshakes, as I believe the ratio of lactose to saturated fat to sugar necessary for optimal digestion can change for me based on physiological state,

As with all foods, ice cream can be abused and over ingested to the point of weight gain, and finding the correct therapeutic amount to ingest is critical to avoid the often occurred mistake of overconsumption and weight gain.

I have a 4 pack, and while I may never lose my last little bit of belly fat consuming such high amounts of dairy fat, I’m completely ok with that compromise, as the positive health states I receive from ice cream far exceed any vanity associated with having a perfectly lean body. Every workout post ice cream consumption feels incredibly powerful, and I’m able to consistently feel pumps 2-3 sessions a day. I may start experimenting with making my own ice cream, as the ingredients seem pretty simple, and I think I could receive the same health promoting effects while creating the perfect mixture of cream, milk, sugar, and egg yolk based on my physiological state at any given point in time. This may also prevent any overconsumption of any specific food group and avoid weight gain, while ensuring optimal food consumption and thus avoiding negative states that can occur when I overconsume sugar, fat, lactose, egg, etc...

Tl;dr, dairy is awesome. Combined with egg yolk, sugar, and cream its a borderline superfood. Cheese is weird, and I agree with the op in that it doesn’t have the same health promoting effects of milk.

postman

Just recent experience. When I eat less animal protein, I feel really energetic, social, and calm. Also, my stomach feels almost perfect, and my appetite is much increased. I think I solved most of my digestive issues, already, but with less protein I feel even better. I suspect that it might be because I still have too much of certain bacteria that enjoy feasting on certain peptides produced from animal proteins. I found that when I eat more than 20g of animal protein from meat, milk, cheese, etc, I often feel rather bad afterwards - irritability, frequent urination, coldness, etc.
I get those symptoms with cooked protein, but not with raw protein.

Bogdar

If that is what you're talking about, I also have this "calming, focusing" and relaxing effects, like no other foods.

I always thought it was due to some kind of opiates in the milk that crossed the intestinal barrier.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals