Improper Dropper Feeding Of Liquid Vitamin D Feared Responsible In Accidental Death

Health Minister Marisol Touraine said it was “the specific way the product is administered that presents risks”, rather than the vitamin itself.

burtlancast

"“I want to reassure parents who have given vitamin D, in whatever form, to their children: they are safe,” she said in a statement today, adding that “only Uvesterol D is concerned” by this procedure.."

That's why I avoid all foods that have added D. There have been D poisonings from milk plants before. You can get hypercalcemia.

jyb

List of excipients in Uvesterol D:

Excipients : Acide citrique anhydre, Acide édétique sel disodique, Eau, Eau purifiée, Fruits rouges arôme, Gallate de propyle, Glycérol, Phosphate disodique dodécahydrate, Polysorbate 80, Potassium sorbate, Propylèneglycol, Saccharine sodique, Sodium hydroxyde

Why give a baby any vitamin supplement?

It is common to give D to babies, even in supplement skeptic countries (France does not enrich flour with iron).

Last edited:

Agent207

It is common to give D to babies, even in supplement skeptic countries (France does not enrich flour with iron).

Yeah, but WHY? Mother deficiency and so in breast milk? lack of sunlight? Relying on d3 supplement for a baby looks a very poor fix to me.

jyb

Yeah, but WHY? Mother deficiency and so in breast milk? lack of sunlight? Relying on d3 supplement for a baby looks a very poor fix to me.

Well you could ask that about any intervention, what about the vitamin K shots given newborns? I do not know but it should be easy to find out online as this is public health policy.

dd99

We give our baby D supps during winter, about 200IUs a day. He's almost one and is no longer breast feeding.

It's not possible to make vitamin D from UVB between October and March here in London (Ideal Time For Sun Exposure).

I also give our three year old a few drops of Estroban topically once a week. Or, if he's had liver, just a few drops of D and K.

Last edited:

Agent207

Weird, giving synthetic hormones to babies as something usual... we're so lobotomized by big pharma.

So much to learn from wiser countries...

1200804_original.jpg

428-light_1506620i.jpg

schultz

Weird, giving synthetic hormones to babies as something usual... we're so lobotomized by big pharma.

So much to learn from wiser countries...

1200804_original.jpg

428-light_1506620i.jpg

D drops and mercury vapor are both supplemental. I might prefer the D drops, since the blue light can be dangerous without the red to balance.

Agent207

D drops and mercury vapor are both supplemental. I might prefer the D drops, since the blue light can be dangerous without the red to balance.

Sunlight is the natural way the body synthesize vitD, and uvb lamps are the closer to it.

And this not blue light by the way. Is ultraviolet B light. Any study or reference about it being bad -under a controlled exposure- for not having other light spectrums?

I don't know of any newborn died after been administered vitD from uvb therapy.

Last edited:

SaltGirl

I know that in several countries the reason Vitamin D is suggested for babies is because of a reoccurrence of rickets in young children. This is why even doctors are on board the Vitamin D train.

tara

What are your thoughts about it?
I think it is not a good idea to risk choking babies by accidentally squirting too much viscous fluid in by pipette where it can get in their wind pipe. That doesn't just apply to vit-D.
Transdermal administration should avoid this risk easily.

johnwester130

I think it is not a good idea to risk choking babies by accidentally squirting too much viscous fluid in by pipette where it can get in their wind pipe. That doesn't just apply to vit-D.
Transdermal administration should avoid this risk easily.

the brand used was d2

no one uses d2, most are using d3

tara

the brand used was d2
Sure, and there are a whole lot of excipients in it too. I'm not particularly recommending that product. Just that if one is convinced one's baby needs a vit-D supplement, then it's probably safer to administer via skin. I read the article as saying the accidental death was probably because of how it was applied with the pipette, and maybe too much at once - it looks to me as though it was primarily a physical choking hazard, not a biochemical hazard.