Improper Dropper Feeding Of Liquid Vitamin D Feared Responsible In Accidental Death

Discussion in 'Vitamins' started by Parsifal, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

2. mayweatherking

mayweatherking Member

Health Minister Marisol Touraine said it was “the specific way the product is administered that presents risks”, rather than the vitamin itself.

3. burtlancast

burtlancast Member

"“I want to reassure parents who have given vitamin D, in whatever form, to their children: they are safe,” she said in a statement today, adding that “only Uvesterol D is concerned” by this procedure.."

4. Westside PUFAs

Westside PUFAs Member

That's why I avoid all foods that have added D. There have been D poisonings from milk plants before. You can get hypercalcemia.

5. Agent207

Agent207 Member

Why give a baby any vitamin supplement?

6. jyb

jyb Member

List of excipients in Uvesterol D:

It is common to give D to babies, even in supplement skeptic countries (France does not enrich flour with iron).

7. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

that brand is d2 (Uvesterol D)

most people would use d3

8. Agent207

Agent207 Member

Yeah, but WHY? Mother deficiency and so in breast milk? lack of sunlight? Relying on d3 supplement for a baby looks a very poor fix to me.

9. jyb

jyb Member

Well you could ask that about any intervention, what about the vitamin K shots given newborns? I do not know but it should be easy to find out online as this is public health policy.

10. Agent207

Agent207 Member

I doubt a healthy baby needs shots of vitamin k.

11. dd99

dd99 Member

We give our baby D supps during winter, about 200IUs a day. He's almost one and is no longer breast feeding.

It's not possible to make vitamin D from UVB between October and March here in London (Ideal Time For Sun Exposure).

I also give our three year old a few drops of Estroban topically once a week. Or, if he's had liver, just a few drops of D and K.

12. Agent207

Agent207 Member

Weird, giving synthetic hormones to babies as something usual... we're so lobotomized by big pharma.

So much to learn from wiser countries...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. schultz

schultz Member

D drops and mercury vapor are both supplemental. I might prefer the D drops, since the blue light can be dangerous without the red to balance.

14. damngoodcoffee

damngoodcoffee Member

Yeah, those pics aren't weird at all. :smirk:

15. x-ray peat

x-ray peat Member

those are actually Oompa Loompas

16. Agent207

Agent207 Member

Sunlight is the natural way the body synthesize vitD, and uvb lamps are the closer to it.

And this not blue light by the way. Is ultraviolet B light. Any study or reference about it being bad -under a controlled exposure- for not having other light spectrums?

I don't know of any newborn died after been administered vitD from uvb therapy.

17. SaltGirl

SaltGirl Member

I know that in several countries the reason Vitamin D is suggested for babies is because of a reoccurrence of rickets in young children. This is why even doctors are on board the Vitamin D train.

18. tara

tara Moderator

I think it is not a good idea to risk choking babies by accidentally squirting too much viscous fluid in by pipette where it can get in their wind pipe. That doesn't just apply to vit-D.
    Transdermal administration should avoid this risk easily.

19. johnwester130

johnwester130 Member

the brand used was d2

no one uses d2, most are using d3

20. tara

tara Moderator

Sure, and there are a whole lot of excipients in it too. I'm not particularly recommending that product. Just that if one is convinced one's baby needs a vit-D supplement, then it's probably safer to administer via skin. I read the article as saying the accidental death was probably because of how it was applied with the pipette, and maybe too much at once - it looks to me as though it was primarily a physical choking hazard, not a biochemical hazard.