Impressions From A Recent Hospital Stay

Jem Oz

So I was just discharged today from a 3 day stint in hospital, most of it in Emergency, and I wanted to share a few impressions that are still fresh. None of it will be new to the folk round these parts, but I was struck by several things:

- Even within a highly flawed, compromised, dangerous beast of a system, there are still some incredibly knowledgable people working in 'mainstream' healthcare. There are lots and lots of things about the human body that doctors and nurses know that AREN'T controversial or contested, and I felt genuine gratitude and relief to lean on their knowledge and skills.

- Further, they are all of them human beings. Even the arrogant senior doctors who barely made eye contact with me. They are flesh and blood, they are overworked, they have spent years of their life shovelling ***t to get where they are, they are doing their best. Every single person on this forum has plenty of blind spots, and no one, not even Ray Peat, has all the answers. Sometimes I do think we lose sight of these things. Believe me, I'm appalled by much of what happens in 'western medicine'. But I no longer wish to view it as the enemy or the thing to waste my life railing against.

- I needed to be completely honest with them, whilst they tried to work out what was wrong with me. So I told them about the supplements I take. And in every single instance, they were highly critical and told me I was doing more harm than good.

By far the biggest example of this was my mention of aspirin. I told them I take one 300mg tablet no more than twice a week, and a tiny bit on my face via occasional Solban. It was amazing to witness the negative response, and to hear several doctors confidentally tell me to stop doing that immediately. One of them said the idea that aspirin is a helpful preventative substance, or has any benefit to young people, was debunked 10 years ago. It was even mentioned in my discharge papers: stop taking aspirin. I never bothered challenging them, because I was extremely unwell, and I needed their help, and you aren't going to change a doctor's mind on such matters.

Similar story when I mentioned my occasional use of B vitamins. I was told that's pointless. When I told a doc I take vitamin K about 3 times a week, I was met with serious alarm. "Why on earth would you do that?" she asked. When I mentioned I briefly experimented with very small doses of pregnenolone, a doctor immediately assumed that I'd bought it as an illegal anabolic bodybuilding steroid. I felt a real shift in his dealings with me after that, even though I tried to explain. And later on, I overheard a nurse telling another nurse that I had been experimenting with "off-brand alternative medicine". I could only smile at such moments. These were the same people btw who were otherwise genuinely helpful and concerned for me, and who I mostly got on well with.

- A dashing, arrogant cardiologist told me "there's no such thing as toxins in the gut", when I mentioned I take activated charcoal once a week. Again, I could only smile.

- And finally, hospitals are horrible, depressing places. This was my first ever time being actually admitted as a patient. And it was eye opening. I think it would be very hard to get better if you were extremely unwell and stuck in a hospital for a long stretch. There is just so much noise, and harsh lights, and horrible food, and you are surrounded by terribly unwell people, most of them elderly, coughing up their lungs all night long. One night they put a very drunk man on the bed next to me to dry out. He spent the entire night yelling Vietnamese profanities and giggling. Suffice it to say I got very little sleep.

Like I said, none of this will be revelatory round these parts, but it's been a poignant experience for me. I'm glad to be out, and I'm glad I got a glimpse behind the curtain.

InChristAlone

What exactly happened to land you in the ER for that long?? Did they figure out what was wrong?

Interesting story. Yeah most medical personnel would say Ray Peat fans are crazy.

Dobbler

You could have just said that you take aspirin for headache and vitamins for health reasons.
99% of doctors don't acknowledge bacterial overgrowth in gut, it's always idiopathic IBS for them.

OP
J

Jem Oz

@Janelle525 I ran into this problem of my pulse shooting through the roof every time I stood, with no change in blood pressure. Went to the ER when I passed out. Had them baffled. We all assumed it was a serious heart problem, but thankfully that's been ruled out. The current thinking is I have a small internal bleed somewhere, that's draining the blood, so I'm heading down the rabbit warren of outpatient tests. I said to them I'll do whatever you want so long as you discharge me!

@Dobbler usually I would have said those exact words. But for some reason, I just decided to be completely honest with them. I'm actually glad I was, because I got to see up close their responses. It's amazing how utterly confident doctors are in what they tell you.

It's also interesting that the doctor who told me supplements were useless, aspirin was unnecessary, and that I should start taking PPI's, herself revealed to me that she recently had an endoscopy and an iron transfusion due to major gut/health woes.

InChristAlone

@Janelle525 I ran into this problem of my pulse shooting through the roof every time I stood, with no change in blood pressure. Went to the ER when I passed out. Had them baffled. We all assumed it was a serious heart problem, but thankfully that's been ruled out. The current thinking is I have a small internal bleed somewhere, that's draining the blood, so I'm heading down the rabbit warren of outpatient tests. I said to them I'll do whatever you want so long as you discharge me!

@Dobbler usually I would have said those exact words. But for some reason, I just decided to be completely honest with them. I'm actually glad I was, because I got to see up close their responses. It's amazing how utterly confident doctors are in what they tell you.

It's also interesting that the doctor who told me supplements were useless, aspirin was unnecessary, and that I should start taking PPI's, herself revealed to me that she recently had an endoscopy and an iron transfusion due to major gut/health woes.
Sounds like POTS. I had that on the Peat diet. Eating normal meals again really helped. Aspirin could lower your iron though so it may not be bleeding. Should get all the iron labs to rule that out. My husband takes double that every night for years and has no issues. He even gave blood twice in a year.

OP
J

Jem Oz

Yeh they were really set on POTS, but for some reason the cardiologist disagreed. However I'm going to the cardiology outpatient clinic for the POTS tests. Why do you think a Peat diet caused your POTS???

My iron levels were low I was officially called anemic and they gave me a huge iron transfusion.

InChristAlone

Yeh they were really set on POTS, but for some reason the cardiologist disagreed. However I'm going to the cardiology outpatient clinic for the POTS tests. Why do you think a Peat diet caused your POTS???

My iron levels were low I was officially called anemic and they gave me a huge iron transfusion.
Too much milk. I eat all kinds of starches and meats now.

Wow an iron transfusion?! Yeah you would do well to eat meat. Do you?

OP
J

Jem Oz

Too much milk. I eat all kinds of starches and meats now.

Wow an iron transfusion?! Yeah you would do well to eat meat. Do you?

Cripes, I guzzle milk like there's no tomorrow! I wonder.

It's funny I instinctively thought a couple of weeks back that I should vary my diet more. The iron transfusion made me feel like Popeye. I eat red meat about once a week. Definitely going to increase it.

Hopefully there's no bleed and it is diet related. Was pretty scary for a while there.

InChristAlone

Cripes, I guzzle milk like there's no tomorrow! I wonder.

It's funny I instinctively thought a couple of weeks back that I should vary my diet more. The iron transfusion made me feel like Popeye. I eat red meat about once a week. Definitely going to increase it.

Hopefully there's no bleed and it is diet related. Was pretty scary for a while there.
Yeah another thing for iron is vitamin C, now that you have a huge amount of iron in your blood you are going to need more vitamin C. Also to start regulating iron better too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals