Impossible Milk Is Incoming

Runenight201

My friend has been obsessed with oat milk, so I decided to try some on a whim. It was a sweetened vanilla variety, and I must say it tasted very good, but it didn’t have that same bodily strength that milk gives me. It did quench my thirst and settle me down, which were welcome effects. The milk is fortified with vitamins and calcium as well, so it was bound to have some physiological effect. If anything, it’s making me crave very badly some nice strawberry pink milk =P

lvysaur

Replacing milk is actually pointless. It's cheap as hell. Has the same carbon emissions as rice.
At least with beef, there's potentially an argument to be made about the high carbon footprint, with milk you're just doing pointless mental masturbation.

green_house_proteins.jpg

Runenight201

Replacing milk is actually pointless. It's cheap as hell. Has the same carbon emissions as rice.
At least with beef, there's potentially an argument to be made about the high carbon footprint, with milk you're just doing pointless mental masturbation.

green_house_proteins.jpg

Those cows are having their lives subjugated to rape, slavery, and abuse. A morally progressed society would never engage in such barbaric practices.

R J

My friend has been obsessed with oat milk, so I decided to try some on a whim. It was a sweetened vanilla variety, and I must say it tasted very good, but it didn’t have that same bodily strength that milk gives me. It did quench my thirst and settle me down, which were welcome effects. The milk is fortified with vitamins and calcium as well, so it was bound to have some physiological effect. If anything, it’s making me crave very badly some nice strawberry pink milk =P

If you find a strawberry milk mix that has good ingredients post it up. I’ve been craving some

R J

Those cows are having their lives subjugated to rape, slavery, and abuse. A morally progressed society would never engage in such barbaric practices.

Didn’t dharmic societies have cows for milk? I’m pretty sure the blame is in industrial practices. Every neighbourhood having a couple dairy cows would probably be a lot better.

R J

green_house_proteins.jpg

I wonder why cheese is so high

gaze

It’s worse than just added vitamins. The most popular brand “oatly” has rapeseed oil in it

lvysaur

I wonder why cheese is so high
Cheese is pure protein/fat, milk is mostly water.
Cheese has more protein than meat though, bc of its low moisture, so technically it's roughly the same or a little "better" than pork

Runenight201

If you find a strawberry milk mix that has good ingredients post it up. I’ve been craving some

Didn’t dharmic societies have cows for milk? I’m pretty sure the blame is in industrial practices. Every neighbourhood having a couple dairy cows would probably be a lot better.

I’m not sure how much of a stickler you may be on ingredients. I dump pink Hershey’s strawberry syrup in some whole milk and drink it down!

If giving cows moral agency, then there becomes a couple of moral problems even with that practice. The females still need to be forced to become pregnant every so often, and the resultant child is thus forced into existence for the sole purpose of human beneficiary. The problem would then escalate because for the life cycle of one dairy cow 10-20 calves/cows will have to be birthed and slaughtered just so we can drink our milk.

R J

Cheese is pure protein/fat, milk is mostly water.
Cheese has more protein than meat though, bc of its low moisture, so technically it's roughly the same or a little "better" than pork
Ah ok thanks

R J

I’m not sure how much of a stickler you may be on ingredients. I dump pink Hershey’s strawberry syrup in some whole milk and drink it down!

If giving cows moral agency, then there becomes a couple of moral problems even with that practice. The females still need to be forced to become pregnant every so often, and the resultant child is thus forced into existence for the sole purpose of human beneficiary. The problem would then escalate because for the life cycle of one dairy cow 10-20 calves/cows will have to be birthed and slaughtered just so we can drink our milk.

I see.

I think I’ll make some myself out of frozen strawberries and sugar. The Hershey’s stuff has some iffy ingredients.

T

TheBeard

He was obviously being sarcastic

michael94

This is true and a lot of us milk drinkers tend to ignore it. Vegetarians in India do not have a problem with their extremely low standards dairy industry. It is not much better in America either despite being cleaner, same process. Maybe dairy should be more expensive

Arnold Grape

If you take frozen strawberries and save the strawberry juice that is in the package, you can add it to things as flavoring, although it is likely to contain some ascorbic acid.

Runenight201

I drink my milk and eat my meat, but that doesn’t change the fact that I still have unresolved issues with the morality surrounding this practice. I both recognize animal consumption as necessary for the optimal state of my being and that it is somewhat morally problematic to do such a thing. The best compromise I can come to is that the animals that are raised for our consumption should be given spoiled lives of love and pleasure right up to their utmost death. A forced (unfortunately) contract between animal and man can thus be formed. One in which we give the animal protection and a good life, and in turn, they give us their life when the time comes. I think we can give moral agency to animals but I wouldn’t equate their agency as equal in value to ours. We have to take precedence, and practically every species, usually does take precedence of their own value over that of the other. Our whole morality system evolved to support the human tribe. It is in our best interest to be moral, because we end up being more cooperative and succeeding as a group much better than as individual animals where we stoke fires and fights which end up destroying us. We are the first species to willingly sacrifice our own life for that of the other species. While veganism has been around for a while, it’s uprising is most likely in response to industrial practices, where it becomes much easier to guilt trip people into feeling bad about doing something that is in reality in tune with optimal living.

I think ultimately I’m a “humane speciest”. I don’t will for the torturing or promulgation of misery of the animals we consume, but ultimately they are lesser in value to human life and thus it becomes acceptable to breed and kill for the thriving of the human species.

michael94

I drink my milk and eat my meat, but that doesn’t change the fact that I still have unresolved issues with the morality surrounding this practice. I both recognize animal consumption as necessary for the optimal state of my being and that it is somewhat morally problematic to do such a thing. The best compromise I can come to is that the animals that are raised for our consumption should be given spoiled lives of love and pleasure right up to their utmost death. A forced (unfortunately) contract between animal and man can thus be formed. One in which we give the animal protection and a good life, and in turn, they give us their life when the time comes. I think we can give moral agency to animals but I wouldn’t equate their agency as equal in value to ours. We have to take precedence, and practically every species, usually does take precedence of their own value over that of the other. Our whole morality system evolved to support the human tribe. It is in our best interest to be moral, because we end up being more cooperative and succeeding as a group much better than as individual animals where we stoke fires and fights which end up destroying us. We are the first species to willingly sacrifice our own life for that of the other species. While veganism has been around for a while, it’s uprising is most likely in response to industrial practices, where it becomes much easier to guilt trip people into feeling bad about doing something that is in reality in tune with optimal living.

I think ultimately I’m a “humane speciest”. I don’t will for the torturing or promulgation of misery of the animals we consume, but ultimately they are lesser in value to human life and thus it becomes acceptable to breed and kill for the thriving of the human species.
I agree with your take. Im a vegetarian so I have given a lot of thought to the dairy industry. It is not at all a death free industry, and even male calves who arent killed shortly after birth are just fed out for beef. So how vegetarian is my milk really?

Something I did learn though is that with artificial insemination of the female cows ( which is a very mild process, from what Ive seen on Saskdutchkid's youtube channel ), the Semen is sexed so that like close to 90% of the time its a female.

Based Kantian

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with raising cows for meat and milk. Since they lack reason they don't need freedom either. Factory farming is abhorrent though. A rational society would pour immense resources into abolishing the practice and people of good will who can afford it should go out of their way to consume pastured dairy