Important Question On Applying Squalane As A Moisturiser

dreamcatcher

Yep, it's a humectant just like glycerin. I live in a wet climate so HA worked well for me. And thank you for quoting that study! The only water I consume comes from the fruit, coconut water and some occasional decaf coffee. I just never felt well drinking plain water so I hardly ever did.
The wet climate will favour youthful skin:) Korean girls keep a spray bottle in their bags and spray their skin with water time to time during the day, to keep it hydrated.
I love sparkling water as an alternative to coke :sweatsmile: .

boris

@cinderella so your recommendation for dry skin would be hyaluronic acid and then some kind of oil on top if I understood correctly?

Do you know how effective Urea would be for dry skin?

dreamcatcher

@cinderella so your recommendation for dry skin would be hyaluronic acid and then some kind of oil on top if I understood correctly?

Do you know how effective Urea would be for dry skin?
@boris people with dry skin need exfoliation as well, otherwise the products will just 'sit' on the top layer of the skin without much absorption.
Yes, hyaluronic acid would be good to apply first, followed by a hydrating cream then some kind of cold pressed oil if your skin is very dry. Check out the skincare edit which is ran by a lady who's a fan of Ray Peat's work.

https://theskincareedit.com/what-causes-dry-skin

https://theskincareedit.com/moisturizer-ingredients

Jennifer

The wet climate will favour youthful skin:) Korean girls keep a spray bottle in their bags and spray their skin with water time to time during the day, to keep it hydrated.
I love sparkling water as an alternative to coke :sweatsmile: .
Interesting! I do something similar -- I spray my skin with rosewater throughout the day, mainly for its calming effect.

Nice! Sparkling water seems like a very healthy alternative. :)

boris

@boris people with dry skin need exfoliation as well, otherwise the products will just 'sit' on the top layer of the skin without much absorption.
Yes, hyaluronic acid would be good to apply first, followed by a hydrating cream then some kind of cold pressed oil if your skin is very dry. Check out the skincare edit which is ran by a lady who's a fan of Ray Peat's work.

https://theskincareedit.com/what-causes-dry-skin

https://theskincareedit.com/moisturizer-ingredients

Thank you very much!

Kray

Huh, the one derived from sugarcane is very interesting. I've never come across one made from sugarcane before. Aside from coconut oil and cocoa butter, squalane is one of my favorite oils, especially for the summer since it absorbs quickly and leaves no oily residue. Anyhow, with using it in delicate areas, the only concerns I can think of are whether or not it's sourced from organic sugarcane and then how it's purified. Basically, whether or not there are any residual chemicals left over that could pose a problem/negative reaction.
Hi Jennifer- searching squalane out on the forum, and found this thread. Can you provide an update on squalane? Are you still using it? Can you share a brand you like? I know shark-sourced has taken a lot of heat over the years, but some people still use it and swear by it. Would appreciate any feedback.

Jennifer

Hi @Kray, I no longer use squalane. I now use 100x washed ghee (for my face) and monoï oil (for the rest of my body). When I still used squalane, there weren’t as many options available as there are now and I was vegan at the time so I used this olive derived one:

I would compare it to fractionated coconut oil in consistency and both FCO and 100x washed ghee in how well and quickly it absorbs. Jojoba oil/wax is another emollient I’ve used that is comparable to squalane as it is said to mimic sebum.

Kray

Hi @Kray, I no longer use squalane. I now use 100x washed ghee (for my face) and monoï oil (for the rest of my body). When I still used squalane, there weren’t as many options available as there are now and I was vegan at the time so I used this olive derived one:

I would compare it to fractionated coconut oil in consistency and both FCO and 100x washed ghee in how well and quickly it absorbs. Jojoba oil/wax is another emollient I’ve used that is comparable to squalane as it is said to mimic sebum.
Hi @Jennifer, thanks for the update, I appreciate that. I am trying a mix of Shark Liver squalane and jojoba and will give that some time. I haven't been able to get much more information than what Peat has said about mineral oil, and hydrocarbons in general. I'm not sure where to put squalane in all of this, since it isn't a mineral oil. The people who use it swear by it. Thanks again-

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @Kray. :) After coming across Ray’s quote on squalane, I decided to do more research on it but wasn’t finding much and in the process, I discovered washed ghee and the researching ceased. I used to be an active member on a skincare forum and know of so many people who love squalane (both forms) and jojoba oil so I hope the combo works out well for you.

Kray

You’re welcome, @Kray. :) After coming across Ray’s quote on squalane, I decided to do more research on it but wasn’t finding much and in the process, I discovered washed ghee and the researching ceased. I used to be an active member on a skincare forum and know of so many people who love squalane (both forms) and jojoba oil so I hope the combo works out well for you.
Thanks @Jennifer for the feedback. I found the same thing in trying to find more info on squalane.

amd

"Lanolin is an ointment-like material isolated from wool that is sheared from sheep. Lanolin can be separated into Lanolin Oil, a liquid phase, and Lanolin Wax a solid phase. Heating Lanolin with water (hydrolysis) produces a mixture of organic acids (Lanolin Acid) and a mixture of organic alcohols (Lanolin Alcohol)."

---

"LANOLAN OIL, chemically similar to the pharmaceutical lanolin, is in liquid form, because parts of the natural esters of lanolin that are solid at room temperature have been removed by fractional crystallisation at a low temperature. Thus, LANOLAN OIL consists only of the low molecular weight fractions of lanolin."

Last edited:

Kray

Lanolin is an ointment-like material isolated from wool that is sheared from sheep. Lanolin can be separated into Lanolin Oil, a liquid phase, and Lanolin Wax a solid phase. Heating Lanolin with water (hydrolysis) produces a mixture of organic acids (Lanolin Acid) and a mixture of organic alcohols (Lanolin Alcohol).

---

LANOLAN OIL, chemically similar to the pharmaceutical lanolin, is in liquid form, because parts of the natural esters of lanolin that are solid at room temperature have been removed by fractional crystallisation at a low temperature. Thus, LANOLAN OIL consists only of the low molecular weight fractions of lanolin.
Are you saying lanolin oil is not as beneficial as lanolin ointment? And is there a difference between LANOLAN oil and LANOLIN oil?

amd

"Lanolin refers to the sebum or oil that is extracted from sheep’s wool to keep the sheep dry and to maintain healthy skin. Also known as wool wax or grease, it consists of sterol esters.

Lanolin is available in two types - anhydrous and hydrous. Anhydrous lanolin is thick and quite sticky or tacky, while hydrous lanolin has had water added to it, to make it thinner. Anhydrous is more commonly used in homemade cosmetic preparations."

---

"Lanolin wax is a thick, yellow substance. Unlike other waxes such as beeswax, this wax is pliable at room temperature.

Lanolin oil, often referred to as Liquid Lanolin, is a yellow, viscous oil from fractionated, steam-distilled lanolin. Liquid lanolin carries a lighter feel than regular lanolin which is a thicker waxy material."

---

"LANOLAN OIL is the physically separated liquid fraction from lanolin."

"LANOLAN OIL not only has the important properties of lanolin, namely good emollient properties and W/O emulsifying capacity, but it also has the added benefit of being a liquid. LANOLAN OIL is therefore easier to handle and is more readily absorbed by the skin."

Last edited:

Kray

"Lanolin refers to the sebum or oil that is extracted from sheep’s wool to keep the sheep dry and to maintain healthy skin. Also known as wool wax or grease, it consists of sterol esters.

Lanolin is available in two types - anhydrous and hydrous. Anhydrous lanolin is thick and quite sticky or tacky, while hydrous lanolin has had water added to it, to make it thinner. Anhydrous is more commonly used in homemade cosmetic preparations."

---

"Lanolin wax is a thick, yellow substance. Unlike other waxes such as beeswax, this wax is pliable at room temperature.

Lanolin oil, often referred to as Liquid Lanolin, is a yellow, viscous oil from fractionated, steam-distilled lanolin. Liquid lanolin carries a lighter feel than regular lanolin which is a thicker waxy material."

---

"LANOLAN OIL is the physically separated liquid fraction from lanolin."

"LANOLAN OIL not only has the important properties of lanolin, namely good emollient properties and W/O emulsifying capacity, but it also has the added benefit of being a liquid. LANOLAN OIL is therefore easier to handle and is more readily absorbed by the skin."
You seem knowledgeable about lanolin. What category would this product fit into?

Amazon product ASIN B003GW360KView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GW360K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1JH03E8A53HGS&th=1

amd

Ingredients: Refined lanolin (ultra pure, medical grade) Organic Jojoba oil

Are you putting these toxins on your skin?

RANCID OILS Most vegetable oils turn rancid very quickly, especially if they are not extracted with a cold process. When you take rancid oils, your skin purges them. As the skin releases these oils, the sun activates them. This also causes your own skin's oils to oxidate, producing lots of free radicals and creating the environment for skin cancer and melanoma. Any product that is packaged in a semi-transparent, or non-opaque container.

---

Evaluation of the Effect of Elite Jojoba Lines on the Chemical ...

The oils of all elite jojoba lines were rich in unsaturated fatty acids. However, fatty acid composition varies according to the genetic variety.

---

The fatty acid content of Jojoba oil can vary significantly depending on the soil and climate in which the plant is grown, as well as when it is harvested and how the oil is processed. In general, it contains a high proportion of mono-unsaturated fatty acids, primarily 11-Eicosenoic acid (gondoic acid).

---

Despite the name, jojoba oil is actually a polyunsaturated wax that comes from cold-pressed Simmondsia chinensis seeds; it just happens to be chemically structured in a way that makes it turn to liquid at room temperature, which is why it has a such a thick, soft, velvety texture.

Last edited:

Kray

RANCID OILS Most vegetable oils turn rancid very quickly, especially if they are not extracted with a cold process. When you take rancid oils, your skin purges them. As the skin releases these oils, the sun activates them. This also causes your own skin's oils to oxidate, producing lots of free radicals and creating the environment for skin cancer and melanoma. Any product that is packaged in a semi-transparent, or non-opaque container.

---

The oils of all elite jojoba lines were rich in unsaturated fatty acids. However, fatty acid composition varies according to the genetic variety.

---

The fatty acid content of Jojoba oil can vary significantly depending on the soil and climate in which the plant is grown, as well as when it is harvested and how the oil is processed. In general, it contains a high proportion of mono-unsaturated fatty acids, primarily 11-Eicosenoic acid (gondoic acid).

---

Despite the name, jojoba oil is actually a polyunsaturated wax that comes from cold-pressed Simmondsia chinensis seeds; it just happens to be chemically structured in a way that makes it turn to liquid at room temperature, which is why it has a such a thick, soft, velvety texture.
Thank you for pointing out the properties of JO. Something to consider going forward.

Kray

Squalane oil drys me skin out​

---

---

---

If pure anhydrous lanolin is mixed with a fresh organic source of jojoba oil, would the fat of the lanolin protect against (further) oxidation of any PUFA in the jojoba oil, do you think?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals