Immortality

peatarian

Ray Peat said:
I have never seen evidence that they ((our bodies)) contain any principle of mortality, and in recent years the suspicion that we contain all the equipment needed for perpetual renewal, given the right circumstances, is seeming to be increasingly plausible.

kiran

Speaking of wild ideas. I wonder what would happen if you gradually turned up the CO2 content of the air that you breathe and that surrounds you.

OP
peatarian

peatarian

kiran said:
Speaking of wild ideas. I wonder what would happen if you gradually turned up the CO2 content of the air that you breathe and that surrounds you.

Well, you can always move to a place high up in the mountains. Mexico City is very high for instance. It will change many things to the better. Ray Peat once mentioned that an embryo in the uterus will heal without scars. So he thinks we could heal under the perfect circumstances - maybe even grow back a limb.
But we are so very far from the perfect circumstances.

nikolabeacon

I have seen in several of his statements similar reasoning. Does hE seriously believe that one can achieve bodily (earthly)imortality or limitless bodily regeneration( since he is involved in "anti-aging") or just less painfull aging and death.? If so than he is in contradiction with universal laws and proceses needed for continuous evolution and growth and with message of purposefull existence. Life loses its meaning and purpose without bodily death. Believing and Thinking about question of imortality for me is ridiculous and stupid as thinking of creation and begining of life and Universe.

Tenacity

I have seen in several of his statements similar reasoning. Does hE seriously believe that one can achieve bodily (earthly)imortality or limitless bodily regeneration( since he is involved in "anti-aging") or just less painfull aging and death.? If so than he is in contradiction with universal laws and proceses needed for continuous evolution and growth and with message of purposefull existence. Life loses its meaning and purpose without bodily death. Believing and Thinking about question of imortality for me is ridiculous and stupid as thinking of creation and begining of life and Universe.

Life doesn't have meaning because of death, life has meaning in spite of it. Meaning is generated in the individual, any greater purpose is unknowable. I believe it to be possible to have a very meaningful immortal life.

nikolabeacon

Life doesn't have meaning because of death, life has meaning in spite of it. Meaning is generated in the individual, any greater purpose is unknowable. I believe it to be possible to have a very meaningful immortal life.
He seems to talk about bodily death.?

nikolabeacon

I understand what you wanted to say. That by strong meaningfull life you can support it forever. But that meaning needs to be as strong as creation itself? So?

Tenacity

I understand what you wanted to say. That by strong meaningfull life you can support it forever. But that meaning needs to be as strong as creation itself? So?

The creation of meaning seems to be an inevitable function of a happy, optimal intelligent organism. If immortality is possible it would require a perfect environment, which would cause the organism to develop in such a way that having a coherent meaning of life is inevitable. Essentially, I believe that optimal immortal people will necessarily be able to see meaning in their eternal lives by virtue of their condition, similar to how happiness is an inevitable byproduct of good bodily function.

Lucifel

We humans have an excepcional ability to adapt to pratically anything. I wonder if the reason that we never adapted/evolved to "aging" was just because there wasn't anything to adapt in the first place. I agree with Peat on the matter that "aging" is an energy problem, and we can't adapt completely to that, similar to endurance exercise.

Immortality should be possible, but only for the few that can afford it.

nikolabeacon

The creation of meaning seems to be an inevitable function of a happy, optimal intelligent organism. If immortality is possible it would require a perfect environment, which would cause the organism to develop in such a way that having a coherent meaning of life is inevitable. Essentially, I believe that optimal immortal people will necessarily be able to see meaning in their eternal lives by virtue of their condition, similar to how happiness is an inevitable byproduct of good bodily function.
Creation is Spiral or Vortex and it is cyclical. And both Composition(Creation) and Decomposition( Destruction are necessary part of Existence. I know that Life and Creation itself is purposefull.B ut so is Decomposition. Creation is in our own bodies. But Creation not only exist in Us. Creation means everything. And we are not everything.Creation must be seen as A whole. . Creation is much broader things than just an energy and A Creation in our bodies only. Creation and Imortality implies On everything that exist and On interrelationship beetwen all substances and living things. In order to be imortal one needs to Gather Everything about all things. Hardly possiblle. His statements sounds more like a Heideger Fear of Death to me. Not so much as a happy person. Creation is Acceptance. And real "Imortality" is in it. And one things missing Here for understanding is false understanding of Time. t=0 . Not as Einstein was saying. Creation/Decomposition are indivisible in Unmoving Vortex of "Time".

Waynish

I find that quite silly. I've *only* seen evidence of mortality in basically every species. Maybe he's implying telomere-based aging ideologies are bogus - and they are... But to say you can't see "evidence that [our bodies] contain any principle of mortality" seems like hyperbole!

Silly is in the eye of the beholder mate

nikolabeacon

I am not a beholder mate. I just try to clear up some things for myself. Maybe I am wrong curently. I think that Imortality should imply only On knowledge which goes from One generation to another. I see Humnity as a big synergetic BRAIN. I see meaning or Creation as a seraching for Divine or Universal Laws of Consciousness not as blind faith in life of a chosen.

I am not a beholder mate. I just try to clear up some things for myself. Maybe I am wrong curently. I think that Imortality should imply only On knowledge which goes from One generation to another. I see Humnity as a big synergetic BRAIN. I see meaning or Creation as a seraching for Divine or Universal Laws of Consciousness not as blind faith in life of a chosen.

I acknowledge that

Tenacity

Creation is Spiral or Vortex and it is cyclical. And both Composition(Creation) and Decomposition( Destruction are necessary part of Existence.

No, it's objectively untrue that destruction is a necessary part of existence, at least in the context of this topic.

When Peat refers to immortality it would only be a functional immortality - severe wounds would still be fatal, for instance. We'd just be in pristine health and nothing else. Well, there already exists a creature that does that - Hydra (genus) - Wikipedia.

If immortality in the sense we're discussing is true for this organism, then it is objectively untrue that humans must necessarily cease to exist - given the right environment, a person could live forever.

Yes but functional also in the sense that not only wounds, but also the occasional lack of a "Peatish environment" would eventually kill you. And since "infinite time" would imply "infinite chances for things to go wrong", the criticism of Peat's use of the word immortal (which he actually didn't even) is really falling beside the point, in this thread.

haha that's just how I personally cope with the thought of death. I do think it's not real though.

I love the fact that the Death Positive movement is currently led by a hardcore atheist who thinks we just go to sleep forever :ss

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals