IME oversleeping always causes anhedonia

Mr Joe

Just some thoughts as I feel exactly the same : Does sleeping more than 6/7hours makes you use all your glycogen and thus increase the "darkside" of stress ? Doesn't sleeping long time mimic fasting with more stress due to night dark ? A couple time I had small naps at beach and it was wonderful ! Didn't Ray suggested that oversleeping was a consequence of stressed body and low thyroid/ low energy ?

Mauritio

"These two different reactions to stress, viz.,
torpor or tension, depression or hyper-alertness,
are often seen as reactions to over-sleeping, or
under-sleeping. On a Sunday, when a person
sleeps an extra hour or two, it's common to feel
lethargic for the rest of the day. And when a
person has to get up several hours too early, there
is often the feeling of being over-stimulated.
Many years ago, someone noticed that
depressed people who missed a night's sleep, or
who were wakened several hours earlier than
normal, came out of their depression, until they
caught up on their sleep. Sleep deprivation has
become a recognized treatment for depression.
Manic-depressive ("bipolar") people typically
seem to need very little sleep during their manic
periods."
-RP
from (Thought and energy, mood
and metabolism)

OP
Androsclerosis
Just some thoughts as I feel exactly the same : Does sleeping more than 6/7hours makes you use all your glycogen and thus increase the "darkside" of stress ? Doesn't sleeping long time mimic fasting with more stress due to night dark ? A couple time I had small naps at beach and it was wonderful ! Didn't Ray suggested that oversleeping was a consequence of stressed body and low thyroid/ low energy ?
Ray Peat says that a healthy metabolism can keep the whole night with sufficient energy without triggering stress hormones. Oversleeping I think is a sign of low quality sleep and the body requires more hours to heal. IME it oversleeping happens when I mix a huge high fat high starch meal before sleeping. In this case my digestion will be slow, glucose metabolism in the presence of lots of fat is impaired, thus my body will keep sleeping long hours due to a continuous low energy production with the ability of keeping stress low. In this case Ray Peat is right.

OP
Androsclerosis
"These two different reactions to stress, viz.,
torpor or tension, depression or hyper-alertness,
are often seen as reactions to over-sleeping, or
under-sleeping. On a Sunday, when a person
sleeps an extra hour or two, it's common to feel
lethargic for the rest of the day. And when a
person has to get up several hours too early, there
is often the feeling of being over-stimulated.
Many years ago, someone noticed that
depressed people who missed a night's sleep, or
who were wakened several hours earlier than
normal, came out of their depression, until they
caught up on their sleep. Sleep deprivation has
become a recognized treatment for depression.
Manic-depressive ("bipolar") people typically
seem to need very little sleep during their manic
periods."
-RP
from (Thought and energy, mood
and metabolism)
Well said. The best way is to keep a balance between the two. Knowing that under-sleeping increases glutamate, it will help also with dopamine. But we all know the negative effects of it and I don't really see it as a healthy potential treatment.

Mr Joe

Another tought : If you oversleep with a bad glycogen store, you might be depleting glycogen too fast and then run on lactic acid for the night, increase serotonin a lot during the night and bind dopamine. Plus increasing lactic acid puts you probably on a hyperventilation state ? That would increase NO and prevent muscle relaxation, deplete magnesium and ATP all things combined creating the lethargic morning state ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals