I'm Trying Separate Meals - Carbs Or Fat Not Both

Yi at LDT

Well cooked white rice is super palatable. Plain organic pasta, yes please? Salted baked potatoes. Mmm

My 2 year old daughter naturally LOVES plain starchy foods. Often over their accompaniments.

ExCarniv

Well cooked white rice is super palatable. Plain organic pasta, yes please? Salted baked potatoes. Mmm

My 2 year old daughter naturally LOVES plain starchy foods. Often over their accompaniments.

Ok,I'm hungry now

I'm eating non fortified Italian pasta lately, with homemade Bolognese sauce, nutritional bomb ime.

berk

@danielbb
i am not sure this has already been discussed in this topic. (I'm only halfway through reading)
But you all missing the big reason why separating macro's works.

carbohydrates are fattening because of their effect on blood sugar and insulin.
The more rapid appearance of glucose in the blood stimulates more insulin, and insulin stimulates fat synthesis
If starch/glucose is eaten at the same time as fats, insulin will store the fats as bodyfat.

Now everybody talks about separating carbs and fats but you all forget that protein also stimulates insulin
So you need separate protein from fat as well.

But the other thing is that separating not works:
this was a short time hype under bodybuilders in the 80's 90's?, they call it carb cycling.
But when they found out that fatty acids says 24 hours or more in the bloodstream then separating carbs and protein from fats was useless.
So eating fats in de morning and carbs in the evening doesn't help.
Even the next day you have still fatty acids in the bloodstream from the day before and insulin will grap these.
Thats why you dont see bodybuilders carb cycling anymore.

Last edited:

kreeese

I thought you didn’t eat starch?
secret to health muscle glycogen and fat loss is to be open to trying new things ..I do not eat alot of starch but Im experimenting with better gym performance and body composition by incorporating some starch in my diet...BUT THIS IS KEY....I ADD ALOT OF SAT FAT WITH MY STARCH!! very important and Dr peat has taught me this!
Peace and Fun from nyc!!!!

berk

.BUT THIS IS KEY....I ADD ALOT OF SAT FAT WITH MY STARCH!! very important and Dr peat has taught me this!
Peace and Fun from nyc!!!!
peat says that starch are fattening and starch + fat are more fattening.
How do your meals looks like? (i have asking you 3 times now)

kreeese

you are constantly wrong about what Dr Peat says...so listen to him and read his articles then get back here
have a fantastic day!

kreeese

starches do not make you fat saturated fats dont make you fat...there now you have my meals dude

chanlaw

Would eating 50g fat with protein at once cause troubles? I wish to seperate my fatty diet in 2 meals. One i eat in morning, with vitamin d/k2. One i eat at dinner, with A/E. I want to use this approach because i have been reading A inhibits k2/d3 absorption as well as maintain decent fat diet. The rest of time there would be 2 hour difference in the carb meals.

OP
ecstatichamster
I found this unworkable.

I think fats and starches should be eaten at the same time.

Starch needs fat to aid digestion.

Jib

Starches and fats go well together.

My breakfast lately has been organic oatmeal with 1 or 2 bananas and some raisins, and on the side, a few eggs fried in coconut oil with some added cheese.

Digestion of this combo is very good, and I feel satiated and stable for a long time after. Starch or sugar alone usually make me feel very fatigued and prone to crashing.

Marco

As Italian I wish to add my insight and experience on this very interesting topic. I am close to my 50s so remember well how we used to eat in the past and have a wide record of elders' suggestion. We did not eat pasta with lots of cheese or additional fatty foods. Pasta and meat was a typical sunday meal. Think about the lasagna etc. Sunday was also the day to have fatty meats, sweets, creamy pastry and so on. Sunday was special, but was one day a week not everyday :): In working days we had a complete meal only in the evening. Breakfast being usually milk (1-2 glasses, not a gallon!), coffe and a carb as dried bread with honey/marmelade or a homemade sweet. Orange juice and one egg could be there too. Lunch was typically a pasta meal...and nothing more than a fruit. The sauce was rarely made with meats, we called that souce "fake souce" for a reason, only tomato, garlic/onion and olive oil (which btw seems to interfer less with carb metabolism) and maybe 20gr of added parmisan/pecorino. Dinner was a lean protein and veggies, few cheese, bread and fruit too. Some days, dinner was a legume soup with rice/pasta, small pieces of meat or cheese as condiment, maybe 50gr., nothing more. My father, he is 81, has instinctivelly followed this regimen of not mixing foods (meat/pasta/cheese etc.) in a meal for his entire life and remained very lean, even too lean for an elder (looks very similar to Ray). Not safe from other issues but otherwise lean and cardiovascularly strong.

Last edited:

Lynne

As Italian I wish to add my insight and experience on this very interesting topic. I am close to my 50s so remember well how we used to eat in the past and have a wide record of elders' suggestion. We did not eat pasta with lots of cheese or additional fatty foods. Pasta and meat was a typical sunday meal. Think about the lasagna etc. Sunday was also the day to have fatty meats, sweets, creamy pastry and so on. Sunday was special, but was one day a week not everyday :): In working days we had a complete meal only in the evening. Breakfast being usually milk (1-2 glasses, not a gallon!), coffe and a carb as dried bread with honey/marmelade or a homemade sweet. Orange juice and one egg could be there too. Lunch was typically a pasta meal...and nothing more than a fruit. The sauce was rarely made with meats, we called that souce "fake souce" for a reason, only tomato, garlic/onion and olive oil (which btw seems to interfer less with carb metabolism) and maybe 20gr of added parmisan/pecorino. Dinner was a lean protein and veggies, few cheese, bread and fruit too. Some days, dinner was a legume soup with rice/pasta, small pieces of meat or cheese as condiment, maybe 50gr., nothing more. My father, he is 81, has instinctivelly followed this regimen of not mixing foods (meat/pasta/cheese etc.) in a meal for his entire life and remained very lean, even too lean for an elder (looks very similar to Ray). Not safe from other issues but otherwise lean and cardiovascularly strong.

Thanks for sharing Marco, I find insight into traditional diets to be very helpful and that it's valuable knowledge I worry may one day be completely lost :praying: