I'm super pasty. Recommend a sunscreen

B

Blaze

I'm really lacking melanin.

Advise me on a sunscreen.

I'm 41/m bald.
Avoid sunscreens, wear a hat. A hat and clothing are the best sunscreens and completely without side effects. Or internally you might assist the body to deal better with the sun by taking higher doses of vitamin D.
Humans have used hats to battle the sun for a long time now with no deleterious effects at all with the caveat that you don't count the induced psychosis in Mad Hatter disease caused by felt brim hats.
You can wear any hat now and be safe, you are more in danger of getting Mad Hatter disease now if you eat too much fatty fish.

Last edited by a moderator:

joaquin

B

Blaze

Does copper help with melanin?
The short answer is yes. But an excess amount of one vitamin or mineral is never good. To achieve the desired effect, minerals need to be balanced out by the proper intake of other minerals and vitamins to work properly instead of being taken in isolation.

Last edited by a moderator:

joaquin

Are you asking this based on that copper thread I made?
No. I've just been under the impression that getting enough copper is good for tanning. But I only get it from food sources and not from pill form.

RollingStone

Slowly acclimate to sun exposure by going out for small amounts of time so that you build up some color without overdoing it. Do not wear sunscreen. It's pretty nasty stuff. If you're going to spend more time out in the midday sun than you can currently handle, wear a large hat and long sleeve shirt.

sunny

If you can get sun in the morning at sunrise, and as much as possible until uvb rays come, that is really helpful. Even if it is just a couple days a week. Then just a little midday sun, a minute or whatever to start, and get some evening post uvb sun. D Minder app is great for knowing when uvb comes and goes. I did this after avoiding the sun for years, and it helps to slowly and gently increase Melanin - which means vitamin d is being produced.

Solsa55

I used to be super pasty and burned very easily. I started taking astaxanthin, 8mg per day. Not only did it give my skin some basic color, it also dramatically reduces my getting sunburn. I hear that high dose (e.g. 8 grams) vitamin C can also prevent sunburn, but it doesn't help with basic underlying skin color/tone the way that astaxanthin does. Some people can get better skin color/tone by eating lots of greens powder.

xborg

Astaxanthin is a great internal sunscreen. So is a timed release 100mg B complex.

But here's a tip you won't often hear: Are you wearing sunglasses when you go out to get sun? If so, they are blocking the UV to the eye that signals the brain to know you're in a higher UV environment. That signal is vital for the brain to tell your skin to raise the shields. Sunglasses are a major cause or contributing factor to skin cancers arising from repeated burns.

One more: drastically lowering omega 6 PUFA and raising saturated fat will give the cell membranes for more resistance to oxidation by solar radiation. It can have a very dramatic effect but it takes probably 6+ months to significantly change the composition of your membranes, depending on how rigorous you are about cutting out PUFA.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals