I'm Not Sure About Seratonin Causing Issues?

troubledtimes

Of course there is seratonin syndrome but I've read articles on here saying seratonin for the most part is bad.... How can that be when the street drug Molly raises seratonin alot and makes people happy

tankasnowgod

Of course there is seratonin syndrome but I've read articles on here saying seratonin for the most part is bad.... How can that be when the street drug Molly raises seratonin alot and makes people happy

Because MDMA is does more than just increase serotonin. It also increases dopamine and norepinephrine at minimum.

What are MDMA’s effects on the brain? | National Institute on Drug Abuse

MDMA can also have serious side effects, like Depression, Anhedonia, Loss of Appetite, Anxiety, Nausea, Diarrhea, and Lethargy. So it's not like it always just "makes people happy."

MDMA - Wikipedia

OP
T

troubledtimes

That could make more sense than Whats your take on depression and anxiety relating to the prefrontal.cortex of he brain? any one who's had mild head injuries can cause cause unexplained depression and anxiety and they don't know because they've never done a pet or spect.scan. Ot shows up on function brain scans. Lowering prefrontal cortex and dopamine levels. 52 percent of people with add pick up a drug or alcohol problem. They need an outside source to get there dopamine that's why they are the class clown, seeking attention etc as a kid most the time.

rzero

Another issue I've seen talked about here is that some drugs that are said to be serotonergic like LSD are actually anti-serotonergic. I don't fully understand this and I'm not sure what this board's current thinking on this is, as this kind of talk has become more scarce here in recent years, but I would like to know more about this if anyone has anything.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Another issue I've seen talked about here is that some drugs that are said to be serotonergic like LSD are actually anti-serotonergic. I don't fully understand this and I'm not sure what this board's current thinking on this is, as this kind of talk has become more scarce here in recent years, but I would like to know more about this if anyone has anything.
I've read a study that LSD lower serotonin, but now I can't find it again. The therapeutic effect of larger doses of LSD is that it replaces traumatic memories (or associations) with safer associations through acting on the 5-HT2A receptor while lowering total 5-HT2A expression.

Explorer

I've read a study that LSD lower serotonin, but now I can't find it again. The therapeutic effect of larger doses of LSD is that it replaces traumatic memories (or associations) with safer associations through acting on the 5-HT2A receptor while lowering total 5-HT2A expression.
What other things act on that receptor in that same manner?

Hans

Forum Supporter
What other things act on that receptor in that same manner?
Other psycodelics. Easy obtainable ones includes magic mushrooms, truffles, etc.
Lisuride (from Idealabs) is also a 5-HT2A agonist, but without hallucinating effects.

Explorer

Other psycodelics. Easy obtainable ones includes magic mushrooms, truffles, etc.
Lisuride (from Idealabs) is also a 5-HT2A agonist, but without hallucinating effects.
Can 5-HT2A changes also impact other mental/cognitive/neurological aspects like Aspergers etc. ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Can 5-HT2A changes also impact other mental/cognitive/neurological aspects like Aspergers etc. ?
This 2006 found "People with Asperger's syndrome had a significant reduction in cortical 5-HT2A receptor binding in the total, anterior, and posterior cingulate; bilaterally in the frontal and superior temporal lobes; and in the left parietal lobe. Also, reduced receptor binding was significantly related to abnormal social communication." (R)

However, this 2012 study failed to find significant alterations in binding parameters of 5-HT2A receptors and serotonin transporters in adult subjects with Asperger’s Disorder.

I know many neurotransmitters are dysregulated in Aspergers and not just serotonin specifically. Reduced 5-HT2A expression is inversely correlated with platelet serotonin, so it's obvious that there is serotonin excess, especially from the gut.

Explorer

This 2006 found "People with Asperger's syndrome had a significant reduction in cortical 5-HT2A receptor binding in the total, anterior, and posterior cingulate; bilaterally in the frontal and superior temporal lobes; and in the left parietal lobe. Also, reduced receptor binding was significantly related to abnormal social communication." (R)

However, this 2012 study failed to find significant alterations in binding parameters of 5-HT2A receptors and serotonin transporters in adult subjects with Asperger’s Disorder.

I know many neurotransmitters are dysregulated in Aspergers and not just serotonin specifically. Reduced 5-HT2A expression is inversely correlated with platelet serotonin, so it's obvious that there is serotonin excess, especially from the gut.
So that reduced 5-HT2A receptor binding means the receptor is weaker so not enough things bind to it and agonizing aka increasing it would improve that while anything that antagonizes it would make everything related to that even worse therefore which are the things that agonize and ones that antagonize that specific Serotonin receptor?

Hans

Forum Supporter
So that reduced 5-HT2A receptor binding means the receptor is weaker so not enough things bind to it and agonizing aka increasing it would improve that while anything that antagonizes it would make everything related to that even worse therefore which are the things that agonize and ones that antagonize that specific Serotonin receptor?
Yes, so perhaps tianeptine which increases platelet serotonin uptake and cypro can be very helpful.