I'm Losing A Lot Of Weight On Intermittent Fasting

Regina

have any women been able to loose fat with IF here? Seems to me that all the research on this involves male subjects
Yes. I wish I had a picture of me when I attempted to train after doing IF according to Perfect Health Diet. The speed in which I became rail thin (and neurotic) was frightening. As well, I believe it caused insulin resistance. It seems to have taken me over a year of Peating to get out of that wretched catabolic state.

teds

Forum Supporter
Yes. I wish I had a picture of me when I attempted to train after doing IF according to Perfect Health Diet. The speed in which I became rail thin (and neurotic) was frightening. As well, I believe it caused insulin resistance. It seems to have taken me over a year of Peating to get out of that wretched catabolic state.
interesting. thanks for input. i can't seem to get out of a stressed state enough to NOT eat regularly.. but then i hear all these people talking about how amazing IF is for longevity.. i guess it's all about context.

walker_in_aus

have any women been able to loose fat with IF here? Seems to me that all the research on this involves male subjects

I was just about to write this question!

I'm not sure if it's just women but I guess anyone who is having liver problems and glycogen storage issues will struggle with this. If you are not able to store any energy I would say you'd end up in a stress cycle not an "autotrophic" situation as many say IF is good for.

I cannot fast at this stage, that much I know. I tried Mr. Bulletproof style IF and that was the end of my health.

The other thing to note about women is that healthy progesterone production is often tied to regular supply of glucose. You might notice women get more "hangry" and a more grazers than big meal eaters...

I would love to know if there are any women who have improved their health to the point where IF became possible?

Be careful. Your body can handle it for a while put if you do it for too long there might be some health consequences. Intermittent fasting for a year is what originally ruined my health.

THIS. I wouldn't even be here had I never done intermittent fasting (of course, I should've probably kept my calories in check while doing it.) My calories were too low for way too long doing this, and my thyroid took a serious hit. 5 years later, still haven't fixed it.

sladerunner69

Did you try going very low fat? Im losing pounds each week simply counting my total calories and keeping total fat under 20%, which can be difficult because orginally I would simply excise unsaturated fats from the diet to a large extenet, but ended up eating so much saturated fat in addition to the 300-400 grams of carbs I was eating on a daily basis that I gained about 30 lbs over 3 years, some of it muscle because I am stronger than ever but much of it fat.

EIRE24

THIS. I wouldn't even be here had I never done intermittent fasting (of course, I should've probably kept my calories in check while doing it.) My calories were too low for way too long doing this, and my thyroid took a serious hit. 5 years later, still haven't fixed it.
What specifically is wrong with your thyroid and how do you mean you have not fixed it?

What specifically is wrong with your thyroid and how do you mean you have not fixed it?

I have 'subclinical' hypothyroidism, meaning my TSH is high (last one was 3.57, 6 months ago, and the biggest was 8 about 4 years ago, so I guess I am making some progress...) while my hormones are still in the 'normal' range. I have hypo symptoms. Low energy, low libido, feel like crap, anxiety, mental fatigue, no 'pep'.

Tried supplementing various forms of thyroid and none of them agree with me long term. They either stop working once the TSH drops leaving you back to square one, or I get symptoms of hyperestrogenism, and of course none of them fix the root problem which is that I am just 25 years old and really want my thyroid to work properly on its own as it used to...

My T3 conversion is pretty good but my gland just doesn't put out enough hormone ( T4 ) - total T4 is about 40% of range and FT4 is around 50% of range... ideally would be in the 75% percentile for optimal health.

Doctors of course tell me that my thyroid is 'damaged' but that's not really a satisfactory answer is it... unless half a chunk of it is missing, I'm pretty sure it can be made to work again.

I think the intermittent fasting screwed up my hypothalamus/pituitary making it believe it's still stuck in some kind of famine and downregulating the thyroid... much more likeley than anything being wrong with it.

Trying low fat and coconut oil right now to see if that helps anything...

EIRE24

I have 'subclinical' hypothyroidism, meaning my TSH is high (last one was 3.57, 6 months ago, and the biggest was 8 about 4 years ago, so I guess I am making some progress...) while my hormones are still in the 'normal' range. I have hypo symptoms. Low energy, low libido, feel like crap, anxiety, mental fatigue, no 'pep'.

Tried supplementing various forms of thyroid and none of them agree with me long term. They either stop working once the TSH drops leaving you back to square one, or I get symptoms of hyperestrogenism, and of course none of them fix the root problem which is that I am just 25 years old and really want my thyroid to work properly on its own as it used to...

My T3 conversion is pretty good but my gland just doesn't put out enough hormone ( T4 ) - total T4 is about 40% of range and FT4 is around 50% of range... ideally would be in the 75% percentile for optimal health.

Doctors of course tell me that my thyroid is 'damaged' but that's not really a satisfactory answer is it... unless half a chunk of it is missing, I'm pretty sure it can be made to work again.

I think the intermittent fasting screwed up my hypothalamus/pituitary making it believe it's still stuck in some kind of famine and downregulating the thyroid... much more likeley than anything being wrong with it.

Trying low fat and coconut oil right now to see if that helps anything...
I agree with your thoughts. If I were you I would make sure to get heaps of carbs and adequate protein in. This should help the body with leptin levels to rise and may help with the famine situation.

Djukami

It's easy to get used to. There comes a tipping point where you stop feeling hungry and start feeling good
Caution there. At least, in my experience, I had the same speech as yours. Exactly the same words, I was stop feeling hungry and I was starting feeling good.
However, you will start missing having hunger and you will ask to yourself where is it. Even today I still suffer from not having it. It seems like my body got used to not having it. I mean, I've read people how they do IF, and they apply the word "force" calories during the feeding window. I don't know how you are doing it.
I don't see it as unhealthy or healthy. But if you want to fast, just fast during the night when you are sleeping. Actually, it's what makes most sense.

Last edited:

Djukami

I have hypo symptoms. Low energy, low libido, feel like crap, anxiety, mental fatigue, no 'pep'.

Damn, I really feel you. Do you remember also start having cold hands and feet during IF and feel really cold and thinking this is all a good thing?
How your health was before doing IF?

You've said some interesting things there. Perhaps I am in the same situation...

P.S.: jesus, my cognitive skills are so weak, my mind is so sluggish. In every sentence, I have an orthography error. I remembering when I was in the primary school seeing other people and thinking that they were dumb for making errors. Now I understand what was going on to them...

Last edited:

EIRE24

True. If you can live at a high elevation and eat pristine for awhile you can undo a lot.
There has been studies that show refeeding would sort out most if not all of the problems encountered by IF. I think IF can work if the feeding window has sufficient calories and mainly made up of the pro metabolic foods.

B

Braveheart

Djukami...."I don't see it as unhealthy or healthy. But if you want to fast, just fast during the night when you are sleeping. Actually, it's what makes most sense.."

and sufficient calories w no deficiencies during the day.....

haidut

Forum Supporter
could this be something to do with the large bolus of food in a smaller window- as opposed to smaller amounts over the daytime feeding.. this has been my main issue with trying fasting. I feel like I eat so much in that shorter window and my blood sugars go all over the shop..

It depends on the makeup of the food. Even smaller portions of starch with protein like meat, both of which raises insulin a lot, can cause issues. Milk and sucrose, or starch with saturated fat have much lower glycemic response and are easier on the body. The portions size matter more in terms of calories from fat, which should be kept lower if the person wants to lose weight.

Tarmander

There has been studies that show refeeding would sort out most if not all of the problems encountered by IF. I think IF can work if the feeding window has sufficient calories and mainly made up of the pro metabolic foods.
Tell that to Myusernamehere above.

Tell that to Myusernamehere above.

Yep. After IF I weighed 145 lbs and tons of health issues. Started eating MASSIVE to fix everything, had 3,500+ calories of high quality foods (mostly Peat stuff) every day, for a year and a half... only thing happened was gained 60 lbs, that's right weight shot up to 210 lbs... TSH dropped from 8 to 6 LOL big success... didn't fix anything.

Now, back down to 150 lbs eating normal amounts of Peatarian food... TSH down to 3 several years later, but still a lot of hypo symptoms. You would think that overeating would fix what undereating breaks, but it's not that simple unfortunately.

Djukami

Djukami...."I don't see it as unhealthy or healthy. But if you want to fast, just fast during the night when you are sleeping. Actually, it's what makes most sense.."

and sufficient calories w no deficiencies during the day.....
Indeed, that's also very important.