I'm Getting Hairy

berk

its a sign that your body is healthy.
Thousands or athletes around the word has increases body hair when they start following healthy life styles.
Body got healthy, its increase metabolism and testosterone by exercising and body hair start te grow.
Its a good sign, so stop worrying about it.

Wel my advice is not to shave it, when you start shaving it, you are activating hair growth even more and then you start looking at this guy :D (world strongest man)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bg73oRVCcAEz6en.jpg

redsun

For those of you asking for numbers...

DHT - 881 (250-990)
Prolactin - 11 (4-15)
SHBG - 29 (18-54)

@Kunstruct I disagree that a number on the higher end of the range is nothing to worry about in the context of MPB.

Havent looked at this thread in a bit but if you had weight to lose and lost it SHBG would go up considerably. Also prolactin can lower shbg as well. Anything that promotes higher dopamine levels via cofactors such as iron, B6, BH4 (folate and vitamin C), etc works in this manner. If you were restricting iron in the diet I would suggest getting more heme iron from beef which will play a role in lowering prolactin as well as the high B6 and zinc content beef provides which also each play a role in lowering prolactin.

I think the best preventative measure to stop further hair growth in odd places is loss of bodyfat if its is higher than normal because of its significant effects on shbg. I also think prolactin is of course pretty high regardless of it being in reference range, its getting up towards to the top range. I forget rays exact recommendation but I believe he recommended it in the low single digits.

Kvothe

Havent looked at this thread in a bit but if you had weight to lose and lost it SHBG would go up considerably. Also prolactin can lower shbg as well. Anything that promotes higher dopamine levels via cofactors such as iron, B6, BH4 (folate and vitamin C), etc works in this manner. If you were restricting iron in the diet I would suggest getting more heme iron from beef which will play a role in lowering prolactin as well as the high B6 and zinc content beef provides which also each play a role in lowering prolactin.

I think the best preventative measure to stop further hair growth in odd places is loss of bodyfat if its is higher than normal because of its significant effects on shbg. I also think prolactin is of course pretty high regardless of it being in reference range, its getting up towards to the top range. I forget rays exact recommendation but I believe he recommended it in the low single digits.

Just because SHBG and prolactin are correlated, doesn't mean that simply loosing weight will automatically lower prolactin or increase SHBG. As far as diet goes, the two factors that are significantly correlated with SHBG are protein and fiber. Protein is the only macronutrient negatively correlated with SHBG. If one's goal is to increase testosterone and SHBG, and lower prolactin, eating a LPHC diet might be the way to go. Insulin and insulin resistance are very strongly, negatively correlated with SHBG, and the best way to lower fasting insulin and increase in insulin sensitivity is eating a low protein diet, at least in animal models.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Jan;85(1):293-6.
Diet and sex hormone-binding globulin.
Longcope C1, Feldman HA, McKinlay JB, Araujo AB.

Abstract
The serum concentration of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) is inversely related to weight and in animal studies is inversely related to protein intake. As SHBG can affect the biological activity of testosterone and estradiol, we wished to determine the role of protein intake on SHBG levels in men. Using data from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study we examined cross-sectional relationships between dietary components and SHBG levels in 1552 men (aged 40-70 yr) for whom these factors were known. Analyzed by multiple regression, controlling for testosterone and estradiol levels, age (P<0.001) and fiber intake (P = 0.02) were positively correlated to SHBG concentration, whereas body mass index (P<0.001) and protein intake (P<0.03) were negatively correlated to SHBG concentration. The intakes of calories, fat (animal or vegetable), and carbohydrate were not related to SHBG concentration. We conclude that age and body mass index are major determinants of SHBG concentrations in older men, and fiber and protein intake are also significant contributors to SHBG levels, but total caloric intake and the intake of carbohydrate or fat are not significant. Thus, diets low in protein in elderly men may lead to elevated SHBG levels and decreased testosterone bioactivity. The decrease in bioavailable testosterone can then result in declines in sexual function and

Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1990 Sep;33(3):415-22.
Decreased sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP-1) in extreme obesity.
Weaver JU1, Holly JM, Kopelman PG, Noonan K, Giadom CG, White N, Virdee S, Wass JA.

Abstract
Obesity may be characterized by abnormal sex steroid secretion and reduced sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) which in turn is related to fat distribution and insulin secretion. Recent in-vitro and in-vivo evidence suggests that insulin is the common mechanism regulating the secretion of SHBG and insulin-like growth factor small binding protein (IGFBP-1). IGFBP-1 appears not only to be a carrier for insulin growth factors (IGFs) but also to play an active role in growth processes, independent of growth hormone secretion. We have examined the possible relationship between fasting insulin, SHBG, testosterone, IGF-1, IGFBP-1 and fat distribution in 25 extremely obese, menstruating women (mean weight 107 +/- 3 kg) with normal glucose tolerance. Fat distribution was assessed from measurements of the waist to hip ratio (W/H). The obese women showed an elevated fasting insulin (mean +/- SEM; 21 +/- 2 mumol/l), a normal IGF-1, but reduced IGFBP-1 (14.6 +/- 2 micrograms/l); in 15 women IGFBP-1 levels were undetectable by the present assay. In addition, SHBG levels were reduced in the obese women (24 +/- 2 nmol/l) but total testosterone values (1.9 +/- 0.1 nmol/l) were normal. The elevated fasting insulin levels were positively correlated with increasing upper segment obesity as expressed by a rising W/H ratio (P less than 0.01, r2 = 0.306) and inversely correlated with SHBG (P less than 0.01, r2 = 0.483). Similarly, reduced SHBG values showed an inverse correlation with increasing W/H ratio (P less than 0.001, r2 = 0.383). No correlation was found between IGFBP-1 and W/H ratio but a strong positive correlation was seen between IGFBP-1 and SHBG (P less than 0.001, r2 = 0.466). Furthermore, an equally significant inverse correlation was found between IGFBP-1 and insulin levels (P less than 0.001, r2 = 0.474).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS).

redsun

Just because SHBG and prolactin are correlated, doesn't mean that simply loosing weight will automatically lower prolactin or increase SHBG. As far as diet goes, the two factors that are significantly correlated with SHBG are protein and fiber. Protein is the only macronutrient negatively correlated with SHBG. If one's goal is to increase testosterone and SHBG, and lower prolactin, eating a LPHC diet might be the way to go. Insulin and insulin resistance are very strongly, negatively correlated with SHBG, and the best way to lower fasting insulin and increase in insulin sensitivity is eating a low protein diet, at least in animal models.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000 Jan;85(1):293-6.
Diet and sex hormone-binding globulin.
Longcope C1, Feldman HA, McKinlay JB, Araujo AB.

Abstract
The serum concentration of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) is inversely related to weight and in animal studies is inversely related to protein intake. As SHBG can affect the biological activity of testosterone and estradiol, we wished to determine the role of protein intake on SHBG levels in men. Using data from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study we examined cross-sectional relationships between dietary components and SHBG levels in 1552 men (aged 40-70 yr) for whom these factors were known. Analyzed by multiple regression, controlling for testosterone and estradiol levels, age (P<0.001) and fiber intake (P = 0.02) were positively correlated to SHBG concentration, whereas body mass index (P<0.001) and protein intake (P<0.03) were negatively correlated to SHBG concentration. The intakes of calories, fat (animal or vegetable), and carbohydrate were not related to SHBG concentration. We conclude that age and body mass index are major determinants of SHBG concentrations in older men, and fiber and protein intake are also significant contributors to SHBG levels, but total caloric intake and the intake of carbohydrate or fat are not significant. Thus, diets low in protein in elderly men may lead to elevated SHBG levels and decreased testosterone bioactivity. The decrease in bioavailable testosterone can then result in declines in sexual function and

Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1990 Sep;33(3):415-22.
Decreased sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) and insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP-1) in extreme obesity.
Weaver JU1, Holly JM, Kopelman PG, Noonan K, Giadom CG, White N, Virdee S, Wass JA.

Abstract
Obesity may be characterized by abnormal sex steroid secretion and reduced sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) which in turn is related to fat distribution and insulin secretion. Recent in-vitro and in-vivo evidence suggests that insulin is the common mechanism regulating the secretion of SHBG and insulin-like growth factor small binding protein (IGFBP-1). IGFBP-1 appears not only to be a carrier for insulin growth factors (IGFs) but also to play an active role in growth processes, independent of growth hormone secretion. We have examined the possible relationship between fasting insulin, SHBG, testosterone, IGF-1, IGFBP-1 and fat distribution in 25 extremely obese, menstruating women (mean weight 107 +/- 3 kg) with normal glucose tolerance. Fat distribution was assessed from measurements of the waist to hip ratio (W/H). The obese women showed an elevated fasting insulin (mean +/- SEM; 21 +/- 2 mumol/l), a normal IGF-1, but reduced IGFBP-1 (14.6 +/- 2 micrograms/l); in 15 women IGFBP-1 levels were undetectable by the present assay. In addition, SHBG levels were reduced in the obese women (24 +/- 2 nmol/l) but total testosterone values (1.9 +/- 0.1 nmol/l) were normal. The elevated fasting insulin levels were positively correlated with increasing upper segment obesity as expressed by a rising W/H ratio (P less than 0.01, r2 = 0.306) and inversely correlated with SHBG (P less than 0.01, r2 = 0.483). Similarly, reduced SHBG values showed an inverse correlation with increasing W/H ratio (P less than 0.001, r2 = 0.383). No correlation was found between IGFBP-1 and W/H ratio but a strong positive correlation was seen between IGFBP-1 and SHBG (P less than 0.001, r2 = 0.466). Furthermore, an equally significant inverse correlation was found between IGFBP-1 and insulin levels (P less than 0.001, r2 = 0.474).(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS).

I never said prolactin will lower if you lose weight. I said by increasing dopamine prolactin will lower. There are multiple studies showing weight loss raises SHBG.

A low protein diet lowering prolactin? That's funny because the typical dopamine boosting stack uses BCAAs and tyrosine/phenylalanine. Doesnt mean you need insane protein intake, but low protein diet would not lower prolactin.

GreekDemiGod

In the past year, I have been getting
  • Increased chest hair
  • Increased hair on my hands /palms
  • Increased isolated hairs on back, biceps
I'm suspicious.

berk

• Increased chest hair
I'm suspicious.
i had this to when i started a healthy lifestyle and doing sports.

i couple years ago i was speaking with a specialized animal doctor at the zoo and he was telling that if monkeys getting sick that body hair was going very thin and lose some hair.
Then when monkeys start to heal again and become healthy again, there body hair was coming back and got very thick.
Because we humans evolve from monkeys we have a lot in common.
I think that all the people that have very less body hair that there is something wrong going on.
Some unstabilized hormones i gues. (No wondering with all these unhealthy life style these days)
And like i sad, it is very coincidental that most of the people that starting a healty lifestyle and doing sports are getting hairy al over the place.

InChristAlone

i couple years ago i was speaking with a specialized animal doctor at the zoo and he was telling that if monkeys getting sick that body hair was going very thin and lose some hair.
Then when monkeys start to heal again and become healthy again, there body hair was coming back and got very thick.
I think that all the people that have very less body hair that there is something wrong going on.
Some unstabilized hormones i gues. (No wondering with all these unhealthy life style these days)
And like i sad, it is very coincidental that most of the people that starting a healty lifestyle and doing sports are getting hairy al over the place.
Thanks for talking some sense. People are getting concerned over nothing.

redsun

You are seriously comparing hairy monkeys to humans lmao. Humans are not meant to have much body hair unlike the vast majority of animals in the animal kingdom. Good dht levels will cause males to develop a decent amount of hair on the forearms and legs but thats about it. Humans have no use for an excessive hairy body. We are meant to be generally hairless save for a few spots. Thats why we have clothing.

A stereotypical peat type diet has high methionine to histidine ratio, high calcium (can be but may not necessarily be excessive intake), high vitamin C and copper intake. All these characteristics reduce histamine which can be a lifesaver for someone who has high histamine issues but in the long run promotes body hair growth if histamine is consistently and excessively lowered, this is very individual and depends on the person. There other factors as well like SHBG already mentioned that affect this as well.

Kvothe

I never said prolactin will lower if you lose weight. I said by increasing dopamine prolactin will lower. There are multiple studies showing weight loss raises SHBG.

A low protein diet lowering prolactin? That's funny because the typical dopamine boosting stack uses BCAAs and tyrosine/phenylalanine. Doesnt mean you need insane protein intake, but low protein diet would not lower prolactin.

Very little dietary protein is needed to provide sufficient amounts of precursors for neurotransmitters like dopamine. I already explained how a LPHC might affect prolactin (via the drastically improved insulin function), and there is direct evidence supporting this theory.

Anat Rec. 1998 May;251(1):37-43.
Effects of a low-protein diet on prolactin- and growth hormone-producing cells in the rat pituitary gland.
Hara M1, Herbert DC, Taniguchi T, Hattori A, Ohtani-Kaneko R, Iigo M, Kato Y, Hirata K.
BACKGROUND:
It is well known that an unbalanced diet induces various changes in the pituitary gland. However, little attention has been paid to the molecular aspects of this perturbation. We studied the influence of a low-protein diet (LPD) on the prolactin (PRL) and growth hormone (GH) cells in the rat pituitary gland using immunohistochemical staining and in situ hybridization.
MATERIALS:
Rats aged 20 days were fed a diet containing 27% protein or one with 8% protein (LPD) for 30 days.
Pituitary glands were obtained and subjected to either immunohistochemistry or in situ hybridization. Quantitative morphological analysis was then conducted to determine cell number and area as well as the percentage of cells stained by the respective antisera and/or cDNA probe in each experimental group.
RESULTS:
The average sectional areas of both PRL- and GH-producing cells in the LPD group were smaller in size than those in the controls.
The cell numbers per unit area (mm2) of PRL-positive cells and PRL mRNA-positive cells were 3,596.5 and 3,948.6, respectively, in the LPD group, and 3,179.6 and 4,888.5, respectively, in the controls. The numbers per unit area of GH-positive cells and GH mRNA-positive cells in the LPD group were similar (2,252.3 and 2,224.4), as compared to 2,161.3 and 1,684.2, respectively, in the well-fed rats. Whereas PRL-positive cells comprised about 27% of the total number of cells in both animal groups, those given the LPD contained a lower percentage (29%) of PRL mRNA-positive cells as compared to the controls (44%). On the other hand, GH mRNA-positive cells numbered about 15% of the total cell population both animal groups; however, the malnourished rats contained a lower percentage (16%) of GH-positive cells than did their well-fed counterparts (20%).
CONCLUSIONS:
Taken together, these results indicate that in the rat pituitary gland, administration of an LPD reduced the size of PRL- and GH-positive cells as well as differentially affecting a subpopulation of the PRL mRNA-positive cells and the GH-positive cells.

Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 May;1848(5):1157-64. doi: 10.1016/j.bbamem.2015.02.011. Epub 2015 Feb 17.
Prolactin and the dietary protein/carbohydrate ratio regulate the expression of SNAT2 amino acid transporter in the mammary gland during lactation.
Velázquez-Villegas LA1, López-Barradas AM1, Torres N1, Hernández-Pando R2, León-Contreras JC2, Granados O1, Ortíz V1, Tovar AR3.

The sodium coupled neutral amino acid transporter 2 (SNAT2/SAT2/ATA2) is expressed in the mammary gland (MG) and plays an important role in the uptake of alanine and glutamine which are the most abundant amino acids transported into this tissue during lactation. Thus, the aim of this study was to assess the amount and localization of SNAT2 before delivery and during lactation in rat MG, and to evaluate whether prolactin and the dietary protein/carbohydrate ratio might influence SNAT2 expression in the MG, liver and adipose tissue during lactation. Our results showed that SNAT2 protein abundance in the MG increased during lactation and this increase was maintained along this period, while 24 h after weaning it tended to decrease. To study the effect of prolactin on SNAT2 expression, we incubated MG explants or T47D cells transfected with the SNAT2 promoter with prolactin, and we observed in both studies an increase in the SNAT2 expression or promoter activity. Consumption of a high-protein/low carbohydrate diet increased prolactin concentration, with a concomitant increase in SNAT2 expression not only in the MG during lactation, but also in the liver and adipose tissue. There was a correlation between SNAT2 expression and serum prolactin levels depending on the amount of dietary protein/carbohydrate ratio consumed. These findings suggest that prolactin actively supports lactation providing amino acids to the gland through SNAT2 for the synthesis of milk proteins.

Last edited:

mangoes

That’s right we should all be hairy monkeys
dUnXjEt.jpeg

because.. health and we’re monkeys?

what of the correlation between cushings and hypertrichosis as seen here?
SsG50aN.gif

or malignant cancer, malnutrition?

Last edited:

InChristAlone

That’s right we should all be hairy monkeys
dUnXjEt.jpeg

because.. health and we’re monkeys?

what of the correlation between cushings and hypertrichosis as seen here?
SsG50aN.gif

or malignant cancer, malnutrition?
Clearly not all men with body hair are dealing with disease. And I doubt Berk was saying we should look like monkeys. I have had dark hair in places I wish I didn't since puberty. Am I broken? Please tell me I'm diseased so I can spend all my time trying to reverse it instead of enjoying my life.

Kvothe

Clearly not all men with body hair are dealing with disease. And I doubt Berk was saying we should look like monkeys. I have had dark hair in places I wish I didn't since puberty. Am I broken? Please tell me I'm diseased so I can spend all my time trying to reverse it instead of enjoying my life.

I think no one is saying that,and almost all men are "dealing" with some increasing body hair growth after puberty. I think the general consensus here is that increased body hair is correlated with adverse metabolic patterns. Hypothyroid children often have strong, sudden spurts of body hair growth that disappear when thyroid function is corrected, and I have seen and heard of the same happening in adults.

Last edited:

mangoes

The post above by Kvothe pretty much sums it up

revenant

Do you have random long black hairs on your arms? I used to have relatively unhairy arms, but when my health went downhill to stress a few years back, these random long buggers started appearing, as well as isolated black eyelash-sized hairs on my upper arms and shoulders.

I'm hoping these things can be reversed. Maybe thyroid or pregnenolone?

The other day I noticed that the hair growth on my legs has decreased after a year or so of Peating. Still the same number of hairs I guess but thinner. Hair growth on the head and beard seems normal.

Also, when I was doing low-carb, fasting etc. I eventually started growing these random, long black hairs you mention on my shoulders and back. Also some on my stomach. Those probably meant that something was not going well.

OP
Orangeyouglad

Orangeyouglad

• Increased chest hair
I'm suspicious.

Why? Fishin' for pics?

Thanks for talking some sense. People are getting concerned over nothing.

When you start growing hair in less than desirable places, it's cause for concern or at least something to think about, especially when it seems to be correlated with RP related principles. I've felt better than I have in years, but this is an unwanted side effect that is more than just a little chest hair. I'm trying to understand the mechanism.

Gone Peating

sarcasm. ;-)

It’s estimated we needed a couple of thousand beneficial mutations to evolve from chimpanzees.

Do some research on how rare beneficial mutations are (they typically either have no effect or lead to cancer) and you’ll begin to see how impossible it is that we evolved from monkeys in just a few million years

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals