I'm Getting A Message From All Browsers About Forum's Security Certificate

whodathunkit

Charlie, just FYI. Both Firefox and whatever the Microsoft browser is calling itself now are throwing up security warnings about the forum when I try to visit. "Certificate error".

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh the certificate expired this morning, my apologies. I am working on getting a new certificate now.

You are absolutely fine surfing/posting the forum, the error message you get is just standard protocol when there is something wrong with a SSL certificate.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have ordered two SSL certificates, one for raypeatforum.com and one for wiki.raypeatforum.com. :)

I am having the hosting company take care of the install, not sure how long it will take but they say within 24 hours. Although I do not think it will take that long.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Thanks, Charlie!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
We ran into some issues installing the new certificates due to the security we use here. In the process of working through it and will update with more information later. Thank you for your patience. :hattip

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Everything is set up and done on our end, we are just waiting for our security service to reply. It's taking them a while, I think maybe they started their holiday weekend early. :waiting

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Making good progress now. Looks like we are totally back up. There is one file that is breaking the SSL lock so I am looking into that now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
First let me sincerely apologize for the downtime today. I take full responsibility for this one as I dropped the ball and completely missed the SSL certificate renewal for our server. We have SSL certificates for our main server, the cdn server(Keycdn), and also on the security server we run. And there is literally no excuse for missing our main server SSL renewal other then I just flat out missed it. :oops:

The forum is now back under green lock and we are good to go. I noticed the wiki lock is broken, I will look into that tomorrow but the wiki is fully accessible right now.

Regarding the security notices you got today. There is no issues and the system was not compromised. That is the standard notice when there is a problem with the SSL certificate.

:hattip

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh and I did try to revert the site back to http while waiting for the https stuff to wrap up. But since we ran STS most browsers cached the https so that was a no go for most people. Wasn't much I could do about that. :bag:

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Yeah, all's good. Thank you, Charlie! :hattip:D

javacody

Charlie, Chrome wouldn't met me access the forum at all. I was freaking out. There is so much information here. I was seriously stressed.

Turns out, when Chrome is giving you the warning you can type "badidea" on the webpage and it will load. Huge relief after I found that out!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Charlie, Chrome wouldn't met me access the forum at all. I was freaking out. There is so much information here. I was seriously stressed.

Turns out, when Chrome is giving you the warning you can type "badidea" on the webpage and it will load. Huge relief after I found that out!
Yeh Chromium completely locked me out, did not know about the badidea hack so I just flipped over to firefox and made a security exception for the forum. There were a few of us here yesterday that were able to get through, but not many.

No worries about the information, I run backups of the backups of the backups. :D

Oh and I decided to pass off the blame to @Such_Saturation since he was the person who purchased the SSL last year. He clearly failed to notify me that we were coming due. :ss2

It did take a bit extra longer yesterday then it should have because the hosting company was cool enough to comp me a couple SSL certificates. Thanks guys! But they had to go through the proper channels to get things approved, so that set us back a bit.

javacody

Yeh Chromium completely locked me out, did not know about the badidea hack so I just flipped over to firefox and made a security exception for the forum. There were a few of us here yesterday that were able to get through, but not many.

No worries about the information, I run backups of the backups of the backups. :D

Oh and I decided to pass off the blame to @Such_Saturation since he was the person who purchased the SSL last year. He clearly failed to notify me that we were coming due. :ss2

It did take a bit extra longer yesterday then it should have because the hosting company was cool enough to comp me a couple SSL certificates. Thanks guys! But they had to go through the proper channels to get things approved, so that set us back a bit.

It just goes to show that you don't appreciate something fully until it gets taken away. I need my daily fix of raypeatforum.com...

L

lollipop

Must say I agree with the "daily fix" like @javacody :):

AND also I had a momentary concern --- and then, I took a few breaths because I knew @charlie would be on it! He gives me soooo much confidence :extinguishflame:thankyoublue

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals