I'm desperate, prolactin is out of control despite taking anti-prolactin substances

Ulysses

Sounds like a pituitary tumor. I wouldn't panic, they're usually benign as far as I know, but have someone take a look and rule that out.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

Sounds like a pituitary tumor. I wouldn't panic, they're usually benign as far as I know, but have someone take a look and rule that out.

I said no to an MRI to the endocrinologist because MRIs are usually done when prolactin is 100+.

9 months ago my prolactin was 8.6, so I doubt I have a tumor.

Thanks for the comment.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

I finally got my serotonin result.

After using Metergoline for a month my serotonin result went from 199 to 157.

If serotonin is the major promoter of prolactin secretion, how could my prolactin increase so much despite a considerable reduction in blood serotonin?

Blood tests can be so confusing....

A.R

I finally got my serotonin result.

After using Metergoline for a month my serotonin result went from 199 to 157.

If serotonin is the major promoter of prolactin secretion, how could my prolactin increase so much despite a considerable reduction in blood serotonin?

Blood tests can be so confusing....
How are you feeling now in regards to your prolactin?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found this quote from a book:

Martin, C. Endocrine Physiology. 1985 "....and sharp peaks have been observed following food ingestion"

I had a light breakfast 50 minutes before the test. Wonder if that had an effect...
It’s typically highest in the morning and eating will temporarily cause it to rise. I’d test again while fasting in the late morning/early afternoon.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I said no to an MRI to the endocrinologist because MRIs are usually done when prolactin is 100+.

9 months ago my prolactin was 8.6, so I doubt I have a tumor.

Thanks for the comment.
I have a history of a prolactinoma with a prolactin level of >120 yet I haven’t been able to get any doctor to order an mri in the last several years because I’ve successfully lowered my prolactin on my own. Doctors sadly are of very little help when it comes to elevated prolactin and one even got very indignant with me for suggesting my adenoma could have flared. I’m on my own with it now and just check my levels periodically. Best wishes to you!

L_C

I have a history of a prolactinoma with a prolactin level of >120 yet I haven’t been able to get any doctor to order an mri in the last several years because I’ve successfully lowered my prolactin on my own. Doctors sadly are of very little help when it comes to elevated prolactin and one even got very indignant with me for suggesting my adenoma could have flared. I’m on my own with it now and just check my levels periodically. Best wishes to you!
How did you lower prolactin?

Have you ever tested PTH?

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

How are you feeling now in regards to your prolactin?

I retested 3 months ago and thankfully it was lower, 15 while fasting in the morning. Too high to me still. Idealabs hair steroid test showed high levels of estrogen and corticosterone. I'm clearly aromatizing something I'm taking. I wi retest again in a month or so. I have been taking vitamin E religiously.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How did you lower prolactin?

Have you ever tested PTH?
I haven’t tested PTH.
When I started reading Peat, eating enough, and paying attention to managing stress, sleep and light it started being easier to manage. I had to cycle things like lisuride and bromocriptine for a few years but haven’t needed those meds since 2018.

A.R

I retested 3 months ago and thankfully it was lower, 15 while fasting in the morning. Too high to me still. Idealabs hair steroid test showed high levels of estrogen and corticosterone. I'm clearly aromatizing something I'm taking. I wi retest again in a month or so. I have been taking vitamin E religiously.
If you don’t mind me asking what is your approximate body fat? Higher the body fat, more estrogen stored in the fatty tissue. You want to also be taking k2 mk4 if you are taking high doses vitamin e. (I presume you are). I think the pansterone on scrotum was really messing you up.

Grapelander

A sinus infection could create pressure on pituitary gland increasing prolactin.
Hyperprolactinemia Secondary to Allergic Fungal Sinusitis Compressing the Pituitary Gland
We aim to describe the first case in the literature of allergic fungal sinusitis (AFS) presenting with hyperprolactinemia due to compression of the pituitary gland.
Patient was placed on cabergoline for symptomatic control until definitive treatment. Results. The patient underwent right endoscopic sphenoidotomy, which revealed nasal polyps and fungal debris in the sphenoid sinus, consistent with AFS.
Prolactin levels normalized four weeks after surgery with resolution of symptoms.

You could try 'neti' with Jasmine flower extract (you'll probably need to make).
Jasmine flower extract lowers prolactin
Jasmine flowers used topically were as effective as oral Bromocriptine in suppressing puerperal lactation.
An aqueous-ethanol extract of jasmine flowers was prepared and used as nasal drops.
Ten out of 35 women had a significant drop in the serum prolactin while on the JFE. The non-responders to JFE were on higher doses of antipsychotic drugs. The main side effect was a transient and mild burning sensation in the nose. A cost analysis favoured JFE over dopamine agonists.

Research thyroid.
Primary Hypothyroidism with Exceptionally High Prolactin-A Really Big Deal
Primary hypothyroidism can cause both hyperprolactinemia and pituitary hyperplasia. The degree of hyperprolactinemia is generally modest, and rarely do prolactin concentrations exceed 100 ng/mL (4.34 nmol/L). This combination of hyperprolactinemia and pituitary gland enlargement might raise suspicion for a prolactinoma or a nonfunctioning adenoma limiting the ability of hypothalamic dopamine to inhibit prolactin production, the so-called "stalk effect."
Primary hypothyroidism can cause hyperprolactinemia, and prolonged disease may lead to pituitary hyperplasia. However, a marked elevation of prolactin should raise suspicion to investigate additional etiologies for hyperprolactinemia.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

If you don’t mind me asking what is your approximate body fat? Higher the body fat, more estrogen stored in the fatty tissue. You want to also be taking k2 mk4 if you are taking high doses vitamin e. (I presume you are). I think the pansterone on scrotum was really messing you up.

I take about 10 drops of Tocovit sublingually. I do vitamin K almost everyday, Kuinone in olive oil, about 8 drops. Pansterone in scrotum I barely did 1 drop per day for a month but yeah, I don't think it was doing any good. I scaled back DHEA almost completely. No more than 1mg topically per day.

I am 1.79m and weigh 82 kilos. I'm not ripped but don't carry that much body fat either. My ideal weight Is probably 79 kilos based on my body composition. Lifting weights without going to exhaustion is key I think. I'm trying to be more regular about it.

OP
tastyfood

tastyfood

A sinus infection could create pressure on pituitary gland increasing prolactin.
Hyperprolactinemia Secondary to Allergic Fungal Sinusitis Compressing the Pituitary Gland
We aim to describe the first case in the literature of allergic fungal sinusitis (AFS) presenting with hyperprolactinemia due to compression of the pituitary gland.
Patient was placed on cabergoline for symptomatic control until definitive treatment. Results. The patient underwent right endoscopic sphenoidotomy, which revealed nasal polyps and fungal debris in the sphenoid sinus, consistent with AFS.
Prolactin levels normalized four weeks after surgery with resolution of symptoms.

You could try 'neti' with Jasmine flower extract (you'll probably need to make).
Jasmine flower extract lowers prolactin
Jasmine flowers used topically were as effective as oral Bromocriptine in suppressing puerperal lactation.
An aqueous-ethanol extract of jasmine flowers was prepared and used as nasal drops.
Ten out of 35 women had a significant drop in the serum prolactin while on the JFE. The non-responders to JFE were on higher doses of antipsychotic drugs. The main side effect was a transient and mild burning sensation in the nose. A cost analysis favoured JFE over dopamine agonists.

Research thyroid.
Primary Hypothyroidism with Exceptionally High Prolactin-A Really Big Deal
Primary hypothyroidism can cause both hyperprolactinemia and pituitary hyperplasia. The degree of hyperprolactinemia is generally modest, and rarely do prolactin concentrations exceed 100 ng/mL (4.34 nmol/L). This combination of hyperprolactinemia and pituitary gland enlargement might raise suspicion for a prolactinoma or a nonfunctioning adenoma limiting the ability of hypothalamic dopamine to inhibit prolactin production, the so-called "stalk effect."
Primary hypothyroidism can cause hyperprolactinemia, and prolonged disease may lead to pituitary hyperplasia. However, a marked elevation of prolactin should raise suspicion to investigate additional etiologies for hyperprolactinemia.

Thanks for the comment!