Igf-1 Reduces Greatly After Milk Fermentation

Amazoniac

Humans,
pboy,

This study is the one I was reffering to in my unpopular personal thread on cheeses.
It looks like fermentation reduces greatly the amount of IGF-1 in milch and this is particularly relevant for those that struggle with acne since it can interfere with skin cell turn-over and sebum production on those that are susceptible.
Inflammation is also involved and that probably involves gut barrier disruption of some sort and elevated stress hormones.
http://www.journalofdairyscience.org/ar ... 22-0302(06)72104-X/
"Interestingly, IGF-I concentrations decreased dramatically, from 30.3 ± 7.5 to 5.0 ± 2.2 ng/mL, after the completion of fermentation (Table 3)."
This is a lot.

I suspect that fresh cheeses are more problematic (for acne) because the bacterial fermentation is not significant to affect the IGF-1 (and possibly other compounds as well) and you discart the whey along with a lot of the B vits that many people with acne are deficient in. Aged cheeses probably require more yeasts than bacteria since the sugars become scarce, and yeasts have mitochondria to utilize fats for energy, and since those effects on IGF-1 from the study were rapid and in cool environment, I guess bacteria seem responsible for that reduction.

jyb

Amazoniac said:
This study is the one I was reffering to in my unpopular personal thread on cheeses.
It looks like fermentation reduces greatly the amount of IGF-1 in milch and this is particularly relevant for those that struggle with acne since it can interfere with skin cell turn-over and sebum production on those that are susceptible.

It also degrades some other controversial proteins and hormones and changes insulin response, I can imagine additional explanations for why it could be good for acne. I would agree from my experience that fermentation only seems to do good with respect to acne. Note that you can achieve a good degradation with just a day or so when using kefir - duration is not the only variable.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Skin sebum are formed mainly by triglycerides, waxes, squalene (which spparently oxidize easily without enough vit E, which have more receptors for it in skin areas that are more oily) and some cholesterol (vit D?). Inflammation, as in blocked pores with bacterial overgrowth, damaged lipids reacting to the enviroent (and lack of antioxidants) and stress all might play a role. I've read some studies suggesting that chronically elevated stress hormones not only decreases available aox defenses but also signals the body to expect some damage and increase inflammation close to the skin, and also increase the amount of some PUFAs that are known for their antimicrobial properties.
So, I'm not sure if dietary fats influence enough the lipids on our skin:
They can't be short and medium-chain because the purpose of the skin as far as I know is to prevent excessive water exchange with the environment, and those types of fats are less hydrophobic than longer chains.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

And just like Ray warns against the consumption of stressed plants, that use a greater portion of their energy to produce toxins; someone chronically stressed lives in an inflammatory state, and that includes the skin and would probably be protective against external damagein the short term. It's well known that acne in students get worse during exams.
It's also well known that elevated stress hormones immediately decrease circulating pboysterone, and as soon as that happens you can measure increased levels of dumbesterone in the brain and uglyonenone in the skin.

On a side note, but still under the subject of inflammation, I always wondered why in studies, healthy subjects get infused with a lot of gases and don't experience any discomfort while people with bowel disorders do. The "increased sensitivity and perception" theory seems bs to me. Everyone that have experienced significant bloating knows that something is wrong, not just increased awareness. And I just discovered that bowel inflammation, even if temporary, interferes with the diffusion of gases throughout the intestines. Most of the time they have nowhere to go, especially considering that with decreased motility and peristalsis makes it difficult to expell and at the same time obstruct the way up due to increased transit time. Add to that the fact that people that experience bloating usually have metabolic problems and that can contribute to bacterial build up when food moves slowly. Even not enough bile (common in decreased metabolisms and nutritional deficiencies) can contribute to an excessively acidic environment that disrupts small intestine mucosal barrier and interferes with our immunity in that area..

And jyb, you're not alone. Many people that have acne problems report better results with yogurt than with other dairies.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals