If You've Had Cancer, What Do You Think Causes Cancer?

GreenTrails

This question is to those of you who have had, or have presently, cancer. I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer, had the mammograms, had the biopsies, and two weeks ago had a bilateral masectomy. I have always been very health conscious, very physically active, exercise every day, walking and weights. I have always been careful with my diet, avoiding sugar and any kind of processed foods or drinks, a lifelong habit. I have taken supplements which I thought were good for me; mainly vitamin D and magnesium. No drugs. I used bioidentical hormones. My PCP has always told me that I'm very healthy. I weigh around 120 lbs. and I am 5'6". I've never been overweight. I know my PCP thinks the cancer is from taking the hormones. I don't know. Myself, I think my cancer was caused by a dental implant surgery in which the dentist used lots of CT scans instead of regular dental X-rays. That and possibly stress.

Nicole W.

This question is to those of you who have had, or have presently, cancer. I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer, had the mammograms, had the biopsies, and two weeks ago had a bilateral masectomy. I have always been very health conscious, very physically active, exercise every day, walking and weights. I have always been careful with my diet, avoiding sugar and any kind of processed foods or drinks, a lifelong habit. I have taken supplements which I thought were good for me; mainly vitamin D and magnesium. No drugs. I used bioidentical hormones. My PCP has always told me that I'm very healthy. I weigh around 120 lbs. and I am 5'6". I've never been overweight. I know my PCP thinks the cancer is from taking the hormones. I don't know. Myself, I think my cancer was caused by a dental implant surgery in which the dentist used lots of CT scans instead of regular dental X-rays. That and possibly stress.[
What kind of bioidentical hormones?

Nicole W.

This question is to those of you who have had, or have presently, cancer. I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer, had the mammograms, had the biopsies, and two weeks ago had a bilateral masectomy. I have always been very health conscious, very physically active, exercise every day, walking and weights. I have always been careful with my diet, avoiding sugar and any kind of processed foods or drinks, a lifelong habit. I have taken supplements which I thought were good for me; mainly vitamin D and magnesium. No drugs. I used bioidentical hormones. My PCP has always told me that I'm very healthy. I weigh around 120 lbs. and I am 5'6". I've never been overweight. I know my PCP thinks the cancer is from taking the hormones. I don't know. Myself, I think my cancer was caused by a dental implant surgery in which the dentist used lots of CT scans instead of regular dental X-rays. That and possibly stress.
What kind of bioidentical hormones?

OP
GreenTrails

GreenTrails

Nicole W. : I took 60 Gm PROGESTERONE; E3-2 E2-5 MG/GM LIPO; and 6 Gm TESTOSTERONE 2MG/0.lML CRM, prescribed by my PCP and made in a reputable compounding pharmacy. My dosage for progesterone was "Apply 1ML topically twice daily. My dosage for E3 and E2 was "Apply 1ML topically twice daily", but I used only half that amount; and my dosage for the Testosterone was "Apply 2MG once daily to alternating forearms.

tankasnowgod

Personally, I haven't, but both my parents and others in my family have.

Just like any other degenerative disease, I don't think there is a singular cause. I think stress, stress hormones (especially cortisol and estrogen), serotonin, endotoxin, excess iron, PUFAs, and radiation are big potential causes. Low thyroid function can also be an issue. I think there is likely a microbial cause as well, whether that's viral, bacterial or fungal. Probably anything that lowers immune system function.

There is also the issue of what exactly "cancer" means. It's a scary word, for sure, but it covers a wide range of potential problems, from minor skin cancers that are easily treated and have little chance of spreading, to massive potentially life threatening tumors, and all sorts of conditions in between. It doesn't help that the definition constantly changes, and likely everyone over 50 has something that could likely be called "cancer" by some doctor, if it were discovered. And there is always the issue of the "false positive," which I'm inclined now to believe happens much more frequently than most suspect.

Beyond this, there are the horrid treatments. Radiation and Chemotherapy can cause many of the symptoms of cancer, and are likely responsible for most of the visibly scary signs that most would notice (like hair falling out, poor skin, muscle wasting, weakness, nausea, and looking older and more frail in general). The treatments might make a self fulfilling prophecy, just like AZT given to "HIV" or "AIDS" patients, which can cause outward appearances of AIDS itself. I think Haidut said that most people don't die from cancer, but from side effects from the treatment, or cachexia. There is always the chance, so long as the pateint isn't dead, that any cancer or tumor will spontaneously heal itself, or go away.

Nicole W.

Did you use the hormones for a long time? I do not have cancer so maybe I shouldn’t have responded but I know three people that have had breast cancer and they all supplemented estrogen. Most likely, people on this forum would probably say that the estrogen may have been the culprit. Others might say that it was the ionizing radiation (which causes damage similar to the way estrogen would) or the dental implant or the emotional stress/ unresolved emotions. etc. Theoretically, it could have been all of the above. All these factors represent accumulated stresses to your body.

Spend any time on this forum, or reading about/listening to Ray Peat’s ideas, and those are the themes: estrogen, radiation, and environmental/emotional stress ( even sometimes exercise) are dangerous because they affect metabolic efficiency and the immune system. On the other hand, breast cancer usually takes a long time to develop so it may have started long before the introduction of hormones or the CT scans or the life stresses. If that was the case, these factors might have exacerbated the situation.

Changed fatty acid composition in mammary tissues can be contributing. I believe that saturated and monounsaturated needs to be consumed in a 1 : 1 Ratio, O6 to O3 PUFA also 1 : 1.

OP
GreenTrails

GreenTrails

Nicole W.: Thank you for your response. I took the hormones for about 11 years. In 2009 I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, and I started taking the hormones in 2009. By 2014 my bone scans indicated that I had osteopenia. I took testosterone only for a couple of years, mainly for my bones. Osteoporosis runs in my family. My bone scan in 2009 showed a lumbar spine BMD of 637; compared with 2019 bone scan of 1.005 in the spine. This improvement I think is because I was taking hormones. Of course, I was also doing a lot of weight bearing exercises.

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, and died of it. She never took a hormone in her life. She believed that hormones caused cancer.

Nicole W.

Nicole W.: Thank you for your response. I took the hormones for about 11 years. In 2009 I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, and I started taking the hormones in 2009. By 2014 my bone scans indicated that I had osteopenia. I took testosterone only for a couple of years, mainly for my bones. Osteoporosis runs in my family. My bone scan in 2009 showed a lumbar spine BMD of 637; compared with 2019 bone scan of 1.005 in the spine. This improvement I think is because I was taking hormones. Of course, I was also doing a lot of weight bearing exercises.

My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, and died of it. She never took a hormone in her life. She believed that hormones caused cancer.
And of course, we also know people who do everything “wrong” and live to a ripe old age. Smoke, drink, use drugs, and eat crap FOR YEARS. There are a number of these type of people in my family and for some reason they don’t really hit the skids until very late in life. It’s too reductive to say that cancer is caused by only one or a few factors. In the end, I think we are just a sum of our parts: our genetics, maternal health and prenatal history, our nutrition or lack thereof, our positive experiences as well as negative, our exposures to toxins, bacteria, viruses... all these things influence how sturdy we are throughout life. That’s why a cancer diagnosis doesn’t always make sense. It’s so frustrating to not have all the answers. Despite that, I do believe that a lot can be done moving forward and I hope Ray Peat and this forum can support you in your journey to wellness.

Recoen

Externally you may have looked healthy, your labs may have too. But having osteoporosis/ osteopenia is indicative of things not going right under the surface. Other than the osteo issues was there another reason you took hormones?
Also, many are finding the “healthy and right” things aren’t so good. For example oxalate in spinach, keto, carnivore, etc.

Regina

Sorry to learn about your ordeal and wishing you the best going forward.
I agree with what the others have written and would concur about the estrogen supplementation.
Adding estrogen and avoiding sugar is a rough combo. Do you have a history of eating enough calcium?
Were you eating a lot of raw greens?

OP
GreenTrails

GreenTrails

Recoen: I agree that even though I looked healthy and my labs did look good, having osteoporosis is indicative of other things. I also took hormone for symptoms of menopause.

OP
GreenTrails

GreenTrails

Regina: I do not think I ate enough calcium; I ate very little meat. I did not eat a lot of raw greens. I really did not eat a lot. I fixed meat for my husband, but not so much myself. I was always dieting. Now I am fixing eggshell calcium by boiling the shells, drying them, and grinding them in my coffee grinder. I take 1/2 tsp. a day. I've tried eating keto, but the fat and the meat raised my cholesterol, which has always been high. I eat two pastured eggs daily and liver a couple of times a week, and green salad 2-3 times weekly.

Regina

Regina: I do not think I ate enough calcium; I ate very little meat. I did not eat a lot of raw greens. I really did not eat a lot. I fixed meat for my husband, but not so much myself. I was always dieting. Now I am fixing eggshell calcium by boiling the shells, drying them, and grinding them in my coffee grinder. I take 1/2 tsp. a day. I've tried eating keto, but the fat and the meat raised my cholesterol, which has always been high. I eat two pastured eggs daily and liver a couple of times a week, and green salad 2-3 times weekly.
I realized I did not eat enough calcium once I began studying Peat. Now, I love it.
But I love drinking 2% grass milk. It's fattening, but I feel great eating more dairy.
I don't eat any salads other than shredded and rinsed carrot salad.

Ableton

I have had this theory that hypothyroidism is our bodies performing a chemo light on us so that we do not get cancer despite our carcinogenic environment.
Catabolism through hypothYroidism = starvation, anti cancer
Anabolism = growth, cancer

increased dna methylation (anabolism) = you stay young/ age well but are at an increased cancer risk because every attemt to rejuvenate your dna is a cancer risk.

decreased methylation = you age fast but are at an decreased cancer risk.

I came up with this because no one here could point out to me WHY we are going hypo. The answer is always stress (which no one ever defines). But what would happen if our thyroids were working despite that? Would we „burn out“? Not if we ate 6000 calories surely, or whatever it takes. Are 6000 cals a sure way to reverse hypothyroidism? No. Our bodies sometimes want us to stay hypo despite having all the fuel it needs. Could hypothyroidism be a natural chemo to keep cancer at bay (aka the stress is carcinogenics). In my opinion. This renders hypothyroidism a protective response though, and not a disease.

keep in mind that this is only a wild theory of mine that i presented In the hair loss forum which no one ever refuted, and that I have not read close to as much as most people here.

since we are on a forum deficated to improving thyroid function:
Did you increase your thyroid function drastically?
Do you look young for your age?
Do you permanently eat, keeping you in an anabolic state?

i think cancer can be extremely counter intuitive because healthy looking, anabolic people are more at risk than starving, fragile ones. Those have other health issues and worse quality of life of course

nvm just read that you do not eat much, so its likely not the problem

Last edited:

lampofred

I think an emotional cause is trying too hard to do what you are told is "good for you" as opposed to following your heart. (I'm not good at wording things so I don't mean for that to come off in an accusatory way, as if it's the individual's fault. It's the fault of the culture.)

Aspirin helps you get in tune with your heart (and protects against toxins, radiation exposure, other more mechanical causes as well).

There are a few threads on this forum about how taking aspirin and inhibiting FFA/cortisol is strongly helpful for breast cancer. Here's one: Aspirin Stops Breast Cancer; Reprograms Cancer Cells Into Normal

Dr. Peat has recommended 5-6 grams of aspirin daily (along with ample vit K to prevent bleeding) for cancer in the past. Here's his article on aspirin: Aspirin, brain, and cancer

Last edited:

alephx

Sorry about this news. One thing to look into is Iodine, I remember reading of people having their fibrosis go away. Also, can't find the exact source but I remember someone exploring the correlation between average iodine content in the diet and breast cancer incidence. For example, Japan, if I recall is the one with highest iodine intake and low breast cancer indicence. According to this study, it is 3 times more frequent in the US. Is Breast Cancer the Same Disease in Asian and Western Countries?

More anecdotally, a girlfriend who had beginnings of fibrosis, had her breasts pain when taking iodine. After some months they stopped paining, and she had no fibrosis. (She also took magnesium around the same time.)