If You're Sedentery You Will Have A Slow Metabolism

Dino D

That's it. Nothing to add...

Even fuel consuption in cars is low if they dont move fast (lot of moving), dont drive, or dont accelerate a lot (hit)

Your mobile phone does not use up much energy if its just on stand by,

Why should sedentery humas then have a fast metabolism...

When you sit around you dont burn much, when you go into deficit by 300cal while siting, then you get easily defficient, not just by calories but by other factors

If you use 6000 calories with moving, then you can eat 5.700 calories, use fat, and still have enough energy, minerals and macros for hormones, digestion and so on...

So your metabolism (engine), while moving and eating, will be a hardcore machine that burns, but if you sit around and eat, you slow down, your digestion slows, you get slugish, constipated, stuffed, blocked (like a engine full of garbage-fuel and dust that wasnt burned fully because of slow driving)

Also while moving and training you dont need to eat, its even hard to train after a big meal, if you are hungry you can start moving and hunger goes away, and you can eat later... there is no need to go low calories, only not to be stuffed and blocked with undigested food, or a super full thummy all the time

Excercize is stress and bad because its often done with low calories, from people trying to lose weight... or with overtraining... also when your metabolism gets slow, when you stuff your self with lots of food you cant really be good at moving... but with time that should chage, slow increase in moving and calories, not siting and constant increase in food... i never see advices here to move, to train, mostly just diet...
Why should you be sedentery and your body and metabolism should work faster and better as when you move... makes no seanse... if you want to burn more calories (and eat more) move more... (so im not claiming to go to a bigger deficit or to go for a defficit at all)

I'm just thinking, not that i did it and became super healthy...
I want to eat like crazy and rest and get ripped ;) just saying :)

lampofred

Agreed that the more your exercise you do, the more calories you will burn, but the point of having a high metabolism is so that all of your tissues, especially your brain, operate at a higher level 24/7. Just burning more calories via running, lifting weights, etc. won't accomplish that. I think that's why the focus should be on intensifying cellular respiration, not just burning more calories.

OP
Dino D

Dino D

Agreed that the more your exercise you do, the more calories you will burn, but the point of having a high metabolism is so that all of your tissues, especially your brain, operate at a higher level 24/7. Just burning more calories via running, lifting weights, etc. won't accomplish that. I think that's why the focus should be on intensifying cellular respiration, not just burning more calories.
Wouldnt moving help achiving that too?

Cirion

Isn't Ray Peat sedentary?

Just sayin'.

lampofred

Wouldnt moving help achiving that too?

I think only indirectly. For example if you have poor digestion then mild walking will stimulate the intestine and reduce endotoxin, which will lower estrogen and raise thyroid. But exercise doesn't directly raise T3, more often than not I think it actually lowers thyroid.

mimmo123

if you have to exercise to lose weight something is wrong and you will end up even more hypo after all that exerciser
but you'll be leaner

Cirion

Haidut has specifically posted threads that show that the problem is not sedentary-ism.

I forget what he says exactly, but in my opinion the real problem is environment. A lot of people here are trying to fix their diet, which is great, but until environment is fixed, I don't think a proper recovery will happen (easily, at least).

Found it:

Obesity Increasing; Is NOT Due To The Cliche Urban, Gluttonous, Sedentary Lifestyle

OP
Dino D

Dino D

So you dont belive that sitting and resting, by it self (perfect diet) does not (with time, longer time) lower metabolism?

lampofred

I don't see why it would as long as you are not overeating and your digestion is good. But everyone is different and circumstances are always changing, so can't say anything with absolute certainty.

Cirion

Diet alone without changing environment may not result in the desired outcome no. But living on a tropical island/beach, and just lounging around all day (but in the sun, not on the computer) absolutely can improve metabolic rate, and away from EMF's etc.

The problem is average joe sits in front of a computer at least 8 hrs a day, under fake (fluorescent) lighting, in possibly mold infested buildings, and likely excessive EMF just to name a few issues, and probably gets no sunlight at all (except that from walking from parking lot to building) during the weekdays at the very least.

In fact, I found it interesting that in a recent interview with Haidut about why people have no energy, that the FIRST thing he says is "we aren't getting enough sunlight". I tend to agree.

To a degree, humans are literally solar powered. So naturally, if we get no sunlight, there's gonna be problems.

somuch4food

Have you observed nature? Most animals rest a lot and move about their day in a relaxed pace. So, walking and doing your daily chores should be more than enough to keep healthy. You don't see animals training to get better at hunting, they just hunt and get better while doing it. Why should humans be forced to train to keep healthy?

OP
Dino D

Dino D

Diet alone without changing environment may not result in the desired outcome no. But living on a tropical island/beach, and just lounging around all day (but in the sun, not on the computer) absolutely can improve metabolic rate, and away from EMF's etc.

The problem is average joe sits in front of a computer at least 8 hrs a day, under fake (fluorescent) lighting, in possibly mold infested buildings, and likely excessive EMF just to name a few issues, and probably gets no sunlight at all (except that from walking from parking lot to building) during the weekdays at the very least.

In fact, I found it interesting that in a recent interview with Haidut about why people have no energy, that the FIRST thing he says is "we aren't getting enough sunlight". I tend to agree.

To a degree, humans are literally solar powered. So naturally, if we get no sunlight, there's gonna be problems.
Ok, agree, but thata a new factor... 1) diet, 2) moving and 3)being outside in the sun... my queation is still on, ok youre outside, perfect diet... and then just resting... will you have a fast metabolism and good healt, or is it still more important to move...
@somuch4food Many animals rest, many move all the time, kids move all the time... lean people are often people that move, while fat people are the ones with a dest job... often... so im still not convinced

D

danishispsychic

My cell phone must have a life of its own bc the battery drains down just being sedentary on my sofa w/out use...

oldmanthunder

Haidut has specifically posted threads that show that the problem is not sedentary-ism.

I forget what he says exactly, but in my opinion the real problem is environment. A lot of people here are trying to fix their diet, which is great, but until environment is fixed, I don't think a proper recovery will happen (easily, at least).

Found it:

Obesity Increasing; Is NOT Due To The Cliche Urban, Gluttonous, Sedentary Lifestyle
Complete bogus. Rural people are much more sedentary than people living in urban environments, they drive everywhere because nothing is within walking distance, whereas most people living in cities walk and bike places because everything is closer together and driving doesn’t save as much time. Not to mention that rural people are under more chronic stress due to low socio-economic status which most likely leads to overeating.

Exercise is the number 1 intervention to improve mitochondrial function, more than any supplement or food. By training muscles regularly, you are improving basal metabolism by increasing muscle mitochondrial density which is where most of the anti-aging benefits come from.

Cirion

Healthy people do move a lot. But I'd argue its correlation not causation. Moving doesn't really result in good health. More accurately, healthy people have excess energy and that's precisely WHY they move a lot, because they have energy to spare.

Think of it this way. If your iphone has a 15% charge and you know you need it later for a GPS, and have no access to charging, what will you do? Put it on low power usage and/or turn it off entirely until you need it.

But if it is 100% charge, you'll be far more liberal with usage as it has battery to spare.

Same with the human body. There's a reason for chronic fatigue, its your body trying to conserve energy as its basically on 15% reserve or less. It is very unwise to exercise in such a condition. Maybe a little light walking but that's it. As you increase your charge, then you can start to consider maybe "moderate" weightlifting. Why would you use your phone like crazy at 15% and risk it dropping to 0%? Similarily, why workout and risk dropping your metabolism further?

I'll also tell you, that I never felt better than 2 yrs ago, very lean, very healthy strong libido strong mind strong energy levels that when I went on vacation I still lounged around all day and did nothing almost, except for perhaps a brief 15-30 minute workout that was light (mild sprints on beach, maybe a LIGHT weightlifting workout with light weights) and trust me, I felt really good without the need for ridiculous workouts. Look, I think no one is arguing that some LIGHT (keyword LIGHT) exercise can be helpful, but once you start to cross the threshold to moderate-heavy workouts, these are RARELY helpful, and NEVER helpful in hypothyroid.

The idea of having to exercise to have a good metabolism is strongly engrained, but false view of things.

The goal of metabolic recovery is to BUILD energy not SPEND it. By definition, you can not build energy while spending it (exercise). Again, healthy people have surplus energy to spare, which hypothyroid people do not. Looking at habits of healthy people is indeed helpful, but not everything healthy people do actually BUILD health. The path towards good health is different than the road of maintaining good health.

You can't become a millionaire without living frugal and investing (with some exceptions of course). You also can't become healthy while eating calorie deficits and/or working out intensely.

Last edited:

oldmanthunder

You “build” energy by getting fat. Muscle are the primary metabolizers of fatty acids, you’re never going to burn away all your fat if you don’t improve muscular metabolism. I would wager that most people are low energy BECAUSE they they are signaling to their body that they don’t need to expend energy: by staying mentally and physically sedentary. By being active, you are signaling to your body that you have higher energy requirements and your body will adjust. It’s a vicious cycle that needs to be broken out of by making an initial effort. Thinking that you can eat your way out of a sluggish metabolism is ridiculous.

Collden

Being sedentary and eating a lot of food has not made me healthier nor did it cure my hypothyroidism, the only time it did improve my health was when I was seriously underweight and underfed.

At a certain point poor metabolism becomes an issue of chronic inflammation rather than insufficient nutrients and this chronic inflammation is not cured by rest and food.

Cirion

You “build” energy by getting fat. Muscle are the primary metabolizers of fatty acids, you’re never going to burn away all your fat if you don’t improve muscular metabolism. I would wager that most people are low energy BECAUSE they they are signaling to their body that they don’t need to expend energy: by staying mentally and physically sedentary. By being active, you are signaling to your body that you have higher energy requirements and your body will adjust. It’s a vicious cycle that needs to be broken out of by making an initial effort. Thinking that you can eat your way out of a sluggish metabolism is ridiculous.

No, you build energy by increasing CO2 in the cells and improving glucose utility and increasing ATP and improving androgenic hormone levels and reducing stress hormones / fatty acid oxidation / lipolysis.

Perhaps the battery example wasn't the greatest, I can see now I suppose. Yeah lots of body fat can increase "total reserves" so that was a poor choice for an example, but body fat is horrible inefficient, stressful, and results in very low CO2 levels and low overall usable ATP.

More accurately, one should improve the efficiency of things so that more ATP, more CO2 can be provided.

"Higher thrust to weight" ratio like on an aircraft if you will. Sure you can just blindly put a bigger engine (more body fat) on, but it might not necessarily be efficient (low T/W ratio). You want a high T/W ratio, if you will.

Last edited:

Cirion

Again there's definitely value in some LIGHT exercise within your tolerance levels so I'm not saying all is bad. There's a spectrum. Severely bad conditions (waking temps of 95F) probably should basically be bedridden until temps improve to at least 97. Then maybe light walking. Then maybe light weight lifting at around 98.0f. Then MAYBE moderate exercise once temps reach euthyroid 98.4F+. Jack kruse, for how much of a quack he is, has the same view as me in this regard and I agree 100%. He also bans his severe cases from ANY exercise, and slowly tiltrates activity up as they actually have energy for it. Anecdotally, the times exercise benefit me the most are times I WANT to do it (aka, I have energy).

But severely hypothyroid Joe Smhoe should NOT be embarking in playing frequent sports, heavy weight lifting, etc. 15 minutes walking in the sun? Fine. But I 100% guarantee that someone obese trying to play hour long sports games are gonna tank their waking temps to 96-97F, have intense Fatty Acid Oxidation, low T3, high rT3, high stress levels. Will they lose weight? Maybe, but at the expense of the metabolic rate.

Even when I was in the best health of my life, more than 45-60 minute of weightlifting or sports crashed my metabolic rate. And I would almost say my health was optimal at that point in my life too. If that was my tolerance when in optimal health, there's absolutely no way a hypo person has any business doing workouts like that if even when healthy I could barely tolerate 45-60 minute workouts.

Collden

Its a fine balancing act with exercise for sure. Too much or the wrong kind will do further damage, too little and you will likely stall your progress and slowly slide further into obesity, insulin resistance, mitochondrial dysfunction and fatty liver.

I recently stumbled upon Vahva fitness which I think represents a good approach to progressively improving fitness without causing harm. Their explicit aim is to find a way to train that allows you to strengthen the body without wearing it down. I'd urge anyone who has burned out doing traditional heavy weight lifting to check it out.