"If You're On Thyroid And Not Taking Iodine, Your Chances Of Cancer Go Up 30-40%"

AnonE

I've been reading about Iodine as a supplement and traditional healing medicine from decades ago, and I've read through a few threads here on the forum that have had vigorous debate between what Peat recommends ('no need for too much iodine') vs. what others have been saying.

I was wondering what is the most up-to-date concensus on the topic, and I thought I'd seed the discussion with the quote in the title, from the video below (time stamp 17:45) -

Thoughts/experiences on iodine? Anecdotally I am feeling great lately energy-wise, dosing in the 10s of mg range for now and making sure I have the necessary co-factors as well (selenium, vit C, B vitamins, etc.)

tankasnowgod

Hmmmm, that quote that you specified sounds a little sales-pitchy to me.

I don't know if there is an up to date consensus, but I do have this thread marked when it comes to a more in depth look at Peat's take on Iodine- Iodine, Supplement Reactions, Hormones And More - KMUD, 2016-02-19

Second poster Lindsay posts the studies that Peat sent her, along with this quote from Peat himself in regards to the issue-

"Large doses of iodine can be safe when used for a short time therapeutically, but one milligram or more per day, for a long period of time, is likely to harm the thyroid gland. Nascent (“newborn”) iodine can exist in a laboratory set-up, but it’s short-lived, and doesn’t continue in that state when it’s sold as a product. The incidence of thyroid cancer has doubled in the last 30 to 40 years, and it’s the most rapidly increasing cancer in the US."

(underlined part is Peat speaking favorably of high dose iodine uses, which seems to get lost frequently)

I agree with Peat that the "Nascent" iodine that's being sold is a gimmick, and truthfully, one that I didn't even understand when I first heard the claim. I didn't see how it could possibly be different from Lugols or KI. I'm dubious of the "Iodine Doctors" claims of huge doses of iodine being necessary, and specifically, the idea the diiodine (or the iodINE) form is somehow needed. I read through many of Travis's posts on the subject, and he is convinced it will get reduced to iodide quickly in the body, and that studies where they claim a huge difference between iodine and iodide are misrepresented to sell Iodoral.

But some of Peat's claims of excess iodine and the studies he cites don't convince me that higher doses (say, averaging 1-5mg a day) are that harmful. I personally do not see the connection to thyroid cancer.

Also, Travis has stated many times that he just doesn't see issues with KI, even in much higher doses (up to and past 100mg). The old school iodine doctors where using just KI, and in very high doses (sometimes 1 gram a day to several grams), and reported few and minor sides. I remember him stating specifically that the so called "Wolff-Chaikov effect" had to be induced in rats by injecting them with IV iodine, and a high blood plasma level you would never get from oral or trans-dermal iodine. So, pretty much all that experiment shows is, don't inject yourself with iodine.

All this lead to my personal views, which are- I purchased some 100mg KI tablets, and take them sporadically. Maybe 1 every two weeks, maybe 1-2 a week, maybe one a day, depending. I have a bottle of lugol's, and I use that for disinfecting cuts and scrapes, and fading moles and scars and such. I also put some in my waterpik regularly. And, I mix a some Lugols with MCT oil, and use it as sunscreen or suntan lotion. MCT is supposed to be 100% (or maybe more like 99.9999999998%) saturated, but the lugols has stayed in solution perfectly for me for weeks on end, even without shaking. I think the sides people get from the "Iodine Protocol" are most often due to the IodINE, simply because it's more reactive.

So, that's my stance.

Last edited:

yerrag

I don't think it's iodine that's needed, but glutathione and selenium:

LeeLemonoil

I‘ve tried to look from evolutionary and phylogenetic angles to extrapolate the role of iodine in human organism and food.
And while a definitive answer remains elusive, I‘m leaving to regarding Iodine as a very important and well tolerated element

Vinny

I've been reading about Iodine as a supplement and traditional healing medicine from decades ago, and I've read through a few threads here on the forum that have had vigorous debate between what Peat recommends ('no need for too much iodine') vs. what others have been saying.

I was wondering what is the most up-to-date concensus on the topic, and I thought I'd seed the discussion with the quote in the title, from the video below (time stamp 17:45) -

Thoughts/experiences on iodine? Anecdotally I am feeling great lately energy-wise, dosing in the 10s of mg range for now and making sure I have the necessary co-factors as well (selenium, vit C, B vitamins, etc.)

Any update here, man?

LeeLemonoil

I‘ve tried to look from evolutionary and phylogenetic angles to extrapolate the role of iodine in human organism and food.
And while a definitive answer remains elusive, I‘m leaving to regarding Iodine as a very important and well tolerated element
Great post and. Thinking

xetawaves

A couple minutes into the video and I could tell they're trying to sell me something. Oh look, a link to buy "organic iodine" in the description. And apparently it's the only "fully organic, absorbable, bioavailable iodine on the market."

Is there truth to the title of this thread @haidut ?

Salting your food provides more than enough iodine right?

OP
A

AnonE

I'm willing to overlook the fact that somewhat disseminating information is selling something related as well, I try and judge the information/argument on its merits alone. But I see your point, it's a bit troubling/concerning. But at the same time, operating outside of the "established industry" makes finances harder, does it not? After all, most alternative health gurus have to sell *something* to stay afloat.

xetawaves

I'm willing to overlook the fact that somewhat disseminating information is selling something related as well, I try and judge the information/argument on its merits alone. But I see your point, it's a bit troubling/concerning. But at the same time, operating outside of the "established industry" makes finances harder, does it not? After all, most alternative health gurus have to sell *something* to stay afloat.

Playing the cancer card though? Then passively suggesting that their iodine is the only iodine that will work at full potential. Basically saying “you’re at risk for cancer without our product”

Are there any studies at all that give the title of this thread any ground to stand on?

Ray would’ve already addressed any cancer risk with thyroid supplementation.

Dr. B

I don't know if there is an up to date consensus, but I do have this thread marked when it comes to a more in depth look at Peat's take on Iodine- Iodine, Supplement Reactions, Hormones And More - KMUD, 2016-02-19

Second poster Lindsay posts the studies that Peat sent her, along with this quote from Peat himself in regards to the issue-

"Large doses of iodine can be safe when used for a short time therapeutically, but one milligram or more per day, for a long period of time, is likely to harm the thyroid gland. Nascent (“newborn”) iodine can exist in a laboratory set-up, but it’s short-lived, and doesn’t continue in that state when it’s sold as a product. The incidence of thyroid cancer has doubled in the last 30 to 40 years, and it’s the most rapidly increasing cancer in the US."

(underlined part is Peat speaking favorably of high dose iodine uses, which seems to get lost frequently)

I agree with Peat that the "Nascent" iodine that's being sold is a gimmick, and truthfully, one that I didn't even understand when I first heard the claim. I didn't see how it could possibly be different from Lugols or KI. I'm dubious of the "Iodine Doctors" claims of huge doses of iodine being necessary, and specifically, the idea the diiodine (or the iodINE) form is somehow needed. I read through many of Travis's posts on the subject, and he is convinced it will get reduced to iodide quickly in the body, and that studies where they claim a huge difference between iodine and iodide are misrepresented to sell Iodoral.

But some of Peat's claims of excess iodine and the studies he cites don't convince me that higher doses (say, averaging 1-5mg a day) are that harmful. I personally do not see the connection to thyroid cancer.

Also, Travis has stated many times that he just doesn't see issues with KI, even in much higher doses (up to and past 100mg). The old school iodine doctors where using just KI, and in very high doses (sometimes 1 gram a day to several grams), and reported few and minor sides. I remember him stating specifically that the so called "Wolff-Chaikov effect" had to be induced in rats by injecting them with IV iodine, and a high blood plasma level you would never get from oral or trans-dermal iodine. So, pretty much all that experiment shows is, don't inject yourself with iodine.

All this lead to my personal views, which are- I purchased some 100mg KI tablets, and take them sporadically. Maybe 1 every two weeks, maybe 1-2 a week, maybe one a day, depending. I have a bottle of lugol's, and I use that for disinfecting cuts and scrapes, and fading moles and scars and such. I also put some in my waterpik regularly. And, I mix a some Lugols with MCT oil, and use it as sunscreen or suntan lotion. MCT is supposed to be 100% (or maybe more like 99.9999999998%) saturated, but the lugols has stayed in solution perfectly for me for weeks on end, even without shaking. I think the sides people get from the "Iodine Protocol" are most often due to the IodINE, simply because it's more reactive.

So, that's my stance.

whats been your experience with these large iodine doses so far? from what ive seen and heard, as well as danny roddys experience, iodine has an anti thyroid and even an autoimmunity inducing effect. googling iodine autoimmunity brings up all kinds of things on the subject. im not sure about thyroid cancer, is cancer a response by the organism to attempt to heal the autoimmunity and its damage to the organs?

tankasnowgod

whats been your experience with these large iodine doses so far? from what ive seen and heard, as well as danny roddys experience, iodine has an anti thyroid and even an autoimmunity inducing effect. googling iodine autoimmunity brings up all kinds of things on the subject. im not sure about thyroid cancer, is cancer a response by the organism to attempt to heal the autoimmunity and its damage to the organs?

As I said in the post, I use KI sporadically, like the way I use antibiotics. I have never had any sort of auto-immune issues, and using the KI occasionally, didn't notice any anti-thyroid effects. When I did the "iodine protocol" back in the day with iodoral, I did start to get that Hashi-like response of seeming hypo symptoms sometimes, hyper symptoms other (certainly more hypo than hyper), that was after the first month or two.

I don't use KI much right now, and if so, would only do so temporarily. I do use topical iodine when I need to, like on a cut or if trying to remove a mole.

mostlylurking

The safest way to take iodine is to use the one that is encased in natural desiccated thyroid. Too much iodine blocks thyroid function.

The safest way to take iodine is to use the one that is encased in natural desiccated thyroid. Too much iodine blocks thyroid function.

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Let's eat bull balls instead of trying to increase our own testosterone production as well. You can pretty much buy all the end-hormones, why not supplement it from top to bottom?

I thought the idea was to encourage your own body's production - we recognize that thyroid is the most essential hormonal system that has to function optimally, yet are scared to death of one of the fundamental building blocks it needs to perform its job? And all because of a poorly done rat study from 1948.

Hugh Johnson

So, that's my stance.
I was never convinced that iodine is dangerous. The only argument against a few milligrams of iodine I understood from Peat was that it increases the risk of thyroid cancer. But between PUFA depletion and the constant exposure to toxic halides that seems like an irrelevant risk.

mostlylurking

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Let's eat bull balls instead of trying to increase our own testosterone production as well. You can pretty much buy all the end-hormones, why not supplement it from top to bottom?

I thought the idea was to encourage your own body's production - we recognize that thyroid is the most essential hormonal system that has to function optimally, yet are scared to death of one of the fundamental building blocks it needs to perform its job? And all because of a poorly done rat study from 1948.
I remember calf fries were pretty tasty (Fort Worth, north-side stockyards district, across from Billy Bob's dance hall); you could fry some up in coconut oil!!

If your thyroid has been damaged by xray radiation or PUFA or heavy metals or mercury amalgam fillings, it is not going to magically start making thyroid hormone; you have to provide thyroid hormone as a supplement. Taking iodine won't solve the problem and may make the situation worse.

mostlylurking

A couple minutes into the video and I could tell they're trying to sell me something. Oh look, a link to buy "organic iodine" in the description. And apparently it's the only "fully organic, absorbable, bioavailable iodine on the market."

Is there truth to the title of this thread @haidut ?

Salting your food provides more than enough iodine right?
Using iodized salt can provide too much iodine. It's best to avoid iodized salt.

I doubt iodine is very good to supplement. I have taken 2g a day of potassium iodide for infection and that's fine. It can remove plaque. But ongoing I see no need to supplement.

CreakyJoints

If you are curious, in the post @tankasnowgod linked, there appears to be an email from Ray Peat showing 25 studies from 1989 to 2002, and some are in humans. From glancing at those, it would seem excess iodine can be problematic if thyroid function is already poor.

Dr. B

I doubt iodine is very good to supplement. I have taken 2g a day of potassium iodide for infection and that's fine. It can remove plaque. But ongoing I see no need to supplement.
how does it remove plaque, via rubbing on teeth or just from consuming in capsule form?

ddjd

why do i always get headaches from iodine?? tried a variety of brands and still same result