"If You're On Thyroid And Not Taking Iodine, Your Chances Of Cancer Go Up 30-40%"

CreakyJoints

I don’t intend to saturate my body with iodine, just supplement enough for optimal thyroid hormone synthesis, which may be none.

I think the experience stressed me out so much a lot of things became dysregulated and other hormone deficiencies developed keeping me in a stress hormone metabolism. I feel the best thyroid function now focusing on a low renal acid load, high alkaline mineral diet and aspirin to lower FFAs. I’ve noticed a lot of things are more potent in this state and much smaller amounts are needed to feel effects from thyroid and iodine.

Sorry, my choice of words was poor again. I wanted to ask how you will know when you've achieved your goal; do you plan to test thyroid function routinely or if there is some specific symptom you are trying to eliminate. It's not terribly important, I was just curious.

Nebula

Sorry, my choice of words was poor again. I wanted to ask how you will know when you've achieved your goal; do you plan to test thyroid function routinely or if there is some specific symptom you are trying to eliminate. It's not terribly important, I was just curious.
Yeah just go by symptoms. I have a pretty good feel for whether something is optimizing my hormones and metabolism from all the experiments I’ve done over the years. That’s why I like the idea of slowly increasing with micro doses so effects can be noticed and avoid overdosing.

Giraffe

I've been reading about Iodine as a supplement and traditional healing medicine from decades ago,

Iodine is added to animal feed. Milk and eggs for example contain more iodine than most databases suggest. If you consume those foods you probably get a lot more iodine from your diet than those patients decades ago.

Ihor

I don’t supplement citrate directly. I react carbonates with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Citrate is an excellent precursor to bicarbonate and CO2. Potassium citrate is the form of potassium in fruit. I do drink some milk and OJ, but I don’t care for large amounts. Yogurt goes well with fruit and honey. I don’t currently have enough thyroid hormone in me to metabolize much liver, but I will be consuming more as my thyroid increases.

This is actually working well for me. Avoiding high PRAL foods and chlorides for now seems to be lowering my cortisol a lot. Sleep has gotten much better and scalp inflammation has completely disappeared. Things moving in the right direction. Next up for me is microdosing thyroid and supplementing potassium citrate through potassium bicarbonate + fresh lemon juice.
Where do you buy potassium bicarbonate which you mix with lemon juice?

Mito

Iodine is added to animal feed. Milk and eggs for example contain more iodine than most databases suggest. If you consume those foods you probably get a lot more iodine from your diet than those patients decades ago.
A2085505-5299-4E6B-82FB-58022B0BE401.jpeg

Giraffe

Thanks for the link @Mito .

Dairy products contain iodine. However, the amount of iodine in dairy products varies by whether the cows received iodine feed supplements and whether iodophor sanitizing agents were used to clean the cows and milk-processing equipment [9]. For example, an analysis of 44 samples of nonfat milk found a range of 38 to 159 mcg per cup (with an average of 85 mcg/cup used for Table 2) [8].

What I am trying to say is: If you regularly consume milk and eggs, it's hard to guestimate how much iodine is in your diet. You will probably get more than enough. Organic milk tends to contain less iodine than non-organic, but it depends on the feed. I've seen a test were several store bought products were analyzed, and the eggs highest in iodine have been produced organic.

Dr. B

if they are 100% grass fed/pastured cows and chickens, is the iodine less? i read somewhere that organic products have less iodine than non organic? and it seems to be due the food and maybe the cleaners used. i heard there are iodine based cleaners used in milk processing

what should be done to lessen the negative impacts of consuming lots of iodine from milk/eggs? should certain minerals be supplemented, or sugar/salt increased or something? Ray has said even consuming twice the RDA daily for a long term period is not good and that would just be 300mcg iodine

Dr. B

Thanks for the link @Mito .

What I am trying to say is: If you regularly consume milk and eggs, it's hard to guestimate how much iodine is in your diet. You will probably get more than enough. Organic milk tends to contain less iodine than non-organic, but it depends on the feed. I've seen a test were several store bought products were analyzed, and the eggs highest in iodine have been produced organic.

yeah one of the farms mentioned they feed their chickens pasture (bugs, seeds, grass) but also supplement them with trace minerals and kelp. its concerning, i dont think the minerals and kelp should be supplemented

CreakyJoints

I'm wondering what exactly constitutes enough? Even if we could track extremely accurately our dietary iodine intake, what is a good amount? Has Ray Peat ever commented on this aspect specifically, or are there any compelling studies to look at in this regard?

I was looking at the chart @Mito posted earlier, I'm curious about how accurate these "Daily Values" actually are, and how they're established. I've seen other websites claim hundreds of milligrams is actually closer to the recommended daily amount, which seems astonishing to me - not sure that would ever be possible from dietary sources.

Giraffe

I'm wondering what exactly constitutes enough? Even if we could track extremely accurately our dietary iodine intake, what is a good amount? Has Ray Peat ever commented on this aspect specifically, or are there any compelling studies to look at in this regard?

I was looking at the chart @Mito posted earlier, I'm curious about how accurate these "Daily Values" actually are, and how they're established. I've seen other websites claim hundreds of milligrams is actually closer to the recommended daily amount, which seems astonishing to me - not sure that would ever be possible from dietary sources.
Most of the time you need to read studies or scientific articles to understand how authorities come up with those values they recommend. I think that the Australian government website is quite helpful as a starting point: concise information and references.

Edit to add: The website that Mito has linked does contain that information, too.

Last edited:

CreakyJoints

Most of the time you need to read studies or scientific articles to understand how authorities come up with those values they recommend. I think that the Australian government website is quite helpful as a starting point: concise information and references.

Edit to add: The website that Mito has linked does contain that information, too.

Thank you very much, I'm sorry to have missed that! I feel silly. They do seem to acknowledge that it is linked to thyroid function as well, but also that there is some uncertainty about what the correct proportions are.

The first effect seen in iodine excess is challenged thyroid function by elevated TSH concentrations. This is the critical adverse effect (FNB:IOM 2001). Two studies of TSH concentrations after supplemental iodine showed increased TSH at 1,800 µg/day and 1,700 µg/day (Gardner et al 1988, Paul et al 1988) indicating a LOAEL of 1,700 µg/day.

[...]

Paul T, Meyers B, Witorsch RJ, Pino S, Chipkin S, Inbar SH, Braverman LE. The effect of small increases in dietary iodine on thyroid function in euthyroid subjects. Metab 1988;37:121-4.

I suppose this is the same T. Paul whom Ray Peat references in that email, from the 1987 study. It's not the same paper, but there is a section on the effects of different medications containing iodine on subjects with decent thyroid function.

Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1987 Jun;16(2):327-42
Environmental factors affecting autoimmune thyroid disease.
Safran M, Paul TL, Roti E, Braverman LE.
Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester.
A number of environmental factors affect the incidence and progression of
autoimmune thyroid disease. Exposure to excess iodine, certain drugs, infectious
agents and pollutants, and stress have all been implicated.

I'll try to download some of the studies they reference in the link you sent, maybe it will help clear things up for me. Still waiting on the 1988 one to download but I'm excited to start looking into it. Thanks again, much appreciated!