"If You're On Thyroid And Not Taking Iodine, Your Chances Of Cancer Go Up 30-40%"

how does it remove plaque, via rubbing on teeth or just from consuming in capsule form?

in large doses it seems to reduce plaque in blood vessels, as Dr. Peat has explained in an old newsletter. Probably multiple gram potassium iodide per day.

Dr. B

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Let's eat bull balls instead of trying to increase our own testosterone production as well. You can pretty much buy all the end-hormones, why not supplement it from top to bottom?

I thought the idea was to encourage your own body's production - we recognize that thyroid is the most essential hormonal system that has to function optimally, yet are scared to death of one of the fundamental building blocks it needs to perform its job? And all because of a poorly done rat study from 1948.

theres no nutrient that should be supplemented in an isolated form. if you do want iodine/building blocks you can consume food for them. eating organs should have a different effect.

I was never convinced that iodine is dangerous. The only argument against a few milligrams of iodine I understood from Peat was that it increases the risk of thyroid cancer. But between PUFA depletion and the constant exposure to toxic halides that seems like an irrelevant risk.

the much more immediate and noticeable effect is thyroid autoimmunity. the thyroid cancer probably comes later on in an attempt to heal the damage from autoimmunity. apparently iodine increases hydrogen peroxide in the body which damages organs/glands.

tankasnowgod

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Let's eat bull balls instead of trying to increase our own testosterone production as well.
I mean, this would be part of the "nose to tail" eating philosophy, wouldn't it?

You can still find Orchic supplements, and find plenty of classic bodybuilders that use and recommend them. Is it really all that different than liver consumption?
You can pretty much buy all the end-hormones, why not supplement it from top to bottom?

I thought the idea was to encourage your own body's production - we recognize that thyroid is the most essential hormonal system that has to function optimally, yet are scared to death of one of the fundamental building blocks it needs to perform its job? And all because of a poorly done rat study from 1948.
Wait, are you pro or anti supplementation? You talk about "supplementation of hormones," but ignore the fact that in order to get to some of the higher levels of iodine, you would have to "supplement" iodine in some form or other as well.

It's not just about "encouraging the body's own production." When people followed more traditional diets, Peat has stated that they could get the equivalent of about a 1/2- 1 grain of thyroid per day, if they were eating lobster, crab, whole insects, milk, or the thyroids of animals. The thyroid gland was even regularly used in ground beef, up until the 50's or so.

Dr. B

I mean, this would be part of the "nose to tail" eating philosophy, wouldn't it?

You can still find Orchic supplements, and find plenty of classic bodybuilders that use and recommend them. Is it really all that different than liver consumption?

Wait, are you pro or anti supplementation? You talk about "supplementation of hormones," but ignore the fact that in order to get to some of the higher levels of iodine, you would have to "supplement" iodine in some form or other as well.

It's not just about "encouraging the body's own production." When people followed more traditional diets, Peat has stated that they could get the equivalent of about a 1/2- 1 grain of thyroid per day, if they were eating lobster, crab, whole insects, milk, or the thyroids of animals. The thyroid gland was even regularly used in ground beef, up until the 50's or so.
so half gallon milk a day should provide significant thyroid hormone?

burtlancast

Guy Abraham was the first to alert to the danger of supplementing thyroid hormone without iodine.

And i find amazing that Peat makes no mention of other organs accumulating iodine, or the fact it improves your clarity of mind and sleep.

Dr. B

Guy Abraham was the first to alert to the danger of supplementing thyroid hormone without iodine.

And i find amazing that Peat makes no mention of other organs accumulating iodine, or the fact it improves your clarity of mind and sleep.
why is iodine needed when supplementing hormone? is it the precursor rule like how pregnenolone helps if taking hormones? the iodine being precursor is needed because otherwise supplementing hormone causes down regulation? do you need to supplement the iodine or can it be taken in via milk and food?

I strive to avoid supplemental hormones when possible.

Regarding iodine, for people in continental areas supplementation was pretty much always necessary as evidenced by so many getting goiters, which is why iodized salt was added. Stating that iodized salt causes 'excess iodine' ignores history and epidemiological data. Even so the iodine in salt tends to evaporate if you hold onto that box for too long, and unless you eat seaweed you're likely on the very low end of iodine sufficiency.

The 150 mcg you get in salt may be just about enough for the thyroid gland and I believe it is - clearly there are people with functional thyroid glands getting only this much iodine. But the urinary excretion of iodine, for instance in the US, has been dropping every decade, and there are more and more environmental toxins like bromide which compete for uptake into the thyroid gland and other organs, further displacing available iodine.

I don't think the claim is that you *need* 12 -50 mg of iodine daily because that is impossible to get through any form other than taking concentrated iodine solutions. But this dose range is used for its pharmacological effect, mainly of saturating the body (particularly the thyroid) with iodine and forcing all the other crud out, at which point you can ideally drop to a much lower maintenance dose and keep the benefits.

Following that line of thought, if you were to eat animal thyroids regularly, you would've also gotten more iodine than the average person gets nowadays.

Nebula

About 5 years ago I tried supplementing iodine with kelp powder, with what I thought was only about 1mg of iodine. It was miraculous at first. I had all the positive signs of much higher thyroid production. But after a month I started getting a very bad stress reaction to where I couldn’t sleep. I was eating a lot of oysters at the time, for selenium, but maybe I needed more magnesium, vitamin A, and B vitamins.

My thyroid has never been the same. So I don’t see iodine as harmless. Since then I’ve noticed my thyroid seems to work better on an alkaline diet and aspirin. So maybe for iodine and thyroid to work properly FFAs, cortisol, and inflammation must be low. Iodine can probably be supplemented to good effect but it should be carefully measured accurately, 1mg should be plenty and the companion nutrients should be abundant. FFAs and renal acid load should be lowered so you can gage how much you actually need. The same seems to be true for supplementing thyroid itself.

I plan on microdosing T3/T4 soon and eventually titrate up small amounts of iodine to nurse my thyroid back to health and then titrate the T3/T4 down again until I don’t need it anymore.

I think the common mistake people make with almost any nutrient or hormone is sudden megadoses instead of starting extremely low and very gradually increasing to find the lowest effective dose.

CreakyJoints

About 5 years ago I tried supplementing iodine with kelp powder, with what I thought was only about 1mg of iodine. It was miraculous at first. I had all the positive signs of much higher thyroid production. But after a month I started getting a very bad stress reaction to where I couldn’t sleep. I was eating a lot of oysters at the time, for selenium, but maybe I needed more magnesium, vitamin A, and B vitamins.

My thyroid has never been the same. So I don’t see iodine as harmless. Since then I’ve noticed my thyroid seems to work better on an alkaline diet and aspirin. So maybe for iodine and thyroid to work properly FFAs, cortisol, and inflammation must be low. Iodine can probably be supplemented to good effect but it should be carefully measured accurately, 1mg should be plenty and the companion nutrients should be abundant. FFAs and renal acid load should be lowered so you can gage how much you actually need. The same seems to be true for supplementing thyroid itself.

I plan on microdosing T3/T4 soon and eventually titrate up small amounts of iodine to nurse my thyroid back to health and then titrate the T3/T4 down again until I don’t need it anymore.

I think the common mistake people make with almost any nutrient or hormone is sudden megadoses instead of starting extremely low and very gradually increasing to find the lowest effective dose.

I believe oysters, like a lot of seafood, contain fair amounts of iodine, so this may have been a contributing factor.

Do you mind if I ask how you plan on titrating those substances safely? I'm not aware of how this is done. I've only just got to grips with how the concept applies to ascorbic acid.

Dr. B

why do you say thyroid is never the same?
its probably just that in nature, whether you are talking hormones or nutrients theyre never the same as the food sources. animal thyroid gland has t1, t2, t3, t4, calcitonin and parathyroid and there is no way to replicate it even if you take those same nutrients in the same ratios and doses, prbably because there even more unidentified or unmeasured factors in living animal tissue. the iodine protocol seems to be based off combining iodine with nutrients its found alongside in nature, and taking those nutrients in similar ratios, but its still not the same as you can eat animal thyroid with no side effects yet completely ruin things with iodine/iodine protocol even when you take the perfect doses of nutrients in perfect ratios. i think unaltered animal thyroid gland is probably superior and safer than even T3/T4,

mostlylurking

I've been reading about Iodine as a supplement and traditional healing medicine from decades ago, and I've read through a few threads here on the forum that have had vigorous debate between what Peat recommends ('no need for too much iodine') vs. what others have been saying.

I was wondering what is the most up-to-date concensus on the topic, and I thought I'd seed the discussion with the quote in the title, from the video below (time stamp 17:45) -

Thoughts/experiences on iodine? Anecdotally I am feeling great lately energy-wise, dosing in the 10s of mg range for now and making sure I have the necessary co-factors as well (selenium, vit C, B vitamins, etc.)

"If You're On Thyroid And Not Taking Iodine, Your Chances Of Cancer Go Up 30-40%" thread topic:​

If you take thyroid hormone, by definition you are taking iodine.

see here: Thyroid Function Tests | American Thyroid Association

snippet:
"The major thyroid hormone secreted by the thyroid gland is thyroxine, also called T4 because it contains four iodine atoms. To exert its effects, T4 is converted to triiodothyronine (T3) by the removal of an iodine atom."

Nebula

why do you say thyroid is never the same?
its probably just that in nature, whether you are talking hormones or nutrients theyre never the same as the food sources. animal thyroid gland has t1, t2, t3, t4, calcitonin and parathyroid and there is no way to replicate it even if you take those same nutrients in the same ratios and doses, prbably because there even more unidentified or unmeasured factors in living animal tissue. the iodine protocol seems to be based off combining iodine with nutrients its found alongside in nature, and taking those nutrients in similar ratios, but its still not the same as you can eat animal thyroid with no side effects yet completely ruin things with iodine/iodine protocol even when you take the perfect doses of nutrients in perfect ratios. i think unaltered animal thyroid gland is probably superior and safer than even T3/T4,
I meant my thyroid has not functioned well since I tried kelp powder. I have been stuck in a hypothyroid state ever since when I wasn’t before. I think those iodine protocols are way too high and iodine can probably supplemented safety but in carefully measured microdoses not megadoses. But overall I’m beginning to think renal acid load, potassium, magnesium and citrate intake as @Amarsh213 has experienced are something to focus on first and only add thyroid and iodine in the smallest effective amounts after that is in order.
I believe oysters, like a lot of seafood, contain fair amounts of iodine, so this may have been a contributing factor.

Do you mind if I ask how you plan on titrating those substances safely? I'm not aware of how this is done. I've only just got to grips with how the concept applies to ascorbic acid.
I plan on using tyromix diluted by a factor of 30 like @Nero did, so each drop is only 0.1mcg and increase only by 0.1mcg per week and dosing every two hours. Eventually I may start adding in liquid potassium iodide starting in very small amounts probably only increasing something like 25mcg increments.

CreakyJoints

I meant my thyroid has not functioned well since I tried kelp powder. I have been stuck in a hypothyroid state ever since when I wasn’t before. I think those iodine protocols are way too high and iodine can probably supplemented safety but in carefully measured microdoses not megadoses. But overall I’m beginning to think renal acid load, potassium, magnesium and citrate intake as @Amarsh213 has experienced are something to focus on first and only add thyroid and iodine in the smallest effective amounts after that is in order.

I plan on using tyromix diluted by a factor of 30 like @Nero did, so each drop is only 0.1mcg and increase only by 0.1mcg per week and dosing every two hours. Eventually I may start adding in liquid potassium iodide starting in very small amounts probably only increasing something like 25mcg increments.

I suppose I should actually have asked how will you know you've achieved the desired saturation? Are you planning to test after each increment?

Dr. B

how long has it been since using. isnt that odd to have permanent hypothyroidism from short term usage of iodine? i wonder if iodized salt at restaurants and in food products is why theres so much hypothyroidism and autoimmunity in the us

Nebula

I suppose I should actually have asked how will you know you've achieved the desired saturation? Are you planning to test after each increment?
I don’t intend to saturate my body with iodine, just supplement enough for optimal thyroid hormone synthesis, which may be none.
how long has it been since using. isnt that odd to have permanent hypothyroidism from short term usage of iodine? i wonder if iodized salt at restaurants and in food products is why theres so much hypothyroidism and autoimmunity in the us
I think the experience stressed me out so much a lot of things became dysregulated and other hormone deficiencies developed keeping me in a stress hormone metabolism. I feel the best thyroid function now focusing on a low renal acid load, high alkaline mineral diet and aspirin to lower FFAs. I’ve noticed a lot of things are more potent in this state and much smaller amounts are needed to feel effects from thyroid and iodine.

Dr. B

I don’t intend to saturate my body with iodine, just supplement enough for optimal thyroid hormone synthesis, which may be none.

I think the experience stressed me out so much a lot of things became dysregulated and other hormone deficiencies developed keeping me in a stress hormone metabolism. I feel the best thyroid function now focusing on a low renal acid load, high alkaline mineral diet and aspirin to lower FFAs. I’ve noticed a lot of things are more potent in this state and much smaller amounts are needed to feel effects from thyroid and iodine.
whats your diet and liquid intake? what diet and supps are you currently using on this diet?

Nebula

whats your diet and liquid intake? what diet and supps are you currently using on this diet?
Low PRAL foods. Fruit, potatoes, and yogurt mostly, occasional meat. Supplement magnesium citrate by reacting magnesium carbonate with freshly squeezed lemon juice. I’m going to start supplementing potassium citrate too. It’s amazing how good I feel on a net alkaline diet + aspirin. Meals begin to feel euphoric as they digest.

Dr. B

Low PRAL foods. Fruit, potatoes, and yogurt mostly, occasional meat. Supplement magnesium and potassium citrate. It’s amazing how good I feel on a net alkaline diet + aspirin. Meals begin to feel euphoric to consume.
whats the reason for the citrate supplements? Peat has advised against them in food/supplements several times, said they are carcinogenic and inappropriate to use as an additive or supplement. why yogurt instead of milk or raw milk, and how come no liver, OJ, coconut water?

Nebula

whats the reason for the citrate supplements? Peat has advised against them in food/supplements several times, said they are carcinogenic and inappropriate to use as an additive or supplement. why yogurt instead of milk or raw milk, and how come no liver, OJ, coconut water?
I don’t supplement citrate directly. I react carbonates with freshly squeezed lemon juice. Citrate is an excellent precursor to bicarbonate and CO2. Potassium citrate is the form of potassium in fruit. I do drink some milk and OJ, but I don’t care for large amounts. Yogurt goes well with fruit and honey. I don’t currently have enough thyroid hormone in me to metabolize much liver, but I will be consuming more as my thyroid increases.

This is actually working well for me. Avoiding high PRAL foods and chlorides for now seems to be lowering my cortisol a lot. Sleep has gotten much better and scalp inflammation has completely disappeared. Things moving in the right direction. Next up for me is microdosing thyroid and supplementing potassium citrate through potassium bicarbonate + fresh lemon juice.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals