If Your Thyroid Is Working Efficiently, Your Pituitary

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"If your thyroid is working efficiently, your pituitary doesn't have much to do and you're not likely to get a pituitary tumor, your adrenals don't have much to do, and your ovaries don't get over stimulated. The other glands have an easy job when your thyroid is working right. If your thyroid gets interfered with, you have to rev up your adrenals and your pituitary becomes commander in chief and tells everyone what to do."

Mr Joe

Very interesting ! Thx for sharing. It fits well also with the fact that tumor pituitary is directly linked with prolactin excess. Is someone already getting tumor could supress it by fixing thyroid ?

MitchMitchell

Question remains - if your thyroid is NOT working efficiently, what does t3/t4 supplementation achieve? Or any supplementation for that matter?

catharsis

Thyroid supplementation lowers adrenal activity. It promotes normal glucose oxidation, differentiation of cells, and autophagy (among many many other things). If thyroid status and nutrition (all nutrients plus carbs ad libitum), ACTH will not be released (from the pituitary). Supplementing allows you to put a brake on a variety of problematic feedback cycles. It won't fully heal you immediately, but over time can help promote health.

If your thyroid is not working effectively, you can supplement T3/T4 to replace the use a malfunctioning thyroid would normally have. Supplementing with NDT probably won't cause a pituitary tumor to shrink (I don't know anything, I am not a medical doctor and at best, this is the ramblings of a napoleonic, burned-out Zoomer). Please do your own research and consult a trusted GP (open-minded at that)

The analogous situation you are describing @MitchMitchell is like supplementing vitamin E while having a lot of PUFA in your bodily stores. The machine is not running effectively but adding a bit of gas and grease can cause it to run "normally". Over time, with sunlight and effective nutrition, the car will start to run like how it was or like new. By supplementing, you can prevent further damage and shift the scale towards healing (only if proper nutrition is in place, NDT can cause stress)

mgrabs

Thyroid supplementation lowers adrenal activity. It promotes normal glucose oxidation, differentiation of cells, and autophagy (among many many other things). If thyroid status and nutrition (all nutrients plus carbs ad libitum), ACTH will not be released (from the pituitary). Supplementing allows you to put a brake on a variety of problematic feedback cycles. It won't fully heal you immediately, but over time can help promote health.

If your thyroid is not working effectively, you can supplement T3/T4 to replace the use a malfunctioning thyroid would normally have. Supplementing with NDT probably won't cause a pituitary tumor to shrink (I don't know anything, I am not a medical doctor and at best, this is the ramblings of a napoleonic, burned-out Zoomer). Please do your own research and consult a trusted GP (open-minded at that)

The analogous situation you are describing @MitchMitchell is like supplementing vitamin E while having a lot of PUFA in your bodily stores. The machine is not running effectively but adding a bit of gas and grease can cause it to run "normally". Over time, with sunlight and effective nutrition, the car will start to run like how it was or like new. By supplementing, you can prevent further damage and shift the scale towards healing (only if proper nutrition is in place, NDT can cause stress)
So while supplementing thyroid you suggest dosing vitamin E as well? Does this help thyroid hormone work better?

yerrag

Reminds me of a country with a weak or illegitimate leader. Someone else acts like a commander in chief.

And we end up fighting small fires all the time. and get weaker.

catharsis

So while supplementing thyroid you suggest dosing vitamin E as well? Does this help thyroid hormone work better?
I mentioned the vitamin E anecdote because it is a similar situation to supplementing thyroid.

Vitamin E would lower PUFA oxidation and lower aromatase (and thus lower estrogen load), both would improve the liver's function and ability to store glycogen. There might be more factors at play but yes, Vitamin E would help with thyroid hormone.

mgrabs

I mentioned the vitamin E anecdote because it is a similar situation to supplementing thyroid.

Vitamin E would lower PUFA oxidation and lower aromatase (and thus lower estrogen load), both would improve the liver's function and ability to store glycogen. There might be more factors at play but yes, Vitamin E would help with thyroid hormone.
gotcha! I started on a compounded t4 t3 which is a grain. Levo and liothyronine. Its been about 2 weeks at this dose & i do see better waking temps. But still dealing with some shakiness & nervousness along with slight insomnia for now also anxiety. Im Urinating a little more losing some uneeded water weight as well it seems. Face looks less puffy. Appetite seems to be up and down at times.

Not sure what these symtoms are that im experiencing just hoping this is a sign of improvement? And my body adapting to the change. Im wondering how long to stay at a grain if its too early to up it. Again, its been almost 12 days at a grain. Assuming t4 takes time to build?

Normal Human

Question remains - if your thyroid is NOT working efficiently, what does t3/t4 supplementation achieve? Or any supplementation for that matter?
Anyone asking this question, if they haven't already, needs to spend the 20$ and 10-12 hours of their life and read "Hypothyroidism: Unsuspected Illness" by Broda Barnes. There are hundreds and hundreds of cases of people getting cured from all types of issues with proper thyroid supplementation, as well as a step-by-step guide to achieve this. Peat has the writings/theory/philosophy/physiology on why proper thyroid levels are so essential, and Barnes has the clinical experience spanning over 40 years treating patients full time. So many questions on this forum are simply answered in this book

exile

Anyone asking this question, if they haven't already, needs to spend the 20$ and 10-12 hours of their life and read "Hypothyroidism: Unsuspected Illness" by Broda Barnes. There are hundreds and hundreds of cases of people getting cured from all types of issues with proper thyroid supplementation, as well as a step-by-step guide to achieve this. Peat has the writings/theory/philosophy/physiology on why proper thyroid levels are so essential, and Barnes has the clinical experience spanning over 40 years treating patients full time. So many questions on this forum are simply answered in this book

Truly incredible book.