If Your Body Is Low On Calcium. It Leeches It From Bones. What About Magnesium?

Peat has said that your body needs both calcium and magnesium in order to lower PTH and prolactin, and obviously vitamin D to get that calcium to lower them. But let's say you get enough of those, but you aren't getting magnesium.

Does your body leech magnesium from somewhere as well? I noticed I had a very positive effect to magnesium. I am wondering if I'm not getting enough and the calcium alone is somehow making magnesium more. Although I drink a lot of coffee and OJ, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

jaguar43

Peat has said that your body needs both calcium and magnesium in order to lower PTH and prolactin, and obviously vitamin D to get that calcium to lower them. But let's say you get enough of those, but you aren't getting magnesium.

Does your body leech magnesium from somewhere as well? I noticed I had a very positive effect to magnesium. I am wondering if I'm not getting enough and the calcium alone is somehow making magnesium more. Although I drink a lot of coffee and OJ, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Ray Peat has said that Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, and Calcium can substitute for each other. I am not sure if Magnesium is integrate within the bones. But I think Ray Peat has given special emphasis on Magnesium for it's powerful effects on cell inhibition and relaxation. I think teeth may be more prone to magnesium deficiency then bones. I also believe that magnesium plays an important role in allowing calcium to be regulated and not extracted from bones and cells.

OP
mayweatherking
Ray Peat has said that Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, and Calcium can substitute for each other. I am not sure if Magnesium is integrate within the bones. But I think Ray Peat has given special emphasis on Magnesium for it's powerful effects on cell inhibition and relaxation. I think teeth may be more prone to magnesium deficiency then bones. I also believe that magnesium plays an important role in allowing calcium to be regulated and not extracted from bones and cells.

interesting... i'm not sure man. i started low dose thyroid, the everything one with t4 and t3, and i was fine.. then i took t3 alone and noticed some tooth pain. i also notice i get scalp itch, then when i take magnesium, it goes away and i start feeling better, even though i'm drinking like a whole cup of dark roast coffee and mixing salt and drinking a thing of OJ with it. i'm not sure what the deal is. i brought my prolactin down from 22 to 12.. it still has some work to do... and my vitamin D is now 46, so it's nearly where it needs to be to get that lowered.

it's just weird. i just keep eating and eating and eating. my stomach is so full right now, but i still feel a slight hunger pain.. maybe it's too much t3. maybe i should just stick with the regular one, with t4 and t3. lol.

are bloodtests accurate for magnesium and all that? i feel like it's not really accurate.

tara

then when i take magnesium, it goes away and i start feeling better, even though i'm drinking like a whole cup of dark roast coffee and mixing salt and drinking a thing of OJ with it.
A strong coffee and a litre of OJ is good start on meeting Mg needs. Maybe fine for someone in good shape. Those of us who have got a bit depleted may well need more. I think Peat has said that the standard RDI (~400mg) is probably reasonable for most slightly hypothyroid people. Some people seem to benefit from more than this.

it's just weird. i just keep eating and eating and eating. my stomach is so full right now, but i still feel a slight hunger pain
Could be a normal response to eating after long under-eating. I'm glad your appetite has woken up. Your digestive tract is probably out of training - maybe it'll catch up soon.

OP
mayweatherking
have you guys noticed negative effects of the topical magnesium, but positive from internal? ive been using topical without much success, but just tried internal today and felt way better from it... WTF

tara

have you guys noticed negative effects of the topical magnesium, but positive from internal? ive been using topical without much success, but just tried internal today and felt way better from it... WTF
I take oral supplemental Mg. I've used several forms, don't know which is best for me, but having some seems better than not having some.
MgCl irritates my skin, so I only use it occasionally on relatively robust skin. I struggle with baths for epsom salts, and struggle with time for doing foot soaks etc. So I've never ascertained if I can get enough Mg in transdermally to not need oral supps. I did have success interrupting a muscle cramp a while ago by applying MgCl topically.

I think there may be a case for splitting the daily dose into 2 or more doses.

OP
mayweatherking
I take oral supplemental Mg. I've used several forms, don't know which is best for me, but having some seems better than not having some.
MgCl irritates my skin, so I only use it occasionally on relatively robust skin. I struggle with baths for epsom salts, and struggle with time for doing foot soaks etc. So I've never ascertained if I can get enough Mg in transdermally to not need oral supps. I did have success interrupting a muscle cramp a while ago by applying MgCl topically.

I think there may be a case for splitting the daily dose into 2 or more doses.

interesting tara. yeah out of desperation today i just went to whole foods and bought some magnesium because i notice whenever i have coffee, i always get a temperature boost. like everytime, my temp is low, then i drink cofee, all of a sudden a boost. i thought it might have been magnesium, but i had been using it externally so i thought i didnt need it because it was actually making me worse.

i bought the internal one, its like it increased my temperature, i felt my muscles relax, seems to hve helped my libido too, and stopped a lot of my itch. isnt that crazy?

SQu

interesting tara. yeah out of desperation today i just went to whole foods and bought some magnesium because i notice whenever i have coffee, i always get a temperature boost. like everytime, my temp is low, then i drink cofee, all of a sudden a boost. i thought it might have been magnesium, but i had been using it externally so i thought i didnt need it because it was actually making me worse.

i bought the internal one, it's like it increased my temperature, i felt my muscles relax, seems to hve helped my libido too, and stopped a lot of my itch. isnt that crazy?
Did you get magnesium chloride? I'm hypothyroid (and deal with chronic constipation) and I can't do without magnesium chloride. Within minutes i relax, warm up if cold, and feel better about life. No other form or route but mag chloride orally (hate it on my skin) works close to this well for me.

OP
mayweatherking
Did you get magnesium chloride? I'm hypothyroid (and deal with chronic constipation) and I can't do without magnesium chloride. Within minutes i relax, warm up if cold, and feel better about life. No other form or route but mag chloride orally (hate it on my skin) works close to this well for me.

Its some combo product.. ill mag chloride online.

Heres a new development. ... since I started magnesium I all of a sudden have hemroids.. and I never hsd so much hair fall off my head at once.... good times

Makrosky

Ray mentions in the recently transcribed Iodine KMUD about that. Apparently you leach it from the muscles including heart

HDD

Its some combo product.. ill mag chloride online.

Heres a new development. ... since I started magnesium I all of a sudden have hemroids.. and I never hsd so much hair fall off my head at once.... good times

Ray Peat has talked about magnesium supplements causing hemorrhoids and irritation which is why he recommends Epsom salt baths, leafy green broths, coffee, oj, etc. I use magnesium glycinate occasionally and haven't had a problem with it. I don't take it daily or I take less than the dose listed on the bottle. I take it based on whether I'm having daily bm or not, more tension in shoulder/neck, or muscle cramps or twitching. I was taking a theanine/relora supplement recently and noticed hemorrhoid pain and checked the ingredients on the supplement and a form of magnesium was listed. I stopped the theanine and no more pain.