If You Didn't Listen To What Foods Ray Peat Eats Yet

paymanz

Im wondering to what degree boiling and skiming fat from fatty parts of chicken can remove pufa.

Literally

I just buy pastured chickens so they aren't so high in PUFA, although they are expensive... I just don't eat chicken all the time.
If you want to measure you can chill the cooking water, which will make a cake of fat on top. Weigh it and compare to the generic statistics for total fat in a chicken. If you buy a pastured chicken I wouldn't count on those published stats, though.

Fractality

Chicken feet and necks are excellent for gelatin. Boil for an hour or two, Cool then put in the fridge. It sets hard like jello, then you scrape the fat off the top. Then you reheat abc you have chicken soup which is mostly protein.

The only concern with chicken feet is that I read somewhere that there could be arsenic (or ammonia) in the feet? I wonder if it comes from the bones. I can get boneless chicken feet.

Last edited:

SOMO

i wonder what is head-cheese? maybe it's lamb or beef head?

Head cheese is basically aspic or gelatin.

It's called "Salceson" in Polish and is not difficult to find at any Polish butcher/deli.
Salceson - Wikipedia

I had to look it up. As much as I like Peat I just can’t go there.

I don't think it's any more distasteful than pig feet, because I imagine the pigs step in manure constantly. Pigs feet I believe are usually sterilized with ammonia before being put on the grocery store shelf.

Also I'm fairly confident a lot of "head cheese" is simply aspic and isn't necessarily made from the heads of animals.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

It's called "Salceson" in Polish and is not difficult to find at any Polish butcher/deli.
Salceson - Wikipedia

I don't think it's any more distasteful than pig feet, because I imagine the pigs step in manure constantly. Pigs feet I believe are usually sterilized with ammonia before being put on the grocery store shelf.

Also I'm fairly confident a lot of "head cheese" is simply aspic and isn't necessarily made from the heads of animals.
Thanks, pigs feet were my favorite as a kid.

Aymen

Salceson - Wikipedia

in this wikipedia page i found ingredients of Salceson are : pork or veal tongues (cured), pork jowl, skins, pork liver.
so animal tongue and jowls have a good amount of gelatin, i will try lamb head next time instead of lamb shanks.

LucyL

LOVE aspic. So good with a bit of spicy mustard & relish. My kids call it 'meat jello' and refuse to eat it though, so I don't get it made very often. Sigh.

Lolinaa

I do my gelatin with veal feet. I have good results while with oxtails it can vary greatly.

tara

oxtail soup does get fairly fatty. Should I be scraping the fat off the top from that, too? Beef fat is safe
My approach would be to cool the stock in the fridge and see how hard the fat that floats to the top sets. If it sets hard, eat it (as part of the soup, with veges etc cook in it, or lift it off to fry or roast something else). If it stays soft or liquid it might be more unsaturated (I think this can result from more cold exposure to extremities).
i wonder what is head-cheese? maybe it's lamb or beef head?
Lots of recipes online for making it from a pig's head if you don't have local source. Or variations from trotters or other animals etc. I've not seen it available where I am recently. AKA brawn. Lot's of gelatin in it, and can have veges or herbs added to taste if you want.

Inaut

My grandfather, of German descent always ate headcheese. Probably the most feared food from my childhood. I just remember slime and an unusual odour to it.

Yuck

Fractality

Does anyone have any (scientific) answer for how much of the gelatin goes into the broth? Say I slow cook beef tendon, chicken feet, etc and only drink the broth without eating the tendons/feet.

tara

My grandfather, of German descent always ate headcheese. Probably the most feared food from my childhood. I just remember slime and an unusual odour to it.
I loved brawn!
Does anyone have any (scientific) answer for how much of the gelatin goes into the broth? Say I slow cook beef tendon, chicken feet, etc and only drink the broth without eating the tendons/feet.
I think it completely depends on how long you cook it for, how thick they are etc. If you cook long enough, they may completely disintegrate. I'd go for cooking till there isn't much left of the stringy solids that are too much trouble to eat.

Fractality

I think it completely depends on how long you cook it for, how thick they are etc. If you cook long enough, they may completely disintegrate. I'd go for cooking till there isn't much left of the stringy solids that are too much trouble to eat.

Say 10+ hours in a slow cooker. I've done that with beef tendon and there is still physical tendon in there. Sometimes I don't feel like eating the actual tendon, just drinking the broth. It feels like I'm consuming an appreciable amount of gelatin but I wonder how much I am missing out on if I discard the actual tendon.

Aymen

eat the feet, the connective tissues have gelatin.

Aymen

Say 10+ hours in a slow cooker. I've done that with beef tendon and there is still physical tendon in there. Sometimes I don't feel like eating the actual tendon, just drinking the broth. It feels like I'm consuming an appreciable amount of gelatin but I wonder how much I am missing out on if I discard the actual tendon.
10 hours? why not high heat for 3 hours or pressure cooker for 1 hour and 10 minutes?

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Yes!
I sauté yellow onions a bit then add a red romano pepper and vine ripened tomatoes (2 medium) to it and sauté them until the tomatoes lose their water like consistency.
I remove the pressure cooker from the heat and mix in a TSP or more of sweet paprika powder. It's an important step, otherwise the paprika powder burns and turns bitter. I add 2-3 pieces of trotters cut lengthwise (this comfortably fits in my medium size pressure cooker), a generous amount of caraway seeds (3-4 pinches), salt, pepper and water - not too much; to cover the meat. In about an hour, the trotters should become soft and when they nearly fall off the bone, I add 2 medium sized potatoes cut LENGTHWISE and further cook it in the pressure cooker until the consistency of the dish becomes thicker and sticky. Be careful not to burn the food as the trotters have the tendency to stick to the bottom of the pot. Using too much water will not result in a tasty dish. :happy:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals