If you can buy a high altitude tent is that good as living at altitude

Beastmode

Peat has talked about people who go up or come down from elevation too fast can stimulate a strong stress response (i.e- hormones, FFA release, etc.) If going into these tents simulate being at high elevation, we might be skipping the most important aspects: adaption to the higher elevation and "return" to our current one when getting out.

Maybe people who benefit from these tents are already pretty healthy to begin with as they can handle the drastic change in "elevation."

They were popularized a lot in professional sports for athlete recovery, but athletes are a different breed of being able to adapt. Not necessarily from a healthy perspective, but from a "resilience" to handling stressors.

OP
ecstatichamster
Peat has talked about people who go up or come down from elevation too fast can stimulate a strong stress response (i.e- hormones, FFA release, etc.) If going into these tents simulate being at high elevation, we might be skipping the most important aspects: adaption to the higher elevation and "return" to our current one when getting out.

Maybe people who benefit from these tents are already pretty healthy to begin with as they can handle the drastic change in "elevation."

They were popularized a lot in professional sports for athlete recovery, but athletes are a different breed of being able to adapt. Not necessarily from a healthy perspective, but from a "resilience" to handling stressors.

these are great points. Thank you.

Doc Sandoz

Sounds interesting. Wondering what the effect of going from high altitude O2 at night to regular during the day would be. Anyone emailed Ray about this device?

Mauritio

Sounds interesting. Wondering what the effect of going from high altitude O2 at night to regular during the day would be. Anyone emailed Ray about this device?
It still has benefits . I wrote about it in this thread

It's the so called live high train low approach practiced by athletes.

Mauritio

It actually seems interesting . But just as with the tent, with the mask you also have to get the generator, which costs like 2500$ .
But if you got the whole system and the generator really does what it says , it should simulate low oxygen air/ high altitude.

Normally these marks just make you breath less air volume, but the air still has the same percentage of O2 in it .

mimmo123

it doesnt mimic pressure like high altitude but tents are still very beneficial Peat doesnt like the plastic but you can get them with out plastic
this pod thing below does mimic the pressure though but it also infuses oxygen which we dont really want but then it extracts oxygen out as well in a cyclic manner

I learned about this because I heard Tony Robbins mentioned he had one

Dr. B

it doesnt mimic pressure like high altitude but tents are still very beneficial Peat doesnt like the plastic but you can get them with out plastic
this pod thing below does mimic the pressure though but it also infuses oxygen which we dont really want but then it extracts oxygen out as well in a cyclic manner

I learned about this because I heard Tony Robbins mentioned he had one

interestnig stuff how much does it cost to buy one of those? what about the hyperbaric chamber or whatever lebron uses. i think its hyperbaric therapy or something...

mimmo123

interestnig stuff how much does it cost to buy one of those? what about the hyperbaric chamber or whatever lebron uses. i think its hyperbaric therapy or something...

Peat is not a fan of the hyperbaric The CVAC I mentioned is extremely expensive I think 100k plus
but they have a list of locations you can go to and pay for sessions

Dr. B

Peat is not a fan of the hyperbaric The CVAC I mentioned is extremely expensive I think 100k plus
but they have a list of locations you can go to and pay for sessions
whats the CVAC for? high pressure environment? how do the altitude tents work btw, are they just lower oxygen, in that case could you replicate the effect of an altitude tent by just sleeping completely underneath a blanket? like keeping your head and face completely under a pillow or blanket?

GTW

The pump is a nitrogen generator/scrubber working in reverse. Buy one instead, any patents on this use must have expired by now!

Dr. B

I have but he didn't comment on the device being useful or not, he just said his friend got one and it smelled horrible. He did mention something later on, regarding the generator when I asked, i think he said it would be easier to focus on increasing C02 than to reduce the oxygen and air pressure in a house or room. So it's not clear, I think he may agree it has benefits but isn't worth the hassle, and smell and costs.

i havent studied the specifics of these tents, from my understanding you have to get the tent but also get a generator in the tent/room which actually reduces the oxygen and air pressure to make the environment similar to a mountain environment? Ive heard a few NBA players and athletes have gotten entire rooms which they set up to have low air pressure and oxygen so the room itself replicates the mountain environment. they just use a generator of some kind, no tent. if the generators powerful enough, i guess just a room would be enough, you dont need the tent?
which would be more ideal as I think the tent used should be the EMF blocking silver tents, and if you really want the mountain environment get the generator to replicate it?

Last edited:

GTW

When O2 drops you hyperventilate, drawing down CO2, causing hypocapnia, some bad effects are due to relativelyrapid change in blood pH.
To duplicate reduced O2 pressure at altitude you do not want to rebreath CO2. Some small devices recycle some exhaled air but use a CO2 scrubber.

Dr. B

When O2 drops you hyperventilate, drawing down CO2, causing hypocapnia, some bad effects are due to relativelyrapid change in blood pH.
To duplicate reduced O2 pressure at altitude you do not want to rebreath CO2. Some small devices recycle some exhaled air but use a CO2 scrubber.
you need low O2 as well as low air pressure right? to fully get the benefits of the mountain environment and higher co2?

GTW

Low pO2 is the driving force. In the atmosphere the relative % N, O, CO2 is constant at all liveable elevations.

tankasnowgod

Here's an interview with Rico Rogers, former cyclist who sells Altitude tents, canopys and even full room conversions. He's been having lots of success with it, and mentions some interesting innovations, like an app that can adjust altitude at various points in the night.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuuhydLuNjY

The dog in the beginning of the video is apparently 15 years old.

tankasnowgod

Maybe not as good but good. If you can’t get to the mountains why shouldn’t this work?

If you are still interested in this concept, Mile High Training has a Canopy Tent and Generator package for $2700, and they are located in the US-

Still a fair amount of money, but getting reasonable. Plus, that canopy tent is a lot better than the solo mini tent at the beginning of the thread. And you and your significant other can do it together, if that's an issue (but they would obviously have to be on board).

Hypoxico and Box Altitude both have "Cubicle" sorts of tents that would likely be even more comfortable and more permanent, long term. Here's a demo of a Box Altitude user, showing off his Cloud setup, around 3 minutes in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxWcmdRyc3s

And Rico Rogers mentioned the full room conversions.

So, $2700 could you going relatively comfortably. An additional $1000 or so could get you a mini room type tent. And around $15,000 could get you a permanent room setup.