If WiFi And Cell Phone Radiation Are Safe

Badger

Faraday cages over a bed might be a business op for somebody handy with tools.

I've been looking into a powerline ethernet adapter recently because I can't turn off the wifi unfortunately because of my f*aking roommates. I've heard concerns about powerline adapters mimicked here, that they basically create a magnetic field thru the wiring. I have about 5 7'x4' aluminized mylar sheets tho that seem decent at reducing exposure. Couldn't I just wrap the powerline adapter in aluminum foil, and line the walls with the aluminized mylar? I feel like that would repel a good portion of the signals, no?

I did a test recently. I put probably 100 sq ft of aluminum foil and aluminized mylar in my room to repel the signals from my router which sits right outside the foil-laden wall. It seem to do an ok job, since my download speeds are about 30-50% reduced compared to other areas of the house.

On the other hand, I did another experiment; I wanted to see how effective aluminum foil really is, so I wrapped my router in aluminum foil to see what happened. there was some attenuation since my speeds were reduced further, but nothing very effective since it was only 1 layer poorly wrapped. Then I put a metal pot on top of the modem-router, which also wrapped with foil. This reduced things the most, but I was surprised the Wi-Fi was even functional, and my speeds were still decent. If a literal metal pot 1 inch thick covering the router can't fully (or at least significantly) block the wi-fi what the hell material can. Idk enough about physics to guess exactly what's going on but i assume enough signal is escaping from the pot-covering to still make the wifi functional.

My understanding as a layman is that you need a faraday cage that has a gaps smaller than the wavelength, otherwise its useless (the waves will come in through the larger holes). Partial blockage can amplify the signal. On the other hand my hastily erected aluminum foil barrier has 2-3 layers of aluminum and aluminized mylar, with no gaps in it. It's probably 100 sq ft. I don't understand how that isn't enough to completely repel the Wi-Fi. If that can't even get rid of Wi-Fi it makes me wonder how useful Faraday cages even are or whether or not they are actually harmful. idk.