If PUFA's Are One Of The Main Causes Of Aging, Why Don't Fruitarians Look Younger Than Other People

Jennifer

yes and not much copper.
You have to look at the ratio Spices, chervil, dried Nutrition Facts & Calories and you would need a lot.
Wild rice seem to be eaten raw after soaking, if I saw it right in the video you posted! In the big salad! I am amazed she does not sprout the garbazos: this is what I was doing in my big salads! Now I sprout, remove the hull and cook the necessary. Do you eat raw legumes?

Yes he has been nearly raw for 30 years... and what he craves cooked is quinoa, if it has not changed now.
He could always make a chervil concentrate by soaking it overnight in just enough distilled water to cover the herbs. That's what I do occasionally when I feel a craving for greens, but want to avoid the fiber.

Nope, I don't currently eat any legumes or grains, except for the fruit/flesh portion of tamarind.

Wild rice is processed with heat before it's sold so Cara wasn't actually eating raw rice even though she didn't cook it. You'll know this when the rice doesn't sprout but instead "blooms," which basically means the seed absorbs the water and breaks open/unfolds like a flower's petals.

Here is a description of how it's processed:

"Wild rice quality is closely related to the several processing steps involved in treating the rice after harvest. These steps include "curing," where the freshly picked rice is placed in windrows on the ground for a period varying from 7 to 14 days. The grain is turned daily and watered to keep it from heating. During the cure, the grain darkens and some desirable flavor characteristics appear to develop. After the grain is cured, it is placed in parching drums where a combination of steaming, drying, and roasting takes place under controlled conditions. This operation, in addition to drying the grain, also helps develop kernel flavor, color, and texture. The dried grain is dehulled, slightly polished or scarified to scratch seed coat, sized. and packaged."

https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/25265/PDF

Even the traditional methods used by American Indians involve parching the rice in a kettle over an open flame:

"Hand harvested and processed wild rice requires hard work. Canoes are
polled by one person through the wild rice beds while another person uses
knockers, or hefty sticks to bend the grassy plant over the canoe and with
the other stick knock the rice into the boat. In rhythmic fashion from one
side to another a canoe can be filled, depending on the year with some 200
pounds of wild rice in a few hours.

The rice is then taken to shore where a large cast iron pot is set over an
open fire and the rice is then stirred in the pot where it is parched;
stirred with a wooden paddle by hand. The rice is then placed in a birch
bark or other type pan and tossed in the wind so the shucks blow from the
seed. Harvested wild rice can be stored for many years."

Wild rice – sacred manomin

And from the same article...

Not all rice on the market labeled as wild rice is actually wild rice:

"What the commercial growers have is not wild rice, it shouldn’t be called
that,” elders said. The difference is in color, paddy rice is black, lake
rice, brownish gray. Lake rice cooks up more easily and faster, paddy wild
rice may take double the time to soften. The taste is also different. Hand
harvested, parched and processed lake grown wild rice has a nuttier flavor
that carries its own through soups and other dishes, Bois Forte members
said."

I just wanted to point this out because you said your friend gets tired from cooked foods and many rawfoodists are unaware that wild rice isn't actually raw.

Xisca

Hi Xisca. It sounds like you are thriving on a Markus & Cara style raw vegan diet (more salad than fruit) with a little Bernando LaPallo animal food thrown in.
Can you tell me a typical days food with quantities? Particularly one where you felt really good afterwards!
That is a very nice question to ask myself, so I thank you for doing the job!
I have to find solutions to get what I need better.
I did great during ...only a few weeks of raw omnivore, 30 years ago. Always dreamt about it, and did it again little time ago, well maybe 3 years ago. Very difficult. Nearly raw but very carnivore. I just hesitate with dairies, as contrary to cow products I had when in living in the continent, I seem good with goat raw.
My favorite dish is tartare without the nasty sauce. But you need fresh lean beef... And I cannot go shoping often from my wild valley. And I am not tempted by the old dark beef of the unique butcher, not the frozen brazilian meat...

I love a salad including roots and onion, with raw beef and egg. Olive oil and cider vinegar. I that dish I want oil and not mayo.
I used sprouts like buckwheat, 2 days sprouting and not 1. I also like alfalfa sprouts.
I was also using roll mops, or fish or meat cooked with lemon juice.
3 years ago I tried to prepare beef in slices and kept in saurkraut, and it works. Raw other meat I cannot, I cannot even imagine, especially chicken, yuk. Any piece of tender raw beef I can, even if not minced!
Then I am fond of non raw bone soups. Any gelatine dish, also calamar.

Then another dish would be the one I shared in the recipe forum, a mayo cream from bananas, avocado, egg and a lot of olive oil, emulsified. with cinnamon. Part of it eaten with cacao.

Juicing beet, cucumber and greens.
Pectine fruits have to be cooked for me. Apple pear quince... with cinnamon. These fruits and cooked orange (leftover from juice) are great for me.
Basically, I would cook leftovers and concentrate the extracted nutrients in broth. Cooked veggies are not appealing, but a warm broth so thick you cannot see the spoon it, yes. I would throw all that comes from the juicer in the broth!
And cook pectine for a safe fiber. Maybe some people can have it raw, but I can have OJ only if I filter after doing it.

Xisca

Not all rice on the market labeled as wild rice is actually wild rice:

"What the commercial growers have is not wild rice, it shouldn’t be called
that,” elders said. The difference is in color, paddy rice is black, lake
rice, brownish gray. Lake rice cooks up more easily and faster, paddy wild
rice may take double the time to soften. The taste is also different. Hand
harvested, parched and processed lake grown wild rice has a nuttier flavor
that carries its own through soups and other dishes, Bois Forte members
said."
Do they mean that if it is griwn, then it is not wild?
But it is the common name, no relationship with the wildness. For me it just mean that it is not rice, and thus you cannot suppress the word wild, because you would be left with only the word rice!

Now I want to try it! It did not appeal to me because it looks very harsh, very wholemeal, and I fear it is irritant.... When they started to sell this stuff called "allBran" I just could not believe it! I hate husks!

My salads are long to make because I remove all pieces of stems... parsley is yummy and I put a lot, lots of work....

Jennifer

@Xisca – Paddy "wild" rice isn't necessarily the same variety as marsh/lake wild rice. Here's some clarification:

"Unknown to most people, all wild rice is not necessary "wild", as the term might imply. True wild rice is harvested from naturally growing aquatic marsh grass fields and the other is a cultivated paddy-grown variety, created from the same wild species.

The longer black rice commonly found in most grocery stores is the commercially cultivated variety. This type is more uniform in appearance and has been hybridized to eliminate some of the more difficult growing properties of the wild species.

The other kind of rice, typically referred to as "wild rice", is a mix of different types of rice including some commercially grown wild variations."

Nutritional Benefits of Wild Rice, A "Wild" and Cultivated Grain Alternative

True wild rice should be less harsh than the black variety we typically see in stores. The wild rice I used to order was harvested by American Indians and was much softer.

Same here! Salads and soups with greens take me a long time to make because I remove all spines and stems even from baby spinach. I don't know how people eat bran without suffering digestive issues. It's often promoted for bowel regularity but for me, it's the equivalent of eating sawdust.

Richiebogie

Hi @Jennifer,

I bought some canned Thai Jackfruit last night and ate it this morning. It turns out my friend and I had bought jackfruit in Bangkok from a roadside stall but we didn't know its name!

It was tasty, thick and chewy so I can see how it's texture can make it a pork replacement! That photo of the pulled pork roll does look delicious!

I don't think we can get jackfruit fresh here but the canned jackfruit was a good find, so thanks for mentioning it! That is interesting about juicy fruit gum! I will have to try it some day!

I saw some Thai Yellow Curry paste in the shops with a lot of the ingredients for a coconut curry. I think the yellow curry is milder than green and red curries.

Our avocados are creamy but they are often underripe in the shops so we need to plan ahead a week or so! I bought about 8 large overripe avocados cheaply and kept them in the fridge. They were ok to eat but when they ran out I was caught empty handed!

That was surprising about the black Himalayan salt being artificially flavoured but it probably explains why this batch has such a strong sulfur taste. It is quite more-ish!

Did you see the latest veg police Youtube's? I was able to locate his highrise from google maps. At first I thought he was walking where we had stayed west of the old city, but the Aum restaurant showed he was south!

I hope your father is doing ok! It is nice you are making him some tasty meals. Is it cardiovascular related? My dad has had a stent implanted and is on various blood pressure meds. Denise Minger who examined the extensive China Study data found a curious relationship between heart disease and wheat which was stronger than any other correlation! My dad has often said he could never give up bread! I don't think it would help to tell him her research. He was a pharmacist so he has fairly conventional views on health!

Anyway Denise was a raw vegan who discovered a need for sushi. She believes she has improved health from fish which she could not obtain from plants alone. She now eats a lot of leafy greens, raw fish, berries, eggs etc.

A few ex-vegans eat fish, but they tend to keep the amounts quite small, eg. 60g per day! I wonder if they are correct that some fish is healthy, or if Dr Morse is right that any amount of animal food does harm?

I guess we have our whole lives to test these things out!

@Xisca, you eat a lot more meat than I thought you did! You seem to have a good strategy to listen to feedback on how young you look!

I must admit I was disappointed after a year on fruit and dairy that I didn't get any good comments!

I know I will have found the elixir of youth one day when I am told how tall I am for a 10 year old!

The title of this thread is so stupid lmao... ofc avoiding PUFAs is not the only thing you need... protein deficiency is a big stressor, and most fruit in the world is not ripe enough so that adds up if they eat shitty fruit

Richiebogie

Fruit and salad is very low in protein, but each gram of that protein is low in methionine, the only essential amino acid with sulfur in it.

Animal products are high in protein and each gram of protein itself is high in methionine.

"Rats live longer on reduced methionine but methionine- restricted rats lose weight, despite greater food consumption, because of heat loss associated with metabolically inefficient conversion of glucose to fat."

This could be why I keep losing weight on fruit and salad! I might need a little more methionine, or maybe a little more fat!

Http://www.benbest.com/calories/Meth.html

EIRE24

Fruit and salad is very low in protein, but each gram of that protein is low in methionine, the only essential amino acid with sulfur in it.

Animal products are high in protein and each gram of protein itself is high in methionine.

"Rats live longer on reduced methionine but methionine- restricted rats lose weight, despite greater food consumption, because of heat loss associated with metabolically inefficient conversion of glucose to fat."

This could be why I keep losing weight on fruit and salad! I might need a little more methionine, or maybe a little more fat!

LIFE EXTENSION BENEFITS OF METHIONINE RESTRICTION
No. You are losing weight because you are taking in less calories.

Xisca

A few ex-vegans eat fish, but they tend to keep the amounts quite small, eg. 60g per day! I wonder if they are correct that some fish is healthy, or if Dr Morse is right that any amount of animal food does harm?

I guess we have our whole lives to test these things out!

@Xisca, you eat a lot more meat than I thought you did! You seem to have a good strategy to listen to feedback on how young you look!

I must admit I was disappointed after a year on fruit and dairy that I didn't get any good comments!

I know I will have found the elixir of youth one day when I am told how tall I am for a 10 year old!
lol you are funny...
I think your body does not always tell you if you need protein, because when your stomach goes down in Hcl, then you can no more digest proteins well. Fish needs less Hcl! I also know ex-vegan, and some have fallen into "more than paleo", lol nearly rejecting vegetable foods.
For this, or for long time, Dr Morse cannot be right. Many people are harmed by vegetarian diets. I think it can be good for certains people and many for certain time. A friend did a system of proposing food to her babies, and they both chose to eat oyster as young as 6 months old!

May be I use meat more since I dropped 1st gluten and then most grains...

And yes, I remember (with grey hair and no tincture!), having as a favorite game to have a good laugh, telling my real age to people, and watch their face! I was not asking to guess, they would all tell me spontaneously what their guess was. More or less 8 years less. After putting fruits honey dairy and coffee 1st place (and even marmelade during a few months), I would have to say I am 60 if I wanted to get nice comments....

Richiebogie

No. You are losing weight because you are taking in less calories.

Yes you could be right! Cheese has a lot of calories so when I gave that up I should have replaced it with equivalent energy. Instead I replaced it with some extra fruit and salad, but maybe not enough to compensate for the fat foregone!

These partially raw vegans suggest that Denise turned to fish due to insufficient calories:

The link I gave above mentions that humans need way less methionine than rats when adjusted for size, so perhaps eating any animal products gives us too much methionine.

( LIFE EXTENSION BENEFITS OF METHIONINE RESTRICTION )

It may be the sulfur in methionine that makes our excrement, armpits and mouths stink.

You would think that if we needed more methionine to be healthy, then we would sense ourselves and others as smelling better after consuming it, not worse!

Last edited:

Jennifer

Hi Richiebogie,

Oh, great! I've never had canned jackfruit, but I've seen it at the store before. I debated getting it once, but it was packed in syrup and had some sketchy preservatives.

Ooh..thank you for mentioning the yellow curry is milder than the green and red. I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy food.

Ah, okay. The avocados here are usually hard as a rock and take a week to ripen this time of year. I inevitably eat half of them while they're still fairly hard because I become impatient. LOL

Not yet. I have a few veg police videos I need to catch up on. I've been at the hospital all week and spending the rest of my time cooking for my mum and dad so I haven't had much time to get online. I'll be sure to pay attention to Kasey's route.

Thank you! I appreciate that, Richie. My dad is doing really good. He had double bypass surgery on Monday and came home yesterday. His doctors were shocked at how quickly he bounced back. He moves as if nothing ever happened and needs to be reminded to take it easy.

It helps that he doesn't smoke or drink, never had hypertension, exercises regularly and started switching over to a whole food, predominantly plant-based diet back in March. Unfortunately, he still ate chips, store bought pastries and pizza daily.

He also over worked himself, playing back to back gigs without a break or working at his day job all day then playing a gig at night and still going to work the next morning. He's slowly coming around to the idea that stress contributes to heart disease.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad's stent. My dad has had fairly conventional views on health too but because he has witnessed firsthand what I've overcome and learned, both he and my mum trust me. I go to the doctors with them, read over their blood work etc.

I've been following Denise since she first started Raw Food SOS. Well, she doesn't post much anymore but yeah, I remember her take on wheat and heart disease. One downfall of raw is how easy it is to undereat on the diet unknowingly. It's something I haven't seen Dr. Morse address. He usually just relates unwanted weight loss to malabsorption.

I've noticed if I don't get enough fruit cals, I drop weight fast. I'm already down at least 5 pounds from being at the hospital all week and not having enough ripe fruit the entire week before. I tried making up for it with extra coconut and avocado, but I can only eat so much fat before nausea sets in.

I've been meaning to ask you, do you remember Dr. Morse talking about a guy named Ian who lost a lot of weight during detoxification and then rebuilt himself on raw? I came across his channel and thought you might be interesting in it:

Exactly! And I believe most of us passionate about health, regardless if whether or not we eat animal products, raw or cooked, are doing more right than wrong with our diets. We eat real food, not the frankenfood that is the norm.

Xisca

Our avocados are creamy but they are often underripe in the shops so we need to plan ahead a week or so! I bought about 8 large overripe avocados cheaply and kept them in the fridge. They were ok to eat but when they ran out I was caught empty handed!
Ah, okay. The avocados here are usually hard as a rock and take a week to ripen this time of year. I inevitably eat half of them while they're still fairly hard because I become impatient. LOL
lol I have my home grown avocados, and the 1st thing you learn when you live in a place that produces the fruits, is that you NEVER harvest tham ripe!!! So, store quality is the same! I have to plan ahead to...
You can buy several unripe ones, and store them at different temperature. And the ones you want to ripen faster, you put in a paper bag with an apple. You can also try with a ripe banana. It accelerates.
Exactly! And I believe most of us passionate about health, regardless if whether or not we eat animal products, raw or cooked, are doing more right than wrong with our diets. We eat real food, not the frankenfood that is the norm.
The only real diet is to eat real food and not processed food. Then, apart from following your cravings, the thing missing is a way to find out which is the best for you, without having to try them all. The ayurveda eating was women's job, and they cooked for all the family according to their dosha and state, and not the same meal for all. At least, I usually serve my salads with the basic stuff, and each person compose her salad and her dressing too.

I make a transition now, and I am on a veg juice diet, as long as I feel it. I am for sure in ketosis at the moment!

Jennifer

I have my home grown avocados, and the 1st thing you learn when you live in a place that produces the fruits, is that you NEVER harvest tham ripe!!! So, store quality is the same! I have to plan ahead to...
You can buy several unripe ones, and store them at different temperature. And the ones you want to ripen faster, you put in a paper bag with an apple. You can also try with a ripe banana. It a
Yep, that's what I've read, but what I meant was that I rarely find ones in the store now that have already started to soften. I used to find soft was all the time. One produce manager told me that the avos were being picked earlier than usual this year so they've been taking longer to soften. I'm not sure if that's true, but even putting them in a paper bag with a ripe banana hasn't helped when it always had in the past. I've even tried putting the bag in the oven with the oven light on to create a warmer environment and that hasn't helped.

What types of avocados do you grow? This past winter, I started growing some low oil varieties in ball jars filled with nothing but water and they're huge now. I need to get some pots so I can transplant them in some soil. I have a SAD light that I used on a Christmas cactus and aloe plant last winter and they grew like crazy so I'm going to use it on the avocado plants this winter and see if they do, too.

I hope the veggie juice treats you well. :)

Xisca

Yes I feel good on the juice! Beet of course, carrot, potato too! I let the starch do down. then dandelion, parsley and onion.

I have Haas avocados. and a pinkerton.

If they were taken too young, you can notice it with the color, the green is much lighter and they are more bright too. Then they never mature well, not so creamy.
Non grafted avocados do not produce before 10 years, they become huge, I know I have one, and grafted ones can produce in 4 years and even when they are small trees!

Richiebogie

Hi @Xisca, are you in Brazil? That would be a good climate for fruit growing. I think you said you once lived in Spain! Is that correct?

Hi @Jennifer, thanks for the Ian Myers links. He is a faithful disciple of Dr Morse!

You are right that Dr Morse says that Ian's 'absorption and utilization' have naturally improved over time making Ian more muscular!

Dr Morse doesn't mention the sheer quantity of fruit Ian eats has increased over time to cover his energy requirements!

As I am already eating a lot of bananas and dates I have started eating more fat to up the calories!

I have increased my fat consumption using 70% (non dairy) chocolate, olives, wholegrain mustard and avocados which are now ripe! I have started adding back desiccated coconut to my fruit smoothies for extra saturated fat, but this time I will limit it to 1 teaspoon and balance the arginine with extra vegemite!

The fat seems to ease my hunger during the day. I think Dr Morse has said that fat helps dissolve acid in the lymph!

A Morse-ish explanation for all the seemingly contradictory dietary phenomena we see is to think about "rabbit starvation". This refers to the observation that rabbit is so lean that men who only have rabbit to eat will die!

It sounds like we can think of all animal protein in this way - as a toxin but often accompanied by useful fat and trace nutrients!

With this point of view, butter and cream become relatively healthy foods, but skim milk would be like rabbit - barely anything beneficial in it!

Seafood at least would provide nutrients less available on the land, but to minimise protein one should choose sea vegetables!

Maybe the odd bit of free range beef and duck fat would help too, but I will hold off the animal fat for the time being!

Anyway this theory could be totally wrong! Maybe Denise Minger has it right after all!

I have been making a salad dressing the last 2 nights with a couple of spoons of whole grain mustard, juice of half a lemon, mixed herbs and curry powder! That went nicely with mixed leaves, tomato, avocado and artichoke!

Tell your dad to take it easy! He will get to play more gigs overall if he limits them to sensible hours that don't interfere with his sleep!

After all, a whole foods vegan diet is what Jim Morrison and Jimmy Hendrix were about to embark upon before their untimely deaths... It is the very essence of the rock and roll lifestyle! (no guarantee)!

Last edited:

Xisca

Hi @Xisca, are you in Brazil? That would be a good climate for fruit growing. I think you said you once lived in Spain! Is that correct?
Canary, Spain but Africa! Same latitude as south florida.

Xisca

I have increased my fat consumption using 70% (non dairy) chocolate, olives, wholegrain mustard and avocados which are now ripe!
The fat seems to ease my hunger during the day. I think Dr Morse has said that fat helps dissolve acid in the lymph!
Be careful that cacao and avocado are both too rich in copper compared to zinc! This + bananas f***ed me up! bananas have 5 times DV of copper compared to zinc.Take pumpkin seed, they have zinc.
You need like olive oil, to flush your bile, so that it flushes your copper out of the liver.
Coconut oil does not do it.
I breakfast with a bitter salad with orange juice or lemon juice and a lot of olive oil!
It sounds like we can think of all animal protein in this way - as a toxin but often accompanied by useful fat and trace nutrients!
Where does he see toxins in meat? Or how is it that there is more than in leaves? They also have! Grains and all seeds have a lot of anti-nutrients that meat does not have...
Only if you lack stomach acid you cannot have meat.

Richiebogie

Hi @Xisca,

Ok, the Canary Islands sound lovely! And did you say you live in a valley far away from the main towns?

You are right that pumpkin seeds are high in zinc relative to copper. I also heard they were high in vitamin e which should compensate somewhat for their high pufa.

They are also high in arginine compared to lysine so I would need to balance that with more brewers yeast extract!

What symptoms did you get from high copper/low zinc?

I am already finding the higher fat is giving me darker stools! Is that a sign that the liver is releasing more bile, perhaps mixed with some liver waste products like excess copper?

Dr Morse says that animal protein is highly acidic. After metabolizing the protein our cells release an acidic waste product that concentrates in our lymph and gets stuck there. Some tries to escape via the skin as acne and pimples. Some gets encapsulated as fatty tumors in the lymph.

Other researchers have found a correlation between the sulfur-containing amino acid methionine [high in animal flesh and cows' milk] and inflammation / cancer.

Of course eating 2 eggs a day, 100g fish, or 200ml full cream milk would not be as harmful as eating bucketloads of whey protein isolate as found in body building formulas!

Last edited:

Xisca

Yes, a lonely valley with a big garden... the dry mediterranean climate of some parts of western Australia, where are you yourself?

I stopped growing pumkins for seeds because of this forum, and I am going to buy some. Are will grow more next year. I don't know about the amino acids balance you talked about...

Well I had orange stools with zinc! Now when I take some, I have nervous symtoms in my legs and arms, dizziness, feel my 2 sides of the head are not at the same level...
I am already finding the higher fat is giving me darker stools! Is that a sign that the liver is releasing more bile, perhaps mixed with some liver waste products like excess copper?
Yeahhhhhhhhhh greaaaaat! I got this when reintroducing olive oil. yes you make more bile, and never know what you release....
Dr Morse says that animal protein is highly acidic. After metabolizing the protein our cells release an acidic waste product that concentrates in our lymph and gets stuck there. Some tries to escape via the skin as acne and pimples. Some gets encapsulated as fatty tumors in the lymph.
Other researchers have found a correlation between the sulfur-containing amino acid methionine
Maybe more complicated than this... Carnivores need to eat some bones or else yes they acidify. The good ratio is in all petfood, 1,2 if I remember. We do need the bone broth.

How did the meat based civilisation do it? I am not sure it gets stuck for everybody, so there is a need to know why. I considere all grains to be equaly acidic.

I cured my university bf from acne by removing sugar and dairies. but it seemed to have been mainly sugar. Sweetened dairies are fatal!

What does the body use methionine for? If we use it properly, then there should not be any problem. Same with some non excessive pufa, if you use it, in this case you burn it, there is not problem.

The problem may not be in the food but in the ability of our body to use this food. Any diet can be considered transitional, until health modifies itself. I would prefer to eat some animal products from time to time,, just to keep the ability and the taste for it. The problem with proteins is that we should need to eat them raw. Hard cooking I think damages proteins.

Hunters and breeders had dogs, thus I am sure the dogs were given the toughest pieces!

Xisca

In raw vegan, I think I agree more with raw than vegan lol!
I agree with vegan short term for health reasons. B12 is stocked for 4 years. I cannot agree with a diet needing to supplement, as it means it lacks something.

Also I agree with all cooked short term if needed.

And I agree with cooking when it allows you to eat foods that are unedible raw!