If pregnenolone is the 'mother neurotransmitter hormone'...

kineticz

Then can someone explain to me how, for example, pregnenolone converts into dopamine?

I have read that it co-ordinates the D1 enzyme (T4 to T3), and controls neurotransmitters. We know it synthesises into DHEA and progesterone, but how does that relate to neurotransmitter control, since they are hormones and not neurotransmitters.

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
Then can someone explain to me how, for example, pregnenolone converts into dopamine?

I have read that it co-ordinates the D1 enzyme (T4 to T3), and controls neurotransmitters. We know it synthesises into DHEA and progesterone, but how does that relate to neurotransmitter control, since they are hormones and not neurotransmitters.

I think it is the mother neurosteroid, not the mother neurotransmitter. Neurosteroid is simply a nickname for a steroid that is thought to have activity on the brain, which is probably all steroids really. This means testosterone and estrogen are also neurosteroids, and they have been shown to be. In fact, Peat talks about estorgen being responsible for the masculinization of the male brain while in the womb.
Neurotransmitters are usually derived from amino acids - serotonin from tryptophan and dopamine from tyrosine.

haidut said:
In fact, Peat talks about estorgen being responsible for the masculinization of the male brain while in the womb.

Do you remember where he talked about this?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:
In fact, Peat talks about estorgen being responsible for the masculinization of the male brain while in the womb.

One of the KMUD interviews where somebody asked him if a male should try to lower "female" hormones like estrogen. Peat responded by saying this is a great misconception and that estrogen is not a female hormone even though it is responsible for estrus. Then he proceeded to explain how in the womb it is estrogen that gives the male fetus brain its characteristics, and many of the features we think of as "male" (aggressiveness, anger, arrogance) are actually caused by high estrogen and not testosterone.
Unfortunately, I don't have the link to that interview. Hopefully when they all get transcribed we'll be able to find it.

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:

One of the KMUD interviews where somebody asked him if a male should try to lower "female" hormones like estrogen. Peat responded by saying this is a great misconception and that estrogen is not a female hormone even though it is responsible for estrus. Then he proceeded to explain how in the womb it is estrogen that gives the male fetus brain its characteristics, and many of the features we think of as "male" (aggressiveness, anger, arrogance) are actually caused by high estrogen and not testosterone.
Unfortunately, I don't have the link to that interview. Hopefully when they all get transcribed we'll be able to find it.

Great!

OP
kineticz

kineticz

haidut said:
kineticz said:

I think it is the mother neurosteroid, not the mother neurotransmitter. Neurosteroid is simply a nickname for a steroid that is thought to have activity on the brain, which is probably all steroids really. This means testosterone and estrogen are also neurosteroids, and they have been shown to be. In fact, Peat talks about estorgen being responsible for the masculinization of the male brain while in the womb.
Neurotransmitters are usually derived from amino acids - serotonin from tryptophan and dopamine from tyrosine.

Hmm, well I'm sure you're familiar with Chilln's 101s.

He says that pregnenolone is central to neuroTRANSMITTER co-ordination, hence my confusion.

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

He says that pregnenolone is central to neuroTRANSMITTER co-ordination, hence my confusion.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I have never heard of anybody refer to pregnenolone as neurotransmitter. It does affect GABA release and GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter, but pregnenolone itself is not. Maybe I am missing something??

OP
kineticz

kineticz

haidut said:
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I have never heard of anybody refer to pregnenolone as neurotransmitter. It does affect GABA release and GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter, but pregnenolone itself is not. Maybe I am missing something??

I guess that co-ordination is not the same as synthesis. So maybe he is referring to the result of increased metabolism across all hormones requiring adequate cholesterol and preg to exert their effects on mood. For example, keeping testosterone from causing excess estrogen (with estrogen being primarily a serotonin inducer and MAO-inhibitor).