If fish oil is bad, does that mean specialize pro resolving mediators (SPM) are rather bad?

ironfist

(I saw this somewhere on the forum)

I've never heard fish oil is bad. But SPM are like ultra concentrated fish oil, just the good stuff I grasp. Some website said it's like a gallon of fish oil in one pill.

Only a few companies make these. edit - can a mod change the title to specialized? Our forum software does not allow changes or deletes.

mostlylurking

(I saw this somewhere on the forum)

I've never heard fish oil is bad. But SPM are like ultra concentrated fish oil, just the good stuff I grasp. Some website said it's like a gallon of fish oil in one pill.

Only a few companies make these. edit - can a mod change the title to specialized? Our forum software does not allow changes or deletes.
Which part is the "good stuff"? The usual spiel is that omega 3 fat is "good" for you because it is very polyunsaturated. But the fact that it is polyunsaturated means that it is unstable and will go rancid (oxidize) really fast which is really bad for your health. So if you research the "SPM" variety and learn if it is still polyunsaturated you will have your answer. Polyunsaturated means it is unstable (prone to oxidation); saturated means it is stable (not prone to oxidation).

VitoScaletta

Which part is the "good stuff"? The usual spiel is that omega 3 fat is "good" for you because it is very polyunsaturated. But the fact that it is polyunsaturated means that it is unstable and will go rancid (oxidize) really fast which is really bad for your health.
Isn't the benefit basically the mild anti-oxidative effect of a higher o3 : o6 ratio?

I have to say, no doubt some of the fish oil will be rancid when you take it, esp if not from fresh fish.
But from what I read it can't really oxidise in an uncontrolled fashion in the body. Its oxidation is controlled.

mostlylurking

Isn't the benefit basically the mild anti-oxidative effect of a higher o3 : o6 ratio?

I have to say, no doubt some of the fish oil will be rancid when you take it, esp if not from fresh fish.
But from what I read it can't really oxidise in an uncontrolled fashion in the body. Its oxidation is controlled.
Both omega 3's and omega 6's are polyunsaturated. The mumbo jumbo of getting the ratio of the two right doesn't hold water. They are both bad for you because they both go rancid inside of you; the omega 3's just go rancid faster.

If you put an unstable fat (polyunsaturated) into a warm (98.6 degrees), highly oxygenated environment (like your body), it will become oxidized (rancid).

The Great Fish Oil Experiment If you have a hard time reading this because the formatting went wonky, just copy/paste into a word document on your computer or click Control and + to make the font larger and the length of the lines shorter on the screen.

Dr. B

Both omega 3's and omega 6's are polyunsaturated. The mumbo jumbo of getting the ratio of the two right doesn't hold water. They are both bad for you because they both go rancid inside of you; the omega 3's just go rancid faster.

If you put an unstable fat (polyunsaturated) into a warm (98.6 degrees), highly oxygenated environment (like your body), it will become oxidized (rancid).

The Great Fish Oil Experiment If you have a hard time reading this because the formatting went wonky, just copy/paste into a word document on your computer or click Control and + to make the font larger and the length of the lines shorter on the screen.
The ratio still matters wouldn’t it? Grass fed 100% milk and beef fat has an even ratio omega 3 and 6.
Its the grain and soy and corn fed beef and animal meats that have more omega 6 than omega 3. In addition to keeping pufa intake low in general, the ratio probably counts for something as well. Maybe theres some situations where it could be worth adding like, 500mg black seed oil and 500mg or 1gram fish oil. The BSO has its own unique effects but i think it can have omega 6

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals