If by some miracle you have managed to raise your cholesterol, please let us all know.

Bingo

If you have tried to raise your cholesterol please post your experience here.

Some of us have very low cholesterol and can not raise it. We are all hoping for a clue.

I think taking pregnenolone has helped me the most. If I take it regularly my cholesterol goes up about 15 points. Which gets it over 100, so yay!

Eating eggs and sugar might help but less even than the pregnenolone. Plus it’s hard to look at an egg these days and my sweet tooth is gone.

Nothing else has helped. I don’t restrict calories and I don’t exercise much. Not over or under weight. Since cholesterol is made in the liver I expect the answer is one of unblocking the chemistry pathway in liver but I haven’t found anything that does that.

Please everyone chime in with your experiences! Maybe we can get an answer yet.

Happycat

I would also like to know this, my cholesterol was around 145 last time it was checked.

chompie

Dave Feldman has found a pretty reliable way to do this over and over. Google it

Deadpool

Ive got the same problem. My total cholesterol is ridiciously low at 80. If anybody has any solutions please help.

Deadpool

In this podcast atom bergstrom talks about eating oranges to raise cholesterol. Unlearning Things We’ve Thought to Be True About Good Health | One Radio Network

Ive had the same result when I was peating pretty strictly 4 years ago, consuming 2 quarts of high quality OJ a day, drinking milk, high sugar. I assume it has something to do with liver conversion or me actually metabolizing something to fast, as well as low grade infection. My TSH is always at around 1.0 and my free T3 and T4 are at the very top of the range. My sex hormones are all pretty low but DHEA-S is slightly elevated. Recently I had an Iron deficiency, as well as copper and ceruloplasmin deficiency on blood tests.

sunny

Ive had the same result when I was peating pretty strictly 4 years ago, consuming 2 quarts of high quality OJ a day, drinking milk, high sugar. I assume it has something to do with liver conversion or me actually metabolizing something to fast, as well as low grade infection. My TSH is always at around 1.0 and my free T3 and T4 are at the very top of the range. My sex hormones are all pretty low but DHEA-S is slightly elevated. Recently I had an Iron deficiency, as well as copper and ceruloplasmin deficiency on blood tests.
By what blood test is it low? Here are some interesting bits on iron- high and low- that I have collected. In one RP says anemia/low iron is really low blood, as in low hemoglobin.

In one of the GE podcasts with RP, Danny Roddy was talking about ceruloplasmin and should it be a goal to increase it. RP responded, "that's not my goal". It was not talked about what an adequate or necessary result for it was.

IRON:

RP: High Iron, particularly if it’s the Iron Saturation %, just like Prolactin, is a sign of high estrogen. Are you dealing with your thyroid first?

DR: “Estrogen and the hypoxia , and the low thyroid increasing the estrogen promoting the hypoxia, that is what’s making the iron accumulate and displace the copper. It’s not just a random iron overload situation right”

DR: “So the iron overload is actually hyperesteogenemia
RP: “I think so, in most cases”
Danny Roddy Clips

High Iron, particularly if it’s the Iron Saturation %, just like Prolactin, is a sign of high estrogen. Are you dealing with your thyroid first?
-------‐------------
think improving nutrition in general might be a better idea than addressing iron directly since people can have a high level of stored iron combined with a low level of red blood cells. One should be eating gelatin, liver, oysters, shrimps, fruits, cooked green vegetables, etc. (e.g.: Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, copper, zinc, magnesium, selenium, etc. ). Here are a few articles/quotes which might help:

Ray Peat on copper deficiency and iron, their relationship
Ray Peat - Iron's dangers
Danny Roddy - Iron Overload, Perturbed Redox Balance, and Meddling Serotonin

On Anemia
Anemia in itself doesn't imply that there is a nutritional need for iron. - Ray Peat
It is possible to have too much iron in the blood while being anemic. - Ray Peat
Anemic means lacking blood, in the sense of not having enough red blood cells or hemoglobin. - Ray Peat
Most people define anemia as low iron, but should be classifying it as low bio-available copper causing increased saturation of iron in the tissues. - EastWest Healing

Thyroid
Abnormal thyroid status can affect ferritin level, without necessarily affecting your iron load. - Ray Peat

High estrogen
High estrogen causes hypoxia which in turn causes iron accumulation. - Danny Roddy (paraphrased from Ray Peat)

Copper and Vitamin A
Too much iron and too much stress makes us lose copper. -Ray Peat
The copper in oysters is protective against iron excess. - Ray Peat
Copper defends agains activated iron. Copper can turn ferrous iron back into the safer ferric iron. - Ray Peat
Vitamin A and bioavailable copper [from liver and shelfish] play a huge role in regulating iron ferrous to ferric iron. - EastWest Healing
Low iron and Low iron saturation –a sign your iron recycling programing is slowing down in response to a deficiency in bio-available copper [from liver and shelfish]. - East West Healing
Iron is regulated by bio-available copper and vitamin A. - EastWest Healing

Sunlight or Redlight
Regular good light exposure is probably important for preventing the displacement of copper by iron. - Ray Peat

Things that lower iron
We are always shedding iron from intestines and skin cells. - Ray Peat (Patrick Timpone interview 2020-08)
Vitamin E and aspirin are two extremely effective ways of lowering iron levels in both tissues and brain. - Georgi Dinkov
‐-‐--------------------,------
"Low ferritin means low iron stores. Whether that means lower inflammation is not always clear but testing CRP and ESR would tell you that. In general, the lower the ferritin the lower inflammation since iron plays such a prominent role in inflammatory reactions." - Haidut "

Last edited:

cs3000

also curious after i found out how harmful low cholesterol can be . definitely want >5 mmol or 5.2 mmol at least. i researched sugar and it doesn't do much if anything for cholesterol. the whole lowering LDL angle to health has been a massive fuckup

Each 1 mmol/L increase in total cholesterol corresponded to a 15% decrease in mortality. Mortality from cancer and infection was significantly lower among the participants in the highest total cholesterol category than in the other categories, which largely explained the lower all-cause mortality in this category. [In this study all groups low to high had same incidence of heart disease] DEFINE_ME

In an age- and sex-adjusted analysis, participants with S-TC > or = 6mmol/l had the lowest risk of death (hazard ratio, HR = 0.48, 95% CI 0.33-0.70) compared with those with S-TC < 5 mmol/l

Lower serum cholesterol concentrations (4.96 (SD 1.16) mmol/l) were found in the parasuicide subjects than in the controls (5.43 (1.30); P < 0.001), regardless of sex

After adjustment for age and other factors, relative risk of suicide for men with low average serum cholesterol concentration (< 4.78 mmol/l) compared with those with average serum cholesterol concentration of 4.78-6.21 mmol/l was 3.16

butter looks best out of the fats for raising total cholesterol, through LDL mainly and some HDL, coconut oil about 1/2 effect focused on HDL, lowered LDL very slightly
50g butter daily for 4 weeks = 0.42 mmol/L increase in total cholesterol.
probably ~10% increase

this one Butter increased total and LDL cholesterol compared with olive oil but resulted in higher HDL cholesterol compared with a habitual diet used 16.6g butter daily , total cholesterol went from 5.22mmol to 5.5mmol , increased both HDL and LDL

interested in knowing about more if anyone knows

Last edited:

aliml

Possible causes of low cholesterol are:
Both overt and subclinical hyperthyroidism is associated with reduced serum levels of TC, LDL and high density lipoprotein (HDL) [21, 22]. Hyperthyroidism can also be the underlying cause of unexplained improvement of hyperlipidemia [21]. These hypolipidemic changes in hyperthyroidism are explained by various effects of thyroid hormones on the lipoprotein metabolism. Despite the increased hepatic de novo cholesterol synthesis in hyperthyroid states due to augmentation of HMG-CoA reductase activity, levels of total and LDL cholesterol, are likely to diminish in patients with hyperthyroidism due to enhanced LDL receptor-mediated catabolism of LDL particles [21, 22] and increased bile excretion of cholesterol [21]. Moreover, the triiodothyronine (T3) enhances the gene expression of the LDL receptor and hence the receptor activity [21]. Thyroid hormones also stimulate the enzyme lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which catabolizes the triglyceride-rich lipoproteins [21]. The end result of all previous changes, is reduction in serum level of TC, LDL and HDL.
Hyperthyroidism lowers cholesterol, so anti-thyroid foods like orange juice may increase cholesterol!

cs3000

@Bingo found any more?

mostly the ones that show up just give a small increase but

"In contrast, a coffee oil stripped of the non-triglyceride lipids cafestol and kahweol had no effect. In three volunteers, purified cafestol (73 mg/d) plus kahweol (58 mg/d) increased cholesterol by 66 mg/dl (1.7 mmol/l) after 6 weeks. Thus, serum cholesterol is raised by cafestol and possibly also kahweol, both natural components of coffee beans"

^ this is a nice effect. but is there a place to buy these coffee oils isolated, are the essential oils safe to ingest? & is the 2g dose needed safe?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7911820

A placebo-controlled parallel study of the effect of two types of coffee oil on serum lipids and transaminases: identification of chemical substances involved in the cholesterol-raising effect of coffee - PubMed arabacia is the better bean for raising cholesterol

Boiled coffee contains a lipid fraction that does not pass through a paper filter, and after consumption of boiled coffee that is subsequently filtered, no rise in serum cholesterol was detected. Administration of a lipid-enriched fraction from boiled coffee to 10 healthy volunteers led to a rise in serum cholesterol (23%), LDL cholesterol (29%), and triglycerides (55%) after 6 wk of administration. Each subject was instructed to homogenize the emulsion before consuming 7.5 mL emulsion (1 g coffee oil) with the aid of a 10-mL syringe twice daily for 6 wk. This amount of coffee oil is equivalent to 1.0-2.9 L boiled coffee.

2g coffee oil = ~ 60 mg cafestol
Safety:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11002126/
Diets containing 5% coffee oil appeared to be toxic. Thus, coffee oil diterpenes can result in higher plasma cholesterol in gerbils and rats. The failure to observe these effects in previous studies may be due to doses that were too low.

^ so the 5% 87mg dose was toxic to rats, the 0.5% dose 8.7mg of cafestol they didnt mention toxicity in the abstract and it had an effect. if i'm calculating that right 8.7mg safe dose for rat is about 250mg human dose

BUT in the human study

"The rise in ALT observed in this study is of the same magnitude as the elevation of ALT observed with increasing body mass index or alcohol consumption of up to nine units a day"
^ liver enzymes from 2g coffee oil / 68mg rose by as much as drinking 3 pints of beer a day
alanine transaminase

so i guess this amount isn't safe if its elevating this liver enzyme?

animals respond differently to humans with these cholesterol increasing effects
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10604186/

and it only increases LDL cholesterol. which i'm not sure is good or not?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9022539/

Last edited:

cs3000

great article How to Raise HDL - Perfect Health Diet | Perfect Health Diet

Physical Activity​

Exercise is another method for raising HDL that seems entirely healthful.

In the evolutionary environment, continuous exertion probably signaled danger: either a difficult hunt or, more likely, some form of warfare with other humans. In either case, injury and a need for wound repair was a likely prospect. Breaching of the skin barrier by wounds mean infections. Since HDL plays a role in wound repair and infection resistance, it would make sense to upregulate HDL production during exertion.

In one 12-week trial, HDL was raised by 24.8% on a moderate-intensity walking program and by 20.9% on a high-intensity walking program. [3]

In the evolutionary milieu, sitting for 16 hours a day would have indicated a lack of danger and little need for HDL. It turns out that daily sitting time strong predicts low HDL – and it only takes a day for HDL levels to adjust. In rats, 16 hours of daily inactivity caused a 20-25% drop in HDL levels by the end of the first day [4]:

The same phenomenon occurs in humans: 20 days of bed rest leads to a 20% reduction in HDL [5].

Resistance training also helps, but perhaps not as much as reduced sitting time. Obese sedentary women raised HDL by 15% following a 9-week, 3 times per week resistance training protocol. [6]

Overall, the most effective way to raise is HDL through activity is simply to reduce the daily time spent sitting and increase the time spent standing or walking.

Sitting is also a major risk factor for obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. [7] So it looks like high activity levels are strongly health-improving.

Until recently I was sitting or sleeping about 23 hours a day, which can’t be healthful. To repair that I recently built a standing desk. Now I stand, kneel (on a padded bench), or half-kneel half-stand throughout my working hours. I strongly recommend a standing desk as an effective way to increase HDL.

----

Exercise intensity: its effect on the high-density lipoprotein profile - PubMed going from sedentary to walking 2 miles at 60% max heartrate, 3 times a week, raises HDL cholesterol a lot ~25%. more intense gives less effect, moderate is better.

actually not 60% max specifically calculation for heartrate to target is 0.6 * (Peak Heart Rate - Resting Heart Rate) + Resting Heart Rate

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1365-2796.1998.00303.x sedentary for 11 days = ~20% drop in HDL cholesterol and increase in LDL cholesterol instead. HDL is linked to better immunity.
-----

he also mentions in the article someone eating 60g butter / butter oil daily and it reversed his artierial calcification Seth's Blog » Blog Archive » New Heart Scan Results: Good News

One and a half years ago, in February 2009, I got a heart scan. It’s an X-ray measurement of how calcified your arteries are. Persons with high scores are much more likely to have a heart attack than persons with low scores. Scores in the hundreds are dangerous. Tim Russert, who died at age 58 of a heart attack, had a score of about 200 ten years before his death. Above age 40, the scores typically increase about 25% per year. That puts Russert’s score when he died at around 2000.

A few weeks ago I got another scan, at the same place with the same machine. Here are my scores. February 2009: 38 (about 50th percentile for my age). August 2010: 29 (between 25th & 50th percentile). In other words: 47% lower than expected. The earlier scan detected 3 “lesions”; the recent scan detected 2. The woman who runs the scanning center — HeartScan, in Walnut Creek, California — told me that decreases in this score are very rare. About 1 in 100, she said.

The only big lifestyle change I made between the two scans is to eat much more animal fat. After I found that pork fat improved my sleep, I started to eat a large serving of pork belly (with 80-100 g of fat) almost every day. Later I switched to 60 g of butter every day. The usual view, of course, is that to eat so much animal fat is v v bad and will “clog” my arteries. In fact, the reverse happened. Judging from this, the change was v v good.

Last edited:

cs3000

Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.

^ Ray peat mentions HDL and large particle LDL is good, it's just the small particle LDL that should be avoided

"The recent discovery that the size of the LDL particle is a predominant factor in the development of atherosclerosis is one of those things that the editors and medical professors should find embarrassing.

Smaller lipoprotein particles have a greater surface area exposed to the oxidative factors in the serum, and so are more rapidly degraded into toxic substances. People with larger LDL particles are remarkably resistant to heart disease"

The HDL lipoprotein is one of these, which protects against inflammation by binding bacterial endotoxins that have reached the bloodstream. (Things that increase absorption of endotoxin--exercise, estrogen, ethanol--cause HDL to rise. VLDL also absorb, bind, and help to eliminate endotoxins. All sorts of stress and malnutrition increase the tendency of endotoxin to leak into the bloodstream [<interesting reason behind why red wine exercise shown to raise HDL. body assumes more need for protection, more HDL, which protects against a bunch of stuff]

Cholesterol, either that produced internally by the cell, or taken in from the blood stream, is the precursor for all the steroids in the body. Several of the major steroid hormones are antiinflammatory, and cholesterol itself is antiinflammatory. (Mikko, et al., 2002; Kreines, et al., 1990). Cholesterol also protects against radiation damage, and many forms of toxin (saponins, cobra venom, chloroform--W.G. MacCallum, A Text-book of Pathology, 1937, Saunders Co.; many more recent studies show that it protects blood cells against hemolysis--breakdown of red blood cells--caused by heat and other harmful agents; e.g., Dumas, et al., 2002, Velardi, et al., 1991). Cholesterol, vitamin E, progesterone, and vitamin D are considered to be "structural antioxidants," that prevent oxidation partly by stabilizing molecular structures.

Although cholesterol is protective against oxidative and cytolytic damage, the chronic free radical exposure will oxidize it. During the low cholesterol turnover of hypothyroidism, the oxidized variants of cholesterol will accumulate, so cholesterol loses its protective functions

In the last 20 years, there have been many studies showing that lowering cholesterol increases mortality, especially from cancer and suicide, and that people with naturally low cholesterol are more likely to die from cancer, suicide, trauma, and infections than people with normal or higher than average cholesterol."

* A study of old women indicated that a cholesterol level of 270 mg. per 100 ml. was associated with the best longevity (Forette, et al., 1989). "Mortality was lowest at serum cholesterol 7.0 mmol/l [=270.6 mg%], 5.2 times higher than the minimum at serum cholesterol 4.0 mmol/l, and only 1.8 times higher when cholesterol concentration was 8.8 mmol/l. This relation held true irrespective of age, even when blood pressure, body weight, history of myocardial infarction, creatinine clearance, and plasma proteins were taken into account."
*In the roundworm C. elegans, which is now a very popular animal for testing aging theories, because its genes and cells have been thoroughly "mapped," it was recently found that adding a gene that simply allows it to synthesize cholesterol, rather than depending on food for its sterols, increased its life span by as much as 131% (Lee, et al., 2005).

-----

Coconut milk is another method

but lowers LDL in place of the increased HDL so probably won't see a rise in total from it. tho still HDL seems to be better than broadly LDL because of the included small particle LDL bunched into that

23g of coconut fat from coconut milk daily

coconut milk.png

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21296318/
Each 10-mg/dl increment in HDL cholesterol was associated with a 14% (HR 0.86, 0.78 to 0.96) decrease in risk of mortality before 85 years of age. In conclusion, after adjusting for other factors associated with longevity, higher HDL cholesterol levels were significantly associated with survival to 85 years of age

Last edited:

cs3000

butter looks best out of the fats for raising total cholesterol, through LDL mainly and some HDL, coconut oil about 1/2 effect focused on HDL, lowered LDL very slightly
50g butter daily for 4 weeks = 0.42 mmol/L increase in total cholesterol.
probably ~10% increase

this one Butter increased total and LDL cholesterol compared with olive oil but resulted in higher HDL cholesterol compared with a habitual diet used 16.6g butter daily , total cholesterol went from 5.22mmol to 5.5mmol , increased both HDL and LDL

interested in knowing about more if anyone knows

Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.

^ Ray peat mentions butter increases the good large LDL particles

There have been several studies in India showing that consumption of butter and ghee is associated with a low incidence of heart disease; for example, according to one study, people in the north eat 19 times more fat (mostly butter and ghee) than in the south, yet the incidence of heart disease is seven times higher in the south. A study in Sweden found that the fatty acids in milk products are associated with larger LDL particles (Sjogren, et al., 2004)

In a 35 day study, when butter (20% of the calories) was compared to various kinds of margarine (with more trans fatty acids) in a similar quantity, the LDL particles were bigger on the butter diet (Mauger, et al., 2003)

In that first 50g butter 4 weeks study
total 5.9 -> +0.42mmol +~7%
LDL 3.5mmol -> +0.33mmol +~10%
HDL 1.9 -> +0.09mmol +~5%

16g butter 5 weeks study
+4.2% total
+5.6% LDL
+3.6% HDL

So maybe 23g coconut milk + 50g butter daily is a great combo

coconut milk raises HDL ~+15% - ~+20% and lowers LDL -10%

the butter raises HDL ~5% and raises LDL ~10%, largely good large LDL paricles (filling in for loss by coconut milk while giving extra HDL boost too)

if total cholesterol is low <5mmol ~4mmol or 4.5mmol, +2mmol is a good target ~+40%

Last edited:
OP
B

Bingo

Dave Feldman has found a pretty reliable way to do this over and over. Google it
I looked Dave up and his work is interesting. He seems to be promoting low carb and very high fat. He has identified what he calls a hyper responder who produces more LDL than a regular person. It seems like a lot of info there. I think he would call me a hypo responder! I am going to study his work further. Any time i find someone promoting and extreme diet, for example carbs below 3% or under 10 grams I become very cautious. Even if it increased cholesterol it would be unsustainable. I do appreciate the info and would love to know if others are studying cholesterol synthesis in the real world practical way that he is. I love his Citizen Scientist movement we need more of that.

OP
B

Bingo

In this podcast atom bergstrom talks about eating oranges to raise cholesterol. Unlearning Things We’ve Thought to Be True About Good Health | One Radio Network
Thanks for the link! I tried the 2qt OJ and 2 qt milk diet with eggs and a carrot a while back when I was really at a sick point. It did raise my cholesterol but only a little! I was hoping my liver would take a bath in all that sugar and make ore cholesterol. If I was starting out I would try this first for sure. I did find the orange juice produces heart burn and my teeth became sensitive. Things to watch out for if you go too far with a severely restrictive diet.

cs3000

Thanks for the link! I tried the 2qt OJ and 2 qt milk diet with eggs and a carrot a while back when I was really at a sick point. It did raise my cholesterol but only a little! I was hoping my liver would take a bath in all that sugar and make ore cholesterol. If I was starting out I would try this first for sure. I did find the orange juice produces heart burn and my teeth became sensitive. Things to watch out for if you go too far with a severely restrictive diet.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/72/5/1095/4729784

by this orange juice doesnt increase total much but gives a +21% boost to HDL , with drinking 750ml a day

Last edited:

cs3000

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3292202/
dietary cholesterol.png

Dietary cholesterol raises cholesterol a little, maybe ~+8% or +10% from high intakes.

i read somewhere the effect maxes out around 900mg daily

Plasma total cholesterol increased 1.47 mg/dL for each additional 100 mg/d of dietary cholesterol (P < .001).
LDL cholesterol increased 1.38 mg/dL for each additional 100 mg/d of dietary cholesterol. To convert milligrams per deciliter cholesterol to millimoles per liter, multiply by 0.02586.

So the full 900mg dietary cholesterol intake gives +0.34 mmol, or +13.3mg/dl. less effect than i thought but still something extra

Last edited:

Vanset

That's only because that's how much dietary cholesterol they tested. Had they tested up to 2000mg of dietary cholesterol they would've found an increase as well. Generaly dietary cholesterol is hypercholesterolemic up to about 1600-1800mg a day. Even beyond that it will still increase your total cholesterol and LDL, but there will be greater and greater diminishing returns.

The orange juice is not doing OP any favor as well. The only research I have found that OJ (or sucrose in general) increases blood cholesterol level is via intake of upwards of 200g (aka exceeding liver glycogen storage capabilities) of sucrose a day and then it will increase your liver cholesterol, which is the last place where you'd want it. OJ can actually decrease your cholesterol levels because of the various flavonoids or soluble fiber. I have no idea how Ray came up with this drink OJ to increase cholesterol. You will not raise your LDL with it and that's the type of cholesterol you want for hormone synthesis and proper functioning.

A very eay protocol for raising cholesterol is:
- at least 50g of dairy fat from BUTTER > CHEESE, but NOT milk.
-
6-8 eggs/egg yolks a day.
- decreasing dietary fiber to below 10g a day or completely removing it.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals