If all life is purposeful as Ray Peat has stated...

PeatThemAll

halken said:
post 103813 ...does that mean everything in life happens for a reason?

Possibly. Paraphrasing Paul Chek "(...) you might not be lucky enough to find out what your mission in life is."

To this I would cynically say, "... and unfortunately, Life not being all kumbaya and history being a great teacher, if you don't have a plan for your life, someone else has one for you."

Out b4 Matrix references.

An aïkido book I read once mentionned that all Life is conflict, and that without conflict there is no life. Tao-ish. A boat does not advance without its sail opposing the wind thing. The toughest plants are those who grow exposed to the wind, and not in greenhouses. Etc.

So maybe the Scandinavians had it right from day one. Life is a never ending battle. Might as well learn to enjoy and thrive from it. Nassib Taleb's Antifragility would parallel this (life is not linear, life/death happens at the extremes, Power Law processes).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
halken

halken

Yea nice.

I'm wondering something more profound:

Does life with purpose need a reason?

Is reason just a byproduct of an organism with self-awareness?

Joocy_J

halken said:
post 103813 ...does that mean everything in life happens for a reason?

No, that is just an excuse that people make to take the burden of responsibility off of their shoulders. People hate the fact that they are responsible for their own life.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaguar43

I think it depends on what you are referring too. From the biological perspective cells seem to work purposeful to create stability and insure a high energy state for better function. So disease could be viewed as a biochemical process that happens when demands aren't meet.

If your referring to life as culture or society, then it's possible that the things that are happening are not purposeful. And instead serve someone else's interest. I think Ray Peat has written about these issues on the vision and acceptance website.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals