Idiopathic, Paradoxical And Of Unknown Origin

Kray

j. said:
2 eggs per day, probably at least 100 grams of liver per week.

I might be an unusual case of someone who needs a lot of vitamin A. Some bodies don't use vitamin A efficiently, I believe.

Great, thanks. :)

Speaking of Idiopathic, Paradoxical and Unknown Origin....I know a woman who has been severely hypothyroid since she was in her 20's, but I have only known her since she was 30. She has been on Synthroid for decades and has seriously struggled with her health. She is a stunningly beautiful woman who has taken very good care of herself as far as mainstream medicine and culture are concerned: always dieting to stay slim, lots of exercising (she does half marathons and runs everyday) and ALWAYS follows her doctors advice. She eats lots of fish, vegetables and diet soda.

She has chronic sinus infections, she has had several root canals, she has struggled with severely fibrocystic painful breasts for YEARS with needle biopsies on several occasions, she has excruciating joint pain for which she takes cortisone shots quite frequently. Her hip pain became so unbearable this last year that she consented to a full hip replacement last Friday. Her TSH is through the roof and has been for years, but the doctors DO NOT KNOW WHY she is falling apart at such a young age, she just turned 53....she is my step mother, my father's third wife and 22 years his junior. He is a marathon runner and trains very hard. His poor inadequately treated hypothyroid wife tries to keep up with him to her own detriment. Her doctors are making a fortune while she suffers.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wow. :(

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Her doctors do not know why. Sounds about right. Sad.

Yep, I cried when I found out she was in surgery on Friday. I cried again when my dad brought her home on Saturday afternoon. She is just over 5 years older than me. I cannot say anything to them, I am the black sheep of the family and seen as eccentric because of my refusal to play by the rules of popular culture. They are beautiful people with the finest medical care that money can buy, their doctors know best......NOT.

It has been excruciatingly difficult to sit back and watch this go down over the years.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I hear you. People do blindly follow doctors orders and never even think to question anything. Rich, poor and everyone in between- it's in epidemic proportions. You really are better off to avoid it the best you can. The sad thing with her case it sounds like most of it starts and ends with crazy dieting and exercise which isn't uncommon either. I guess they'll look good in their coffin or thin anyway. I'm sorry to hear that though really. It's always hard when you know what could help someone but you can't even say, tragic. My father in law has cancer and gripes at me for using coconut oil! I think there are a lot of forum members with a similar experience. I just try to be the best example I can. The doctors never know, trust me. I've worked in the trenches since 99 and I haven't met one yet that knew. I probably wouldn't be here if they did ever know anything. It's truly amazing.

J

j.

Blossom said:
People do blindly follow doctors orders and never even think to question anything. Rich, poor and everyone in between-

And even doctors blindly follow the advice of doctors in other areas.

Blossom said:
Most paradoxes really are just part of a system that keeps people confused and in the dark!

In our usage, there is no sharp distinction between a paradox and an error. A paradox is
simply an error out of control; i.e. one that has trapped so many unwary minds that it has gone
public, become institutionalized in our literature, and taught as truth.
-Edwin Thompson Jaynes

Jaynes is a late mathematician and physicist whose ideas changed everything I thought about science, math, and rational thinking. He is sort-of the Ray Peat of statistics, as he was the first to integrate discoveries of others into a practical and useful understanding. I understand some of his ideas, but I am hoping improving my health will finally give me the focus and energy to deeply study and understand his work, so I can apply his ideas to human health problems.

Ignorance exists in the map, not in the territory. If I am ignorant about a phenomenon, that is a fact about my own state of mind, not a fact about the phenomenon itself. A phenomenon can seem mysterious to some particular person. There are no phenomena which are mysterious of themselves.
-Eliezer Yudkowsky

YamnayaMommy

I've got to say that I have personally been told in the past by medical 'authorities' that this or that problem was idiopathic. One example was about about eight years ago when I was treated for a prolactinoma. I was told at the time that about 20% of the population has this problem and no one knows why. I'm sorry but that's pathetic. Ironically, after discovering the work of Peat it all made perfect sense. I also experienced melasma (a pigment disorder) around the same time as well as PCOS and endometriosis resulting in a partial hysterectomy all by the age of 36! As an aside I noticed that while on bromocriptine for the prolactinoma the pigment disorder resolved. This all probably could have been prevented or minimized had I not followed conventional wisdom. It's really a shame that peoples lives are being effected to varying degrees and when they seek help from medical authorities (conventional or alternative) they are often told that the problems origin is unknown! If you start reading Peats work it soon becomes obvious that this human body isn't so mysterious after all! I can't believe people accept that type of explanation and I was one of them. Thanks for letting me RANT. I feel so much better now. :2cents

hi blossom, I read with great interest this old thread that I came across while searching prolactinoma.

I am seeing my primary doctor next week, finally, to get a referral to a vascular surgeon. Despite peating for nine months, my varicose veins that first appeared while breastfeeding my first child have only gotten worse (while breastfeeding my third). I will also have a blood work up and am very curious what my prolactin levels are.

I have major melasma on my face and am yawning excessively, both I understand are symptoms of high prolactin. Presumably my prolactin levels are elevated since I’ve been lactating basically nonstop since 2015. But I wonder if I’ve also developed a prolactinoma , and whether that is behind the vascular disease.

I’ve been doing high calcium, high protein, and progest e during second half of my cycle.

I also smoked in my twenties, although never heavily (never more than five a day), and still use nicotine lozenges occasionally.

Have you heard of anyone developing vascular disease in connection to high prolactin levels?

YamnayaMommy

I've got to say that I have personally been told in the past by medical 'authorities' that this or that problem was idiopathic. One example was about about eight years ago when I was treated for a prolactinoma. I was told at the time that about 20% of the population has this problem and no one knows why. I'm sorry but that's pathetic. Ironically, after discovering the work of Peat it all made perfect sense. I also experienced melasma (a pigment disorder) around the same time as well as PCOS and endometriosis resulting in a partial hysterectomy all by the age of 36! As an aside I noticed that while on bromocriptine for the prolactinoma the pigment disorder resolved. This all probably could have been prevented or minimized had I not followed conventional wisdom. It's really a shame that peoples lives are being effected to varying degrees and when they seek help from medical authorities (conventional or alternative) they are often told that the problems origin is unknown! If you start reading Peats work it soon becomes obvious that this human body isn't so mysterious after all! I can't believe people accept that type of explanation and I was one of them. Thanks for letting me RANT. I feel so much better now. :2cents

oh, and it’s thrilling to hear that your melasma went away. That must have been so satisfying.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
oh, and it’s thrilling to hear that your melasma went away. That must have been so satisfying.
Yes, I’ve noticed since if my progesterone gets too low it comes back.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
hi blossom, I read with great interest this old thread that I came across while searching prolactinoma.

I am seeing my primary doctor next week, finally, to get a referral to a vascular surgeon. Despite peating for nine months, my varicose veins that first appeared while breastfeeding my first child have only gotten worse (while breastfeeding my third). I will also have a blood work up and am very curious what my prolactin levels are.

I have major melasma on my face and am yawning excessively, both I understand are symptoms of high prolactin. Presumably my prolactin levels are elevated since I’ve been lactating basically nonstop since 2015. But I wonder if I’ve also developed a prolactinoma , and whether that is behind the vascular disease.

I’ve been doing high calcium, high protein, and progest e during second half of my cycle.

I also smoked in my twenties, although never heavily (never more than five a day), and still use nicotine lozenges occasionally.

Have you heard of anyone developing vascular disease in connection to high prolactin levels?
I have not but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a connection. :)

YamnayaMommy

Yes, I’ve noticed since if my progesterone gets too low it comes back.
Hm. Do you get frequent testing? How do you know when your progesterone is low?

are you able to raise progesterone levels through supplementation ?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Hm. Do you get frequent testing? How do you know when your progesterone is low?

are you able to raise progesterone levels through supplementation ?
I just know because whenever I stop supplementing progesterone after a few months I will start having hyperpigmentation again. It seems for me it’s important to keep my prolactin low and use progesterone regularly. I was hoping that would change post menopause but it hasn’t yet.