Ideas On Getting Salt Into The Diet

aguilaroja

j. said:
pboy said:
If you only consume a small amount of salt, the body is pretty good at conserving it.
...by increasing aldosterone which is associated with kidney damage.

Exactly, aldosterone excess has a cascade of difficulties.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ed ... enia.shtml

"While increased salt in the diet tends to lower both aldosterone and VEGF, reducing the leakiness of blood vessels, sodium also has a direct effect that tends to prevent the leakage of water and albumin out of the blood vessels...."

Mittir

pboy said:
If you only consume a small amount of salt, the body is pretty good at conserving it.

In KMUD interview when the host asked RP about salt restriction in Gerson Diet, RP pointed out that
their diet was very rich in other alkaline minerals. RP has mentioned in many interviews
and articles that alkaline minerals compensate for each other to great extent.
If your sodium intake is low and other alkaline mineral intakes are
higher than normal, you will able to prevent deficiency of potassium an magnesium.
Here is a RP quote

One of the things that happen when there isn't enough sodium in the diet is that more aldosterone is synthesized. Aldosterone causes less sodium to be lost in the urine and sweat, but it achieves that at the expense of the increased loss of potassium, magnesium, and probably calcium. The loss of potassium leads to vasoconstriction, which contributes to heart and kidney failure and high blood pressure. The loss of magnesium contributes to vasoconstriction, inflammation, and bone loss. Magnesium deficiency is extremely common, but a little extra salt in the diet makes it easier to retain the magnesium in our foods.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml

Stilgar

I have often wondered to what extent climate alters the need for salt?
I find fruitarianism, or close to it, very easy in sunny climes, and I don't feel the same need for salt as I do at home (UK), even if I am sweating and exercising and the like, abroad.
Now I can't go a winter without tonnes of salt, or else I am unimaginably cold.

Perhaps it is just a reflection of thyroid health. Most of my health problems have always reflected what Ray calls the 'Winter Illness'. I would do anything to get out of it. Durianrider eats enough sugar to maximise his liver's capacity for good thyroid health, cholesterol, energy production and so forth, which may go some way to explaining his reasonable level of health. He never lets himself go hungry. In many ways, I think he is a better example than most in that community.

pboy

to really have a significant amount of aldosterone, you almost have to completely restrict salt. Having 2 tsp a day (1g sodium) is not restricting at all. Its just overkill to purposely add a lot of salt to everything and expect any kind of extra benefit

OP
D

dukez07

Just to add a bit more meat to this thread, parmigiana reggiano is also quite high in salt. Hence, if you can tolerate the extra fat (without downsides), it might be worth giving it a go as a protein source. It will also have a higher nutritional profile than cottage cheese.

haidut

Forum Supporter
dukez07 said:
Just to add a bit more meat to this thread, parmigiana reggiano is also quite high in salt. Hence, if you can tolerate the extra fat (without downsides), it might be worth giving it a go as a protein source. It will also have a higher nutritional profile than cottage cheese.

Second that, and if you want something saltier the Romano cheeses (almost like Parmesan with cheddar taste) is so high in salt it made me sweat when I ate 3oz.

haidut

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
Pecorino Romano combined with OJ and I can sweat bullets... :cool:

Exactly, Pecorino Romano is what I had. Man, that thing is soaked in salt:): But I like it.

BingDing

BingDing said:
I sometimes put a 1/2 tsp in some water, swirl it around and down it. The taste of it varies, I guess by how much I need it. I never heard that a big dose like that is not recommended. What is the issue with it?

Well, I can answer my own question. Salt water is alkaline. Doh. The ocean is about one teaspoon of salt in a cup of water and has a ph around 8. I was using eight times that concentration. No frickin wonder my stomach didn't like it.

I tried 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of lemon juice in 1/4 cup of water, it seemed about a neutral ph and didn't bother my stomach at all.

A forum member in another thread said he used 1 tsp salt in a pint of oj, twice a day, and fading towards later in the day to help with sleep.

superhuman

@Blossom why not chase down salt with liquid and only do pinches? says who and why?

@Mittir i dont think you need to think about that alkaline thing with baking soda. RP mentioned that baking soda is great for making the cell acidic on the inside aka reverse the swollen state.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
why not chase down salt with liquid and only do pinches? says who and why?
Sorry to be graphic but I've vomited from taking too much salt at once and not making sure it was dissolved well. I think my stomach was pretty empty when that happened because just some coffee came back up. I read some older threads on here that recommended taking extra salt that way to avoid GI irritation.

superhuman

@Blossom get you. I just take 1 tsp in my mouth, chew and swish a little then i drink some milk and swish around til everything is dissolved and then swallow. No problemo and i can get down alot of salt this way.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom get you. I just take 1 tsp in my mouth, chew and swish a little then i drink some milk and swish around til everything is dissolved and then swallow. No problemo and i can get down alot of salt this way.
That's good to know! I might get brave and try a larger amount again sometime soon. It's been a couple years since that happened and my stomach seems to be a lot stronger these days. I have a (bordering on irrational) fear of vomiting. There is actually an official name for that fear and it's called emetophopbia.

tara

Sorry to be graphic but I've vomited from taking too much salt at once and not making sure it was dissolved well.
I think strong salt water is a known way to stimulate exactly that reaction - bounce.
Strong/undiluted salt is likely to be hard on tissues, even if it doesn't cross the personal threshold for vomiting/feeling sick.

L

Lord Cola

How do you get enough salt with Peat recommended foods other than eating lots of salty cheese in a way that doesn't taste repulsive? Salt in milk or juice more than a tiny amount tastes awful. Surely there must be a more pleasant way of eating all that salt (more than 5 grams of sodium) than parachuting it.

It also seems like eating salt in a concentrated solution has a different effect on digestion compared to eating the same amount dissolved in something like a quart of milk, where eating salt mixed in a quart of milk hinders digestion more than drinking a concentrated salt solution. But then a concentrated solution is even less appetizing.