“I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine

nwo2012

This is now my, by far, favourite quote from RP. Man how I wish that would happen.

“I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medicine. The same general outcomes Ivan Illich worked for. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDr71LHO ... re=related) ”

That was in reply to:

What impact would you like to see your research make on society? Reaching the largest amount of people? or a certain type of person? Or are you completely detached from the outcome?

Source (and great interview)
http://www.dannyroddy.com/an-interview- ... ymond-peat

burtlancast

Re: “I’d like to see it lead to the disestablishment of medi

In Ray's last interview, he shared how he was affected by heavy migraines in his childhood/ teens years, and how doctors were unable to help him.

I wonder how much this illness was responsible for him deciding to become a physiologist ?
It was too severe migraines that forced Max Gerson to look for a solution, and he stumbled by accident on his diet cure.

I strongly suspect the majority of the great advances in medecine have been made by people who entered the profession in order to cure their own illnesses: those that havn't been affected by bad health very often tend to look down on patients , patronise them and be staunch supporters of the status quo. They often lack empathy.

Maybe should we forbid the medical profession to people in good health ?

J

j.

burtlancast said:
I wonder how much this illness was responsible for him deciding to become a physiologist ?

It probably was essential. I didn't care about nutrition, health, biology, etc., at all when my health was perfect.

burtlancast

I love how he exposes the medical establishment. The sad part is even when explained in these clear terms, many people won't really understand/ believe him .

" In a world where everyone cheats, it's the honest man that appears like a charlatan." (André Gide)

It is exactly the commoditization of medical knowledge that makes it dangerous, and generally stupid. Doctors buy their knowledge, and then resell it over and over; it’s valuable as a commodity, so its value has to be protected by the equivalent of a copyright, the system of laws establishing the profession. Without its special status, its worthlessness would be quickly demonstrated.

When A.C. Guyton wrote his textbook of medical physiology (the most widely used text in the world) in the 1950s, it was trash; as it was studied and applied by generations of physicians, it was still trash. The most compliant patients who bought their treatment from the most authoritative, Guytonesque, doctors were buying their own disability and death.

When people buy professional knowledge they get what they pay for, a commodity in a system that sustains ignorance.

When research is paid for by taxpayers, and government grant money even pays the journals to publish it, and mostly public money pays for universities to subscribe to the journals at outrageous prices, then I think it’s approximately criminal for the journals to charge for electronic access to it. If knowledge gets its value from scarcity, and the owner of the information deliberately makes it scarce, then ignorance becomes an essential part of the value system.

J

j.

burtlancast said:
When research is paid for by taxpayers, and government grant money even pays the journals to publish it, and mostly public money pays for universities to subscribe to the journals at outrageous prices, then I think it’s approximately criminal for the journals to charge for electronic access to it.

Charlie, we have a front page quality quote!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Did Peat say that?

Btw, I just saw some headlines that the president was pushing to make any journal that taxpayers paid for available to the public.

jyb

Well that's not just RP's view, re cost of academic journals. More and more academics are starting to think the same in recent years.

BingDing

burtlancast said:
I love how he exposes the medical establishment. The sad part is even when explained in these clear terms, many people won't really understand/ believe him .

" In a world where everyone cheats, it's the honest man that appears like a charlatan." (André Gide)

It is exactly the commoditization of medical knowledge that makes it dangerous, and generally stupid. Doctors buy their knowledge, and then resell it over and over; it’s valuable as a commodity, so its value has to be protected by the equivalent of a copyright, the system of laws establishing the profession. Without its special status, its worthlessness would be quickly demonstrated.

When A.C. Guyton wrote his textbook of medical physiology (the most widely used text in the world) in the 1950s, it was trash; as it was studied and applied by generations of physicians, it was still trash. The most compliant patients who bought their treatment from the most authoritative, Guytonesque, doctors were buying their own disability and death.

Burt, are those all RP quotes? Great stuff.

Have you ever felt like Gide's charlatan? I sure have, in little things.

When people buy professional knowledge they get what they pay for, a commodity in a system that sustains ignorance.

When research is paid for by taxpayers, and government grant money even pays the journals to publish it, and mostly public money pays for universities to subscribe to the journals at outrageous prices, then I think it’s approximately criminal for the journals to charge for electronic access to it. If knowledge gets its value from scarcity, and the owner of the information deliberately makes it scarce, then ignorance becomes an essential part of the value system.