ICUs "Full"

wolfman37

I live in a Wisconsin county of 250,000. We have 2 hospitals. We have a total of 7 COVID hospitalized patients. I dont know how many are in ICU.

Rick K

Rick K

Rafe

Couple more articles on the numbers & politics of lower numbers of hospital beds in US over the past 50 yrs. some useful figures here.

Highlight:

1975 the US had 1.5m hospital beds, (population 216m).By 2019 the number was 919 thousand (population 328.2m). The articles always stress the closing of rural hospitals. means the sickest patients will be airlifted to the nearest urban facility. And that’s not even to talk about the business of the increased use of air ambulances for people who don’t need trauma care (then billing them for it).

See in this one from 2016 prediction of “bedless hospitals” & “monitoring outpatients with cameras & web based tools.” Touchless health care?

I work with a lot of academics & I watched a video of a rally to demand a public university issue a vaccine mandate. The danger? Unvaccinated don’t care about the children.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Regarding the fact (?) that 90% of COVID patients in ICU being unvaccinated. I wonder whether the vaccination ’weeded’ through the more vulnerable and those who would have ended up in the ICU if not being vaccinated had their severe reaction already from the vaccine - and may be even dead??

It’s because of the spike protein which is the disease causing agent.

Fred

Outstanding. Just like the hospital ships. Never used. Good find.
There's so many "overflow hospitals" that never saw a patient, it's hard to keep track. Hard to imagine these things are built for any purpose other than theater.

belcanto

My husband has been in the ICU for a week with COVID pneumonia (he did well on HCQ and Ivermectin but wouldn't rest, then on the last day of quarantine his O2 saturation dropped dangerously). The first day he was there he shared a room with another man, then for the last 6 days it's just been him in a 2-bed ICU room. So no, I wouldn't say they were overfilled, especially as they seem to be taking their time in moving him into a less-restrictive floor.

SOMO

I also imagine that many other beds can be recruited for sick patients besides the ICU.

Last time I was in the hospital, I was in the ER, on the first floor, in the ER bed, but I was actually an ICU patient. So yeah, they can call a spade a club and everything will still be fine.

My husband has been in the ICU for a week with COVID pneumonia (he did well on HCQ and Ivermectin but wouldn't rest, then on the last day of quarantine his O2 saturation dropped dangerously). The first day he was there he shared a room with another man, then for the last 6 days it's just been him in a 2-bed ICU room. So no, I wouldn't say they were overfilled, especially as they seem to be taking their time in moving him into a less-restrictive floor.
I hope he recovers rapidly!

gaze

sorry to hear that. How low did the 02 drop ?

JohnHafterson

Much like literally every other business, Hospitals operate at near capacity in order to stay in business. It's not shocking if a hospital is operating around 95-100% capacity...... That's what they regularly operate at. They even operate at "surge" capacity sometimes, like during the 2017-2018 flu season-

Note the date of that Time article precedes the whole "Lady Eating a Bat" story and the supposed discovery of a "Novel Corona Virus," by basically 2 years.

So, really, nothing unusual. What IS unusual is when hospitals were operating at 30-50% capacity, in the March/April/May 2020 time frame.
Yeah I was driving to various hospitals in my county last year.

Also my girlfriend at the time owned a retail shop and was delivering gifts to all the nurses.

I went on a few deliveries with her to 3 separate "Covid" hospitals near Chicago.

They seemed very quiet.

Furthermore not all hospitals were taking Covid patients, apparently they were being funneled to certain locations.

That never made sense to me. We're in a pandemic should be all hands on deck but not.

My dad and mom both had surgeries last year, the hospital they were at had Covid patients but again not a lot.

Girlfriend would get pissed when I said these hospitals seemed pretty quiet for a pandemic.

My sister works at the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix as a nurse. She says they are just as crowded this year than last with a diverse patient profile some Covid but not a lot but mostly other people for surgeries and other things.

She hasn't sounded the alarm.

A lot of the states experiencing Covid "surges" now are pretty antivax so may be propaganda to get uptake.

These states also have poor outcomes ranking in the lowest of US states with high obesity/chronic/lifestyle disease burdens.

Badger

When they say ICU is full what they actually mean is that STAFFED ICU beds are full. They are understaffed not over full with covid. And as Vaccine Mandates roll through the different health systems this will only get worse. I think as many as 30 percent of nurses may quit.
I agree. I've seen a couple dozen reports and tweets sharing stories of MDs and nurses quitting or fired for refusing mandated vax from different parts of the US. In rural area where I live, the local paper interviewed nursing home staff who protested mandated vax as condition of employment in front of the place, and they openly said, with their names attached to their statements in the paper, they would resign or be fired if they did not take vax, which they were not going to do.

belcanto

Thanks #ecstatichamster, #gaze, and #Birdie for your good wishes for my husband. He is doing better and the doctor told him he could go home tomorrow. When he was admitted, his O2 was around 30%! He was given a Bi-PAP mask with 100% oxygen and medication, then moved progressively to less-intense oxygen delivery. He may come home on oxygen, but he looks great and he's ready to come home.

LUH 3417

I’m a labor and delivery nurse. I have been working in a hospital since the beginning of the pandemic. I’ve never seen a sick covid + mom. Never seen a sick baby either. Its like covid isn’t real on our unit.

What I have seen is a patient come in for a miscarriage at 18 weeks, 3 days after her second shot. We rarely get miscarriage patients since most of them happen in the first trimester at home.

The huge push for the vaccine in pregnancy according to the CDC is that it is supposed to prevent the risk of premature delivery in moms who do get sick with covid. Ironically we had a 28 week pregnant patient come in and deliver. She went into a labor a few days after her second shot.

I have seen an uptick of patients testing positive for RSV and parainfluenza the past few weeks. They are all asymptomatic as well. I believe when they run the covid swab the lab also does a viral panel for all the other common viruses.

regarding staffing we have been working 3-5 nurses a night since June. Normal staffing is supposed to be 9+ nurses. I’m supposed to be 1:1 with patients as a labor and delivery nurse and some nights I have 3 patients.

Nurses are out for the usual regular things like maternity leave and vacation. Summer is the most popular time to take vacation and we have multiple nurses on vacation on the same weeks. We also have nurses out for being “exposed” to covid or claiming to be symptomatic. The nurses that are getting sick with covid are the ones who are vaccinated. I don’t know if they are just taking advantage of their paid covid time or actually sick. So to put it in perspective we’re working at 30% of our usual staffing which I imagine is what is also happening in the ICU, ED and other parts of the hospital for the same reason the staffing on my floor is so bad.

re: delta variant. There is no way to tell if a condo + patient has the delta variant. My coworkers and I were discussing this last night and wondering how the media was getting delta variant infection numbers if we as HCP did not even have that information in a patients chart. Since the start of all of this, covid test we use is exactly the same as is the way it appears to be reported with no indication for variant type.

Last edited:
I’m a labor and delivery nurse. I have been working in a hospital since the beginning of the pandemic. I’ve never seen a sick covid + mom. Never seen a sick baby either. Its like covid isn’t real on our unit.

What I have seen is a patient come in for a miscarriage at 18 weeks, 3 days after her second shot. We rarely get miscarriage patients since most of them happen in the first trimester at home.

The huge push for the vaccine in pregnancy according to the CDC is that it is supposed to prevent the risk of premature delivery in moms who do get sick with covid. Ironically we had a 28 week pregnant patient come in and deliver. She went into a labor a few days after her second shot.

I have seen an uptick of patients testing positive for RSV and parainfluenza the past few weeks. They are all asymptomatic as well. I believe when they run the covid swab the lab also does a viral panel for all the other common viruses.

regarding staffing we have been working 3-5 nurses a night since June. Normal staffing is supposed to be 9+ nurses. I’m supposed to be 1:1 with patients as a labor and delivery nurse and some nights I have 3 patients.

Nurses are out for the usual regular things like maternity leave and vacation. Summer is the most popular time to take vacation and we have multiple nurses on vacation on the same weeks. We also have nurses out for being “exposed” to covid or claiming to be symptomatic. The nurses that are getting sick with covid are the ones who are vaccinated. I don’t know if they are just taking advantage of their paid covid time or actually sick. So to put it in perspective we’re working at 30% of our usual staffing which I imagine is what is also happening in the ICU, ED and other parts of the hospital for the same reason the staffing on my floor is so bad.

re: delta variant. There is no way to tell if a condo + patient has the delta variant. My coworkers and I were discussing this last night and wondering how the media was getting delta variant infection numbers if we as HCP did not even have that information in a patients chart. Since the start of all of this, covid test we use is exactly the same as is the way it appears to be reported with no indication for variant type.
Very helpful. Thank you.

David PS

This is informative. thank you for taking the time to post it.

Rafe

The IHME Institute for Health Metrics & Evaluation U of Washington has been the main source of epidemiological projections since early 2020. It’s not the only source. There are also projections coming out of Los Alamos Labs, which is the location of the building of the first atomic bomb in the 1940s.

Here’s a link to the main IHME page. You can listen to audio summaries or go to the regional & global reports.

If you look at these reports you see that epidemiology does what it is supposed to do, project the possibilities for disease spread given different variables.

But if you take these as what will happen rather than what could happen then you’ve departed the empirical road.

If you take these as what should happen for a particular cultural effect then you no longer have science, you have politics.

Here’s the main page:

Here’s the policy briefings list by region:

Here’s the policy briefing for the US for week of Aug 5th. It tells us how the numbers are expected to move through the next few weeks, fall months & through December. Interestingly, it projects a peak in September, then lower numbers through the end of the year. Interesting now that COVID media coverage has for a few days shown up 3rd or 4th after Afghanistan, Haiti, climate change, & gun violence on goggle news.

I used to think that people who talked about simulations were being extreme. But if you read this report it could make a rational person wonder.

The variant would be too expensive to sequence for any significant number of cases. So between projections & empirical reality is media reporting. It’s how a rationalized reality is made for a general public.

Thank you for those personal reports above. Wishing you all good regards & a saner day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals