ICU Sepsis — help!

My family is in icu for sepsis - they keep checking for infection / recurrent cancer as the cause -with no success— everything returning negative. I believe it is metabolic in origin. What specific tests can I ask for to check for metabolic dysfunction?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
They usually use Lactic Acid values to help determine sepsis even if there are no positive bacterial cultures. Often blood cultures are collected but do not grow anything because the actual organism isn't in high enough quantities in the blood collected or the blood draws volumes were not sufficient. Did the person receive any of the so called vaccines? We had a friend who succumbed to "multi-system infection" per the hospital treating her several months after her shots.

OP
H
They usually use Lactic Acid values to help determine sepsis even if there are no positive bacterial cultures. Often blood cultures are collected but do not grow anything because the actual organism isn't in high enough quantities in the blood collected or the blood draws volumes were not sufficient. Did the person receive any of the so called vaccines? We had a friend who succumbed to "multi-system infection" per the hospital treating her several months after her shots.
Lactic acid/ Procalcitonin is High. Thank you for the insight— they always give it a 7-10 days to grow and haven’t seen anything. It didn’t occur to me that there wouldn’t be enough organism in the sample.
No vax.
He keeps getting hospitalized for this, but no one has determined the cause yet. I was wondering what tests would show mitochondrial dysfunction or a problem with glucose metabolism where excess lactate would be produced instead of oxidative phosphorylation/ Co2 production. Another member mentioned ceruloplasmin/serum copper so we have asked for that so far.
He’s also retaining co2 per abg results, so he is intubated.

aliml

I believe it is metabolic in origin. What specific tests can I ask for to check for metabolic dysfunction?

Pyruvate dehydrogenase complex deficiency (PDCD)!

Last edited:

Lurker

Perhaps aspirin could help.

LeeLemonoil

Pyruvate dehydrogenase complex deficiency (PDCD)!

Definitely to be considered especially when it is recurring regularly.

@aliml good call

From the publication:

. A group of drugs that target PDHC activation, including dichloroacetate (DCA), thiamine, amrinone, ciprofloxacin, and TNF-binding protein (TNFbp), have been shown to ameliorate the symptoms of sepsis

Last edited:

Korven

IV vitamin C and thiamine could be something to consider.

Sepsis is the body’s overwhelming and life-threatening response to infection that can lead to tissue damage, organ failure, and death. In other words, it’s your body’s overactive and toxic response to an infection. Like strokes or heart attacks, sepsis is a medical emergency that requires rapid diagnosis and treatment. Sepsis can lead to severe sepsis and septic shock.

You may have heard the term “blood poisoning” used instead of sepsis. Blood poisoning is not an accurate description of sepsis. You can learn more about sepsis and blood poisoning here.

Your immune system usually works to fight any germs (bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites) to prevent infection. If an infection does occur, your immune system will try to fight it, although you may need help with medication such as antibiotics, antivirals, antifungals, and antiparasitics. However, for reasons researchers don’t understand, sometimes the immune system stops fighting the “invaders,” and begins to turn on itself. This is the start of sepsis.

Some people are at higher risk of developing sepsis because they are at higher risk of contracting an infection. These include the very young (infants), the very old, those with chronic illnesses, and those with a weakened or impaired immune system.”

Last edited:
My husband died from sepsis 6 weeks ago. His was bacterial.

I’m so very sorry.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
My husband died from sepsis 6 weeks ago. His was bacterial.

Oh my goodness - I am so sorry to hear that. Prayers for you and your family. I always enjoy your posts.

My family is in icu for sepsis - they keep checking for infection / recurrent cancer as the cause -with no success— everything returning negative. I believe it is metabolic in origin. What specific tests can I ask for to check for metabolic dysfunction?
I just rememberd it was your father dealing with stuff a month ago! Is it he who sepsis?

-Luke-

@Rinse & rePeat: I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you and your family a lot of strength.

“For medical professionals​

• Sepsis treatment protocol​

Vitamin C: 1.5 g IV q 6 hourly for 4 days or until discharge from the ICU.
    Hydrocortisone: 50mg IV q 6 hourly for 4 days or until discharge from the ICU. Taper is not required.
    Thiamine: 200mg IV q 12 hourly for 4 days or until discharge from the ICU. Alternative dosing: 100mg IV q 6 hourly for 4 days.

Read the entire Marik sepsis protocol”

3apples555

@Rinse & rePeat: I just now read your other post, I am SO sorry for your loss. You contribute so much to everyone's experience via this forum, I have learned so much from you and cherish your recipes. My deepest condolences and stay strong. ♥

LeeLemonoil

“For medical professionals​

• Sepsis treatment protocol​

Vitamin C: 1.5 g IV q 6 hourly for 4 days or until discharge from the ICU.
    Hydrocortisone: 50mg IV q 6 hourly for 4 days or until discharge from the ICU. Taper is not required.
    Thiamine: 200mg IV q 12 hourly for 4 days or until discharge from the ICU. Alternative dosing: 100mg IV q 6 hourly for 4 days.

Read the entire Marik sepsis protocol”

This protocols success hasn’t been replicated unfortunately despite many practitioners giving it a try.

Also, OP knows what Sepsis is but he might be confronted with a non-microbiologicaly caused phenomenon that shares mechanisms with sepsis but really isn’t. But a sort of lactate-poisoning because of impaired enzyme-complexes

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
If the person's immune system isn't as good as it should be and depending on the type and location of the cancer there may be osteomyelitis or something like a slow leak into the blood stream. Does the person complain of pain in a specific location? That is often the source even if it can't be seen on x-rays, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals