Iced Tea

leo

Would iced tea work in the same way as coffee/coke to supress iron with a meal?

thanks

J

j.

I think so, even more, but if I recall correctly, it has some estrogenic effects.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
And tea is naturally high in fluoride IIRC.

pboy

yea its really high in tannins and salycilates...so it would definitely bind out iron, but its more irritating than coffee or cocoa as well

jyb

Not sure if its as effective as coffee since its lower in caffeine, though some teas have a non trivial amount of caffeine.

angelasscott

I take ice tea once a day because it has many benefits like it is rich in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants that keep a check on calories consumed during the day.

OP
L

leo

jyb: I understand that it is not the caffeine in the coffee that blocks iron absortion. It's something else, so that issue probably wouldn't matter.

OP
L

leo

Charlie:;; isn't coffee high in fluoride as well?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Not nearly as much from what I gather. They say tea has more fluoride then tap water.

pboy

its actually the tannins and polyphenols that block mineral absorption (iron), not the caffeine...alkaloids generally have a small or no affect, they even get absorbed through the stomach and under the tongue...but almost every 'antioxidant' food, anything that has tannins and polyphenols, will play a part in making more difficult the absorbtion of minerals, and even macronutrients

Mastemah

It's the polyphenols in coffee and cocoa that blocks iron. The tea plants are natural sinks for fluoride (more so than coffees and the roasting of coffee can reduce the fluoride ).

southcesar

I drink iced mate tea almost every day, I don't know if it's estrogenic or anything that makes it bad. However I feel that it refreshes much more than water or milk. would anyone know if yerba mate has something bad from a peaty perspective?