Inclined Bed Therapy - Sleeping With The Head End Of The Bed Elevated

denise

About a month ago I got my husband to agree to try this, but he's been complaining recently about sliding down the bed at night. I'm afraid this will end up being a deal breaker for him (for some reason, I barely slide at all, so it's no bother to me). Does anyone have any suggestions?

About a month ago I got my husband to agree to try this, but he's been complaining recently about sliding down the bed at night. I'm afraid this will end up being a deal breaker for him (for some reason, I barely slide at all, so it's no bother to me). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wrap a duvet around the mattress, a blanket will do also, place bottom sheet over it.

Elephanto

I wonder if this was also a way to keep us safe by enabling us to be more alert while sleeping. This would mean that the brain is kept active during sleep on an incline, enabling us to retain our ability to hear noises and react from slumber. When we first tilted our bed back in 94, this was one of the first observations. We were more easily awakened due to sleeping lighter and more alert and responsive on awakening.

Wouldn't this be a negative factor in the health-promoting/restoring effects of sleep ? I wonder if that would disrupt our ability to reach a state of delta brain waves (slow-wave sleep) which requires complete relaxation (can be attained through meditation for instance). It has an array of restorative and pro-cognitive effects.

I've started the inclination a week ago with a block of 3.5 inches, and I've had no problem having deep sleep, I've never woke up during the night and I didn't dream much either which I find gives me the most restorative nights. But now I'm wondering if the increased alertness will happen if I add another block.

Elephanto said:
I've started the inclination a week ago with a block of 3.5 inches, and I've had no problem having deep sleep, I've never woke up during the night and I didn't dream much either which I find gives me the most restorative nights. But now I'm wondering if the increased alertness will happen if I add another block.

We also find getting back to sleep is less of a problem. Best way to determine this is to raise your bed a little higher for a few weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

Elephanto

We also find getting back to sleep is less of a problem. Best way to determine this is to raise your bed a little higher for a few weeks

I just got another pair of the same blocks today so I'll try with double my current height, and if I find it negatively affects sleep I'll try to find a compromise inbetween.

In your experience, does it really take a 5 degree angle to get most benefits or can it be just as effective with a little less inclination for some people ?

[QUOTE="Elephanto,
In your experience, does it really take a 5 degree angle to get most benefits or can it be just as effective with a little less inclination for some people ?[/QUOTE]

It's ok to go slightly lower, I guess finding your own comfort zone is good, though a five degree angle does appear to hit the nail on the head.

The Trouble with Bed

Sitting for hours helps you push up the flowers
Time spent flat in bed, we should all dread
Hours spent in cars is like flying to Mars
Tight clothes and socks leads to blood clots
Infections spread when we are tucked up in bed
Morning eyes are swollen and sensation is stolen
Blood sugar rises as bed seals diabetics demises
Muscles weaken before we awaken to surprises
The heart beats harder and faster at night
Breathing in bed is laboured and tight
Occasionally stopping giving partners a fright
Cold hands and feet for hours at night
Snoring out warnings that all is not right
Veins become swollen with fluid seeping out
Limbs swell with oedema and ulcers are rife
As we get older bed governs our life
Digestive disorders as food moves more slowly
Toxins build up as kidneys barely function
Bowels compacted with food undigested
Waking up bloated and feeling poorly rested
Insomniacs awareness that beds are not safe
Pressure sores weeping as skin starts to chafe
Sweating profusely our bodies overheat
Depression and memory and thoughts of defeat
Morning or night-time paralysis interrupting our slumber
Trips to the bathroom, too many to number
Balance problems on rising and room spinning round
Why does this happen when we sleep so sound
Yet we are advised by Doctors to take to our bed
Saying the evidence is clear it is all in our head
But sleeping disorders speak volumes instead
That the evidence is clear it is all in our bed!
Andrew K Fletcher 04/09/17
Are you suffering from Flat Bed Syndrome?
http://inclinedbedtherapy.com Winning for free!

Birdie

I used to sleep well on my stomach years ago, but now my neck won't allow it. I'd love to know how you have managed to use pillows etc to get your neck and shoulders in a neutral position for lying on your stomach.

If you are experimenting and wanting to try out the higher incline before commiting a lot of resources to an elegant and permanaet solution, I found a combination of a big concrete block under each leg at the head end, and a big old book or magazine to protect the floor from the rough block, served quite well. If you are bouncing around on the bed a lot, you might want to check from time to time that the legs don't work their way off the blocks and give you a surprise drop. :)

Hi Tara. I don't know if I answered back then. Am just now re-reading here. I'm not sure how to explain my pillow setup. I use a down standard sized main pillow. Not too big seems to work for that one. Then, a smaller, boudoir one, also down. That one goes kinda under the arm on the side my head turns to. Reallymore to support that shoulder. I use another setup for the hip that's on the opposite side of the head turn. .... But it would depend on what hurts when you sleep on your stomach. For me it would be the neck and shoulder that would hurt if I didn't support them.

Well, maybe when I read further in the thread I'll see that I did respond! But I'll forget to respond if I keep reading ahead, so this might be a repeat. anyway, cheers!

bedincline.gif

tara

Hi Tara. I don't know if I answered back then. Am just now re-reading here. I'm not sure how to explain my pillow setup. I use a down standard sized main pillow. Not too big seems to work for that one. Then, a smaller, boudoir one, also down. That one goes kinda under the arm on the side my head turns to.
Thanks Birdie. Still trying to picture it. Is this what you mean: lying on your stomach, main pillow under your head, with your head turned somewhat to one side, and a pillow under the arm/shoulder on that side to raise it a bit to reduce the twist on the neck?

moss

Decided to get in on the act act well.
For my bed mechanics;
I changed the wheels castors over to glides (you need the correct thread size) - 6 " x 3, 4" x 3 and 2 " x 3 (9 glides in total for a queen size) respectively.
Easy set up and works well. The existing bed skirt hides the tilt of the bed.
Total cost $45.
Sleeping soundly and if I wake during the night I get back to sleep quickly like others have reported. I wake up fresher and feel more alert. Initial aches and pains have dissipated.
Taken photos of a couple of scars and finger nails and will be interested to see if there is any change in a few months. Nothing negative to report thus far.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 17

yerrag

After 2 or so weeks at full inclined sleep, I can't really say there was improvement. I definitely sleep less hours. Where I used to sleep 7 hours, I find it hard to do so without forcibly making myself sleep one more hour. Six hours seem to be the new normal for me now. Yet, I am dismayed to to see my sleep app showing me having no REM sleep, around 50% deep sleep, and 50% light sleep. Sometimes, light sleep is at 75%. Yet I don't really feel much more sleepy during the day. If I felt sleepy, it has more to do with lowered blood sugar due to skipping a meal.

My waking heart rate and oxygen saturation stays the same as well. This doesn't speak bad of IBT though as I think my condition simply limits my heart rate to protect me from excess oxidative activities, to minimize generation of ROS (reactive oxygen species).

I have to observe my cats more, as I failed to do that, as far as where they face. I sleep with my head in the northern direction.

Early days yet, but the absence of rem sleep is certainly interesting. I first noticed this while watching my wife sleeping inclined. It's great to have it confirmed.
Interesting also about you needing less sleep and not feeling fatigued. Not bad for a couple of weeks imo.
Can you check your heart rate and respiration rate while sleeping and compare to sleeping flat?

Thank you

Thank you for the illustration. Is the wood plank under the head of the frame twice the height of the one under the middle of the frame? So if I got a 6" height plank for the head I would need a 3" for the middle?
These are blocks of wood placed under the frame, not the wheels. The wheels are removed from the bottom of the bed to prevent it slipping. 6" at the head end 3" in the middle.

Fractality

These are blocks of wood placed under the frame, not the wheels. The wheels are removed from the bottom of the bed to prevent it slipping. 6" at the head end 3" in the middle.

Cool, thanks! What are the other required dimensions of the blocks, width/length?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals