IBS! Please Help!

Evic677

I am a 24 yr. old woman, I am obese <I didnt always struggle with weight issues>. In early 2015 I took 2 x 10 day courses of amoxican (antibotic) with 3/4 months in between, a few months later I developed Hashimotos and started gaining weight rapidly.

I developed IBS in the summer 2015 after the second round and it never went away. I also developed a histamine intolerence, which has gotten a bit better.

I discovered Ray Peat and implenmented his use of OJ, cheese, red meat, coconut oil/butter, Liver, carrots, and Gelatin. I dont do it 100% of the time but the carrots,Oj, and pufa elimination I do 100%. I try to incorporate the other stuff as best as I can.

My IBS is flaring up and my gut is so distended and my lower back hurts and I have GERD like crazy when Im sitting down. What will make this go away? What causes IBS? I take levorthryoxine and my numbers are a little high, but closer to normal ranges. How can I make the bloating go away. Also I should get my period in 10/11 days

Pleaseee helppp me!

Dante

My IBS which was caused by 3 months dosage of doxycycline prescribed for acne was mostly solved by a bifidobacteria based probiotic VSL#3 though I have heard that probiotics can be bad in case of hashimoto. Not recommending anything just telling my story :)

raypeatclips

Have you tried searching the forum for the term IBS? Serotonin is largely involved with it. When i tried to go "fibre free" My gut and IBS was at its worst. Daily mushrooms and carrot are hugely beneficial. Bell peppers, onions, potatoes and garlic i consume almost daily and can help. Anti serotonin drugs like cyproheptadine are my fall back option when things get really bad.

OP
Evic677

Evic677

I take Asprin every couple of days to help with Serotonin and I eat carrots, do you cook your mushrooms?

sele

@Evic677
Hashimoto's is usually estrogen overload.
Levothyroxine (T4) makes things worse for women with high estrogen.
Vitamin K can run low after using antibiotics.
Cyproheptadine helped me with IBS.
If a food is not tolerated by your body it can also cause GI inflammation: IBS.
I always make a list of suspect foods for myself.
Coconut oil can cause GI distress for many.
BTW, are you on birth control pills?

OP
Evic677

Evic677

Does anyone know what Ray peat says about IBS? Like what causes it?

OP
Evic677

Evic677

@Evic677
Hashimoto's is usually estrogen overload.
Levothyroxine (T4) makes things worse for women with high estrogen.
Vitamin K can run low after using antibiotics.
Cyproheptadine helped me with IBS.
If a food is not tolerated by your body it can also cause GI inflammation: IBS.
I always make a list of suspect foods for myself.
Coconut oil can cause GI distress for many.
BTW, are you on birth control pills?

So how do I make my estrogen normal? I work out as much as I can, I have been trying to lose weight b/c fat can be a source of estrogen. i emailed Ray Peat, he said T4 was fine and could help shrink my enlarged thyroid.

OP
Evic677

Evic677

So how do I make my estrogen normal? I work out as much as I can, I have been trying to lose weight b/c fat can be a source of estrogen. i emailed Ray Peat, he said T4 was fine and could help shrink my enlarged thyroid.

Also, I eat sweet potatoes like alot and fenugeek leaves (i read they help make progestrone)

sele

Does anyone know what Ray peat says about IBS? Like what causes it?
"Irritable bowel syndrome, another kind of “movement disorder,” can be treated effectively with anti-serotonin agents. This syndrome is very common in women, with premenstrual exacerbations, when estrogen is highest." -Ray Peat

LucH

Hi,
I would read "The End of Pain", from Dr Jacqueline Lagacée.
Go to the side of the Dr Jacqueline Lagacee, Canadian immunologist (French). IBS is a disease of elimination. 98% success rate for this type of pathology (colitis) by Jean Seignalet.
Vaincre la douleur par l'alimentation
Hope it will help.
Luc

sele

Working out as much as you can is enough to increase estrogen.
It not only important to do things to detoxify estrogen but also to stop its production.
You are doing great by taking aspirin and carrots.

"An excess of thyroxine, in a tissue that doesn't convert it rapidly to T3, has an antithyroid action. (See Goumaz, et al, 1987.) This happens in many women who are given thyroxine; as their dose is increased, their symptoms get worse." - Ray Peat

Nokoni

So wait serotonin inhibitors clear up IBS?
Yes, they do for me. Cyproheptadine has made all the difference. Within just a few days the problem was gone.

Most of the serotonin in the body is in the gut (>90%?). It induces gut contractions to keep things moving through. If the gut gets irritated it releases extra serotonin, causing more rapid movement, and often diarrhea. The purpose is to get irritants, which may be toxic, out of the body more quickly. But if the gut becomes inflamed, there may be chronic irritation, and therefore chronic excess serotonin, and therefore chronic diarrhea. Cyproheptadine can break the cycle.

I used Haidut's formulation, four drops per day, and the problem was resolved very quickly. I have since dropped back to one drop per day and all continues well. I suspect my gut issues are actually over, but I continue to take it just to keep systemic serotonin in check. Note also that excess serotonin often spills out of the gut and into the blood, which causes dark moods. My mood was certainly brightened as a result.

OP
Evic677

Evic677

Has anybody tried activated charcoal? As a means to help with IBS? What other things can you do besides consuming aspirin and carrots to lessen the amount of estrogen in the body. Just to clarify I don't work out to the point where I really stress my body out I just want to be in good cardiovascular shape because it helps reduce my blood pressure

Nokoni

Has anybody tried activated charcoal? As a means to help with IBS? What other things can you do besides consuming aspirin and carrots to lessen the amount of estrogen in the body. Just to clarify I don't work out to the point where I really stress my body out I just want to be in good cardiovascular shape because it helps reduce my blood pressure
Charcoal -- I tried it some years ago, but I don't remember what for exactly. I bought powder, maybe because the suggested dose would require too many capsules, but I don't remember that either. What I do remember is that the powder form is messy and difficult to take -- doesn't mix with water, hard to take off the spoon, hard to choke down. I prefer cyproheptadine. No muss, no fuss, just (almost) instant relief.

Estrogen -- Check out this thread: Cyproheptadine Is An Estrogen Antagonist, May Treat Breast Cancer. According to Haidut, who is my main guru, the answer is: cyproheptadine! Again! It may seem hard to believe but that stuff really is kind of magical. It counteracts histamine, serotonin, choline, and other stuff, including apparently estrogen, all of which are bad when elevated.

OP
Evic677

Evic677

So like you need a prescription for cyproheptadine. How do you get it?

Im always scared to try drugs/medications

Nokoni

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals