Ibs, Greying

OP
J

John Eels

@jyb
Do you think that pregnenolone has similar restoring effects applied topically as progesterone does?

jyb

John Eels said:
@jyb
Do you think that pregnenolone has similar restoring effects applied topically as progesterone does?

I don't know enough. From anecdotes on this forum (peatarian gave a few), progesterone seems useful in some special situations despite its side effect (lowering testosterone). RP's article on progesterone talks more readily about topical absorption than his paragraphs on pregnelonone, so indeed I've been asking myself that question.

jyb

Yves said:
You could also consider phelbotomy to drain the iron. I think I notice more color (blonder as opposed to brown) in my hair when eating liver, whereas seafood hasn't had as much effect.. your mileage may vary. When I supplemented with molybdenum in the past my hair became less blonde.

According to Ray's chapter on hair color:

• Take copper, don't supplement sulfur or molybdenum, iron is bad
    Progesterone, testosterone, pregnenolone are good for hair growth and maybe hair color.
    Ray restored his hair color with a low iron diet, cooking in a copper pan, and rubbing a solution of vitamin A, Vitamin E, and sometimes DHEA or a solution of copper acetate onto his gray eybrow hairs. Color was restored in a few weeks

Why doesn't RP consider phelbotomy as you suggest? It seems like such a simple solution. Are there anti-metabolic side effects of it?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Iron's Dangers
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

Ray Peat said:
For about 50 years, it has been known that blood transfusions damage immunity, and excess iron has been suspected to be one of the causes for this. People who regularly donate blood, on the other hand, have often been found to be healthier than non-donors, and healthier than they were before they began donating.

Ray Peat said:
Q. Don't women need extra iron?

That's a misunderstanding.

Doctors generally don't realize that only a few milligrams of iron are lost each day in menstruation. The real issue is that you can hardly avoid getting iron, even when you try.

Women absorb iron much more efficiently than men do. From a similar meal, women will normally absorb three times as much iron as men do. When pregnant, their higher estrogen levels cause them to absorb about nine times as much as men. Every time a woman menstruates, she loses a little iron, so that by the age of 50 she is likely to have less iron stored in her tissues than a man does at the same age, but by the age of 65 women generally have as much excess iron in their tissues as men do. (During those 15 years, women seem to store iron at a faster rate than men do, probably because they have more estrogen.) At this age their risk of dying from a heart attack is the same as that of men. Some women who menstruate can donate blood regularly without showing any tendency to become anemic.

mmartian

I emailed Dr. Peat about restoring color to my graying hair a few days ago. This was his response:

Ray Peat said:
Do you know how your thyroid function is? Thyroid regulates copper assimilation, and also the hormones that regulate pigment.

I found that applying a weak solution of copper just once would restore color immediately to eyebrows, or to about 10% of sideburn hairs, apparently because the very long-lived hairs have to be in the right phase of growth, and eyebrows, with a very short life, seem to stay receptive to the stimulation. But I also found that a slightly too strong solution could cause a mole to develop almost instantly, with an invasion of pigment cells. I think a safer alternative would be to supplement, either topically or orally, a little DHEA.

I've ordered some DHEA, and plan to begin experimenting with small doses soon. Any suggestions?

OP
J

John Eels

Have you ordered DHEA for topical or oral application? And if I wanted to try the copper solution which RP says is riskier where would I get quality copper to buy?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom