I wrote an article on the subject of white rice vs brown rice.

RyanHeeney

I know starches can be a bit controversial here, but I felt discussing the differences between white rice and brown rice to be a good opportunity to talk about some things that are severely misunderstood in the mainstream health world. You can find that article here: White Rice or Brown Rice? — Ryan Heeney

giacomo

This is really well written. Enjoyable for someone like me moderately well versed in this school of thought as well as being a really good introduction to these ideas for people who have never heard them before. Have forwarded this article to a few family members.

Where you say “Some micronutrients he touted as healthy are actually quite anti-metabolic which I would not recommend consuming (like beta carotene, a precursor of retinol). In my opinion, getting retinol directly is much more metabolically friendly. Perhaps these types of misconceptions can be an article of their own in the future.”

Does this mean you think the raw carrot might not be helpful? I’d be interested in an article on misconceptions

Awellness

Enjoyed your article! Well written and a great reminder of the many nuances of nutrient and anti nutrient potential in food.

OP
RyanHeeney

RyanHeeney

This is really well written. Enjoyable for someone like me moderately well versed in this school of thought as well as being a really good introduction to these ideas for people who have never heard them before. Have forwarded this article to a few family members.

Where you say “Some micronutrients he touted as healthy are actually quite anti-metabolic which I would not recommend consuming (like beta carotene, a precursor of retinol). In my opinion, getting retinol directly is much more metabolically friendly. Perhaps these types of misconceptions can be an article of their own in the future.”

Does this mean you think the raw carrot might not be helpful? I’d be interested in an article on misconceptions
That’s a really great question! And you’re definitely right about beta carotene and retinol. Since most of the carrot fiber doesn’t break down much (if at all) in the intestine there isn’t much beta carotene that’s actually released and absorbed by the body. Some people actually go as far as rinsing the extra beta carotene after the carrot is shredded which could definitely be beneficial. So the carrot salad is still definitely a great idea in my opinion! But yes I agree that’s a great subject for a future article.

But thank you very much for the kind words, they really mean a lot. I hope your family enjoys the article as well!

Regina

I know starches can be a bit controversial here, but I felt discussing the differences between white rice and brown rice to be a good opportunity to talk about some things that are severely misunderstood in the mainstream health world. You can find that article here: White Rice or Brown Rice? — Ryan Heeney
Great article! I'm sending it along to my brother in law who always chooses brown rice for health reasons. :facepalm:
Cashews! Who knew they looked like that.

OP
RyanHeeney

RyanHeeney

Great article! I'm sending it along to my brother in law who always chooses brown rice for health reasons. :facepalm:
Cashews! Who knew they looked like that.
Thank you very much for the nice comment! And I know right? Who knew cashews were so much different in their whole natural form. Thanks again for the read and I hope your brother finds some use in it as well.

Amazoniac

Check this out:

- Effects of rice-based and wheat-based diets on bowel movements in young Korean women with functional constipation

Abstract said:
Although several studies have reported the effects that dietary fiber intake from different types of grains and fiber components have on bowel movements, insufficient attention has been paid to comparing and evaluating the effects of rice-based and wheat-based diets. This study compared and evaluated the effects of ingesting rice-based (brown rice-based diet: BRD; white rice-based diet: WRD) and wheat-based diet (WD) on the bowel movements of young women with functional constipation. Based on an open, randomized, controlled, and parallel design, 39 subjects were assigned to BRD, WRD, and WD groups (13 in each group). Each participant had received three types of experimental diets over the course of 4 weeks and we recommended that the subjects eat only the test diet provided during the study. Primary outcomes (total colon transit time TCTT) and secondary outcomes (bowel movements, short-chain fatty acid content, and fecal enzyme activity) were compared before and after the 4-week intervention period. After the 4-week study, the rice-based diet (BRD and WRD) groups and the WD group had a statistically significant difference in TCTT (p = 0.028). The TCTT of the BRD group was significantly reduced (p = 0.028) compared with the WRD group (−16.5 ± 8.1 vs +6.8 ± 2.1), and the TCTT of the WD group was also significantly reduced (p = 0.022) compared with that of the WRD group (−17.1 ± 11.9 vs +6.8 ± 2.1). Among women with functional constipation, the BRD and WD both improved bowel function by reducing TCTT and increasing the number of bowel movements compared with the WRD group.

livesimply

Terrific article!! It's making me rethink my recent foray into more salads which I enjoy in warm weather. One question: you wrote: ..."Some micronutrients he touted as healthy are actually quite anti-metabolic which I would not recommend consuming (like beta carotene, a precursor of retinol). In my opinion, getting retinol directly is much more metabolically friendly." But Ray Peat's raw carrot recommendation does provide a lot of beta carotene. ???? p.s. I subscribed to your newsletter.

76er

Another great article. I like your choice to focus on this topic as starches
are such a popular and economical food category that would be nice to enjoy
here and there. That said, the article touches on more than just rice or
starches but instead approaching what we eat and how much by looking at the
"big picture".

OP
RyanHeeney

RyanHeeney

Terrific article!! It's making me rethink my recent foray into more salads which I enjoy in warm weather. One question: you wrote: ..."Some micronutrients he touted as healthy are actually quite anti-metabolic which I would not recommend consuming (like beta carotene, a precursor of retinol). In my opinion, getting retinol directly is much more metabolically friendly." But Ray Peat's raw carrot recommendation does provide a lot of beta carotene. ???? p.s. I subscribed to your newsletter.
Thank you so much livesimply! It's a very good question about the beta carotene but a poster just happened to ask the same one earlier in the thread, so if you don't mind I'm just going to copy and paste:

"Since most of the carrot fiber doesn’t break down much (if at all) in the intestine there isn’t much beta carotene that’s actually released and absorbed by the body. Some people actually go as far as rinsing the extra beta carotene after the carrot is shredded which could definitely be beneficial. So the carrot salad is still definitely a great idea in my opinion! But yes I agree that’s a great subject for a future article."

OP
RyanHeeney

RyanHeeney

Another great article. I like your choice to focus on this topic as starches
are such a popular and economical food category that would be nice to enjoy
here and there. That said, the article touches on more than just rice or
starches but instead approaching what we eat and how much by looking at the
"big picture".
Yep! That was the idea 76er. Take a topic that is somewhat narrow and try and tie it to the bigger picture. Thank you for the very thoughtful response.

livesimply

Thank you so much livesimply! It's a very good question about the beta carotene but a poster just happened to ask the same one earlier in the thread, so if you don't mind I'm just going to copy and paste
oh--somehow missed that so thanks! and again, I appreciate such a clear and informative article. now I'll go check out others you wrote. ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals