I Want To Try A Durian Rider Esque Diet (With Protein!)

Vegancrossfit

I think DR is by and large a crazy but one good thing he’s got for him is how he pushes massive amounts of sugar and many of his followers certainly don’t get obese drinking pop and whatnot.

I’m not someone who tracks macros much. Very lean and good muscle mass. High dopamine type. Need about 3000kcal for 200lbs.

1) sugar sources: dairy, whole fruit, smoothies
2) fat sources: included above + coconut + eggs prolly
3) protein sources: listed above + liver

Very apathetic yet aggressive right now, although that could be the COVID19 farce. Haagen Dasz has been my best friend as of late.

Gonna get me some OJ.

Last edited:

YourUniverse

I think the energetic, high-dopamine type as you self described is the best fit for such a high-carb diet. I think those types tend to be a little more adrenergic, and the carbs help soothe this (pro-thyroid).

Id say goodluck, and let us know how it goes! Itll be hard to replace fat solubles, especially A and K2 (eggs, milk, butter) but maybe if youre not super averse you can find a way to implement them too?

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

I do have high cortisol as per my last saliva test, so there’s something here.

Is 1-2% milk low in K2? A at least is added to it. Not adverse to any foods - it’s mostly an inspiration to rehabilitate sugar into my life ha. I’ve added yolks to the list. It’s essentially becoming a vegetarian durian esque plan!

Jessie

Kuinone (K2) is solvented in ethanol, and therefore fat is not needed. Also beef liver is a low-fat source of vitamin A. I think it only has like 2 grams of fat per 1/4 pound. Very lean.

Can't say I'm a fan of folks like DurianRider or Freelee but I do agree with their low-fat approaches. Keeping fat oxidation low is really the key principle to prolonged health. Unfortunately so many things in our modern world can interfere with our ability to burn glucose efficiently.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

Great inputs guys thank you both.

Some staples:
- one quart of low fat milk, one quart of OJ with collagen added to it. Both in the morning as I seldom wake up hungry for solid foods I just want sugary goodies
- Tropical fruit, from pineapple to watermelon to coconut, “tis the season
- liver, eggs probably in omelettes with thoroughly cooked leafy greens. Should be good for dinner
- Ice cream pre bed of course. Best sleeping pill ever.

J

james2388

DR has fake teeth. He is without a doubt on HRT that brings testosterone in range which according to one of his latest videos he is at the upper limit of free testosterone and towards the higher range regular test. He definitely consumes amino acid supplements. There is no way, his skin, and hair looks like that after 19 years vegan.
Be realistic here.... Everyone else in the vegan industry for men, has mostly quit. Here he is, cycling his nuts off and still manages to look exceptionally healthy..
It does not add up, not one bit..

Attakai

DR has fake teeth. He is without a doubt on HRT that brings testosterone in range which according to one of his latest videos he is at the upper limit of free testosterone and towards the higher range regular test. He definitely consumes amino acid supplements. There is no way, his skin, and hair looks like that after 19 years vegan.
Be realistic here.... Everyone else in the vegan industry for men, has mostly quit. Here he is, cycling his nuts off and still manages to look exceptionally healthy..
It does not add up, not one bit..
He has a heavy filter on in that video, his skin isn't great, but he does look healthy.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

I guess his 80/10/10 stance is too extreme anyway, plus all the cardio...

It looks like I’m hovering around 70/15/15. Walking about half an hour daily and patiently waiting for gyms to reopen.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

Not gonna spam with his videos but this one at least is very good IMO... sugar V big pharma & western doctors

Jessie

It looks like I’m hovering around 70/15/15. Walking about half an hour daily and patiently waiting for gyms to reopen.
Yeah I would think 10% protein is too low. On a 3,000 calorie diet that would only be about 75 grams of protein. I'd shoot for at least 15%, there seems to be a fine line for most people in regards to optimal protein. Not enough will result in stress, muscle catabolism, lack of hormones, etc. Too much will get converted into glucose, and then converted into fat.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

Welome to the Ray Peat forum!! ;)

TRUE lmao

with regards to protein, I go with my appetite tbh. It comes and goes. I have days where I can eat pounds and pounds of meat/fish (3+ Lbs even) and then I have weeks where I’m fine with something like 100g a day. Any more chicken or beef that day and I’ll want to puke it all. So, 15% on average it appears.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

So I’ve been tweaking and tinkering and twiddling and it appears that my best day has been on the following:

- breakfast ground meat
- pre bed ice cream
- everything in between: rice, cooked vegetables, fruit/OJ

One positive aspect of this pandemic is the capacity to eat whatever, whenever.

tankasnowgod

I think DR is by and large a crazy but one good thing he’s got for him is how he pushes massive amounts of sugar and many of his followers certainly don’t get obese drinking pop and whatnot.

That's at least in part due to the fact that they delete comments on their forum from followers who have struggled with weight gain since implementing their ideas. They are hidden, so you don't see them.

1) sugar sources: dairy, whole fruit, smoothies
2) fat sources: included above + coconut + eggs prolly
3) protein sources: listed above + liver

How is this Durian Rider-Esque? He promotes Vegan Frutarianism. There is no room in his recommendations for dairy, eggs or liver.

@Vegancrossfit Have you tried short bursts of sprinting, particularly uphill.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

That's at least in part due to the fact that they delete comments on their forum from followers who have struggled with weight gain since implementing their ideas. They are hidden, so you don't see them.

How is this Durian Rider-Esque? He promotes Vegan Frutarianism. There is no room in his recommendations for dairy, eggs or liver.

i don’t know about the hidden guys, you wanna see the glass half empty I see it half full, lots of guys shrink on all the sugar. Not what mainstream quacks say would happen.

I appreciate that you cherry picked the “esque” part of my diet. As you can see from my last post in here rice OJ and fruit (and cooked greens) are exactly what he promotes and beside my first bite in the morning + my late night snack which are imo essential to yield a well rounded diet, it’s what I’ve enjoyed the most.

tankasnowgod

I appreciate that you cherry picked the “esque” part of my diet.

I don't know why you are trying to redefine the word "vegan." It means a person who doesn't eat any animal products, period. That's what Durian Rider promotes. It's not that a lot of your diet overlaps with his, it's that you are eating things regularly that he says to NEVER eat.

Why not say you're doing a keto-carnivore-esque diet plus carbs and plants? It would have about the same meaning.

If what you really are saying is a high fruit diet plus getting adequate protein from sources like milk, eggs, liver, even beef, that's a different story. That's basically in line with what Peat recommends, and you don't have to follow a very questionable character like Durian Rider to get there.

For the record, I think the diet you're experimenting with is far better than any diet DR has recommended.

OP
V

Vegancrossfit

I don't know why you are trying to redefine the word "vegan."

geez man work on your interaction style.

I’m not trying to redefine anything.

I got inspired by his videos trashing mainstream medicine on the topic of SUGAR which to this day is far more controversial than low carb / carnivores even!

DR isn’t a raw fruitarian anymore he says it in probably both videos above and plenty all over YouTube: rice, fruit, juice, sugar. You don’t find too many dudes saying this online. Ray is close and both inspire me... Ray has written lots of (interesting) articles against starches, whereas DR is pretty straightforward with his carbthefuckup stance.

So yeah I’d rather call it DR+protein, instead of carnivore+carbs, since I’m not inspired AT ALL by the carnivore community.

Back
Top Bottom