I think I may have finally fixed my digestion

cs3000

MSM I started with tiny pinches and worked up to about a Tablespoon. All in slippery elm gel/slurry.

SF722 - 10 pills 3
Ok that's a lot ty - you use a couple grams slippery elm in warm water? I've been putting it in small amounts but stays quite powdery.
I read your post about getting sulfur through the digestive tract with it makes sense , plus slippery elm has anti-inflammatory action on colonic cells by itself I saw in a study so good combo

Started with the MSM - slippery elm & Thorne undecyn yesterday.

Check this out so I haven't gone done the fungal route for this until now. Since looking into peat stuff recently I've been drinking sugared water in the mornings 45g (more than typical).
Well my tongue typically has a film on it (which I read before can be fungal but can also can be food particles etc). Since I started more sugar I noticed the film layer increased significantly. The bloating got way worse all over. And I was like "why the **** do I feel a bit drunk/tipsy right now?" .

Then I remembered this case of a man with auto-brewery syndrome. He had fungal overgrowth, and when you feed fungus sugar it produces ethanol. This man had high blood alcohol just from the fungus in his gut. Crazy. Stopped the sugar and famotidine for now will reintroduce sugar later when gut is in better state Auto-brewery Syndrome - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

So yeah made me think the fungal angle is worth a try. I notice bile in my stool sometimes when I do go so maybe reversing fungus to yeast form / killing it, and restoring bile/ increasing stomach acid is the play.

And for ppl wondering about the undecylenate Vs SF722 if unavailable . From what I read the undecylenate form sounds good but it needs to be paired with an acid increaser and a capsule that can bypass the stomach . Maybe the Swanson version wasn't effective for the person who posted because it only contains a small amount of betaine and the capsule tech might not be good enough. Thornes version has more betaine and "time sorb" capsules so maybe better

Last edited:

Mauritio

8 months in, still pretty much symptom free. I say “pretty much,” because I still do have some bloating and fullness occasionally but it is of the “normal” variety - bloating around menstrual period, bloating after big meal etc. I can get rid of it fairly quickly with a mug of ginger or peppermint tea. This happens maybe 5-6 HOURS per month, as opposed to every single day, 24 hours a day.

I can eat all foods that I have ventured to try, including most grains. Have not tried gluten containing grains yet. I have recently started to make kefir and the experiment seems to be going well.

Everything is pretty much as it was before I got sick. Good appetite, good energy. Stools normal, once or twice a day. I am starting to have extra energy to exercise, organize the house, cook complicated meals, etc. life is amazing!

I take supplements sporadically now. I do take taurine, collagen, magnesium, thyroid, and vitamin D/K daily. Whatever was going on with me appears to be fixed. I will never know for sure but I do believe my issues were mostly caused by Candida/dysbiosis. I think for some people it can be a really big problem especially if you are low thyroid/high stress.
Very inspiring!
I have ordered MSM and will mix it with slippery elm. Have been trying the slippery elm on it's own for 1 week but dont notice much.
I also ordered sodium butyrate to help leaky gut and I'm thinking about doing a liver cleanse.

Mauritio

Are Sulfur supplements good or bad?

I'm guessing they can act in a way similar to glucaric acid .
As peat says estrogen (or other toxins) should be excreted immediately by attaching glucaric acid or sulfuric acid.

The main effect for digestion in this case seems to be tue anti fungus effect though.

So it could act in an anti-fungal and detoxing way

I dont think it's a very "peaty" supplement thoug.

PeskyPeater

I'm guessing they can act in a way similar to glucaric acid .
As peat says estrogen (or other toxins) should be excreted immediately by attaching glucaric acid or sulfuric acid.

The main effect for digestion in this case seems to be tue anti fungus effect though.

So it could act in an anti-fungal and detoxing way

I dont think it's a very "peaty" supplement thoug.
Interesting. Seems you are on track:

Despite a lack of designed studies, there is evidence MSM serves as a source of sulfate for synthesis of PAPS required for sulfation. Specifically, MSM contributes to the sulfation and detoxification of acetaminophen [29] and the sulfation of cartilage proteoglycans [30]. Moreover, MSM may substitute for and thereby spare cysteine and methionine as sulfate donors. Administration of MSM reduces the depletion of glutathione caused by exposure to toxins subject to sulfation for elimination [31], oxidative stress caused by acute exercise [32,33] and experimental colitis [34]. Another consideration is MSM is a safer source of sulfate when sulfur intake may be limiting compared with the sulfur amino acids, which are toxic at high levels of intake (upper safe limit of 21 mg/kg). Small Intestinal Absorption of Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) and Accumulation of the Sulfur Moiety in Selected Tissues of Mice
edit - comment : Only bad non peaty thing is the cysteine and methionine sparing effect, they can inhibit thyroid function.

This reminded me of Ginger root that seems to increase liver detoxification by increasing Sulta1 expression.
Pretty cool stuff:

Effect of Ginger oil and 6-gingerol on the major liver phase Ⅱ metabolizing enzymes in vivo in mice​

WANG Yong-hui,QI Jin-feng, LIN Mei,LEI Hui-min (Department of Pharmacology,College of Chinese Materia Medica,Guangzhou University of Chinese Medicine,Guangzhou 510006,China)
Objective To investigate the effect of ginger oil and 6-gingerol on liver uridine-diphosphate glucuronosyltransferases(UGT),sulfotransferase 1A1(SULT1A1) and glutathione S-transferase(GST) activities and their mRNA expressions in mice.MethodsThe mice were treated with different dosages of Ginger oil or vehicle respectively two times a day for continuous three days.The activities of UGT,SULT1A1 and GST were detected by spectrophotometry;expression of UGT1A1/SULT1A1 mRNA in liver was estimated by real-time fluorescence quantitative PCR method.ResultsCompared with control group,high-dosage(15 mg·kg-1) of Ginger oil considerably increased UGT and GST activity(P0.05 orP0.01).High and medium-dosage(15,3 mg·kg-1) of Ginger oil significantly elevated SULT1A1 activity(P0.05 or P0.01).RT-PCR results indicated that only 6-Gingerol(10 mg·kg-1) can induce the expression of UGT1A1/SULT1A1 mRNA in the liver.ConclusionIt is necessary to consider the possible influence of ginger products on the activities of the phaseⅡdrug-metabolizing enzymes.

Last edited:

Mauritio

Interesting. Seems you are on track:

edit - comment : Only bad non peaty thing is the cysteine and methionine sparing effect, they can inhibit thyroid function.

This reminded me of Ginger root that seems to increase liver detoxification by increasing Sulta1 expression.
Pretty cool stuff:
Yes the cysteine stuff is what I was thinking about.

But if it gets rid of intense digestive problems , as for @dogtrainer ,its definitely worth it.

OP
D

dogtrainer

Ok that's a lot ty - you use a couple grams slippery elm in warm water? I've been putting it in small amounts but stays quite powdery.
I read your post about getting sulfur through the digestive tract with it makes sense , plus slippery elm has anti-inflammatory action on colonic cells by itself I saw in a study so good combo

Started with the MSM - slippery elm & Thorne undecyn yesterday.

Check this out so I haven't gone done the fungal route for this until now. Since looking into peat stuff recently I've been drinking sugared water in the mornings 45g (more than typical).
Well my tongue typically has a film on it (which I read before can be fungal but can also can be food particles etc). Since I started more sugar I noticed the film layer increased significantly. The bloating got way worse all over. And I was like "why the **** do I feel a bit drunk/tipsy right now?" .

Then I remembered this case of a man with auto-brewery syndrome. He had fungal overgrowth, and when you feed fungus sugar it produces ethanol. This man had high blood alcohol just from the fungus in his gut. Crazy. Stopped the sugar and famotidine for now will reintroduce sugar later when gut is in better state Auto-brewery Syndrome - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

So yeah made me think the fungal angle is worth a try. I notice bile in my stool sometimes when I do go so maybe reversing fungus to yeast form / killing it, and restoring bile/ increasing stomach acid is the play.

And for ppl wondering about the undecylenate Vs SF722 if unavailable . From what I read the undecylenate form sounds good but it needs to be paired with an acid increaser and a capsule that can bypass the stomach . Maybe the Swanson version wasn't effective for the person who posted because it only contains a small amount of betaine and the capsule tech might not be good enough. Thornes version has more betaine and "time sorb" capsules so maybe better
One thing that caused me to really raise my eyebrow is whenever I would eat plain sugar, like those Absorb Plus shakes made for people with compromised digestion, I would get way bloated & start burping, like immediately. Supposedly quick digesting carbs should be a godsend for those with SIBO.

I don’t think I had SIBO, lol. I think I had a fungal overgrowth.

PeskyPeater

One thing that caused me to really raise my eyebrow is whenever I would eat plain sugar, like those Absorb Plus shakes made for people with compromised digestion, I would get way bloated & start burping, like immediately. Supposedly quick digesting carbs should be a godsend for those with SIBO.

I don’t think I had SIBO, lol. I think I had a fungal overgrowth.
Aha, makes sense as to why it started to increase symptoms when you stopped eating with the intermittent fasting.
Did you also have skin or toe nail fungus?

OP
D

dogtrainer

Aha, makes sense as to why it started to increase symptoms when you stopped eating with the intermittent fasting.
Did you also have skin or toe nail fungus?
No, but I’ve had a consistently coated white tongue basically my whole life.

cs3000

heads up I've tried 2 different brands of slippery elm and neither of them form gels only powder. nature's way and health4all which is usually a good one

I think it might be the magnesium stearate / cellulose? maybe needs to be pure powder

That or old batches don't form the gel as I read in a review, when they got a replacement it did

Last edited:

cs3000

Tried 3 different brands now this one just pure powder, and this one does not form a gel either (clumps together, pretty sure these batches that stay as rough particles would make gut issues worse). There's some serious fuckery going on with UK batches atm & looking at reviews for elm products all over they've been ***t all year. I think slippery elm might be responsible for the appetite restoring part of the combo

Marshmallow root should be something that can replace it at least in terms of a carrier for sulfur (also produces mucilage with water). + Has anti ulcer anti inflammatory pro gut cell healing properties

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874109006102?via=ihub "The clinical proven effects are related to the presence of bioadhesive and mucilaginous polysaccharides from the rhamnogalacturonan type, leading to the physical formation of mucin-like on top of the irritated tissues."
"Significant anti-inflammatory (acute and chronic inflammation) and antiulcerogenic activities were observed at all used doses (50, 100, and 250 mg/kg body)"

Last edited:

Ben.

Tried 3 different brands now this one just pure powder, and this one does not form a gel either (clumps together, pretty sure these batches that stay as rough particles would make gut issues worse). There's some serious fuckery going on with UK batches atm & looking at reviews for elm products all over they've been ***t all year. I think slippery elm might be responsible for the appetite restoring part of the combo

Marshmallow root should be something that can replace it at least in terms of a carrier for sulfur (also produces mucilage with water). + Has anti ulcer anti inflammatory pro gut cell healing properties

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874109006102?via=ihub "The clinical proven effects are related to the presence of bioadhesive and mucilaginous polysaccharides from the rhamnogalacturonan type, leading to the physical formation of mucin-like on top of the irritated tissues."
"Significant anti-inflammatory (acute and chronic inflammation) and antiulcerogenic activities were observed at all used doses (50, 100, and 250 mg/kg body)"

I noticed that it needs to sit in the water for a quite a while to form a gel.

Vileplume

Extremely inspiring.

Is your tongue always clear now?

My tongue has been perpetually coated for years. The tongue coatedness correlates nearly exactly with emotional, mental, energetic symptoms.

Mauritio

Candida adapts to sulfur.

I'm not sure if MSM causes reactive sulfur species though .

Mauritio

heads up I've tried 2 different brands of slippery elm and neither of them form gels only powder. nature's way and health4all which is usually a good one

I think it might be the magnesium stearate / cellulose? maybe needs to be pure powder

That or old batches don't form the gel as I read in a review, when they got a replacement it did
Slippery elm has compounds that are water soluble and some that arent.
So some of it should dissolve with stirring, but don't expect it to completely dissolve.

I found msm and slippery elm are easier to dissolve in carbonated water. I use NOWs brand which has magnesium stearate and cellulose in it.

And what I understood from dogtrainers posts is that the amount of water used is minimal, as it's supposed to form a gel or paste like substance.

"Slippery elm contains soluble fiber, which is a fiber that dissolves in liquid. The soluble fiber found in slippery elm is called mucilage . Mucilage traps and absorbs water, forming a gel-like substance. This substance is a demulcent , which means it forms a coating over mucous membranes."

"When taken internally, slippery elm bark powder can be mixed into water or juice. It should thicken the liquid, but as it is fibrous it cannot be expected to completely dissolve."

cs3000

Hmm the video I watched of someone making it turned into gel pretty quick within 10 minutes, but the first 2 stayed as watery powder. i left the 3rd to sit there longer and it stayed as watery clumps

this guy 8 mins
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHcjILjwQaE#t=8m
& he also mentions the same thing about trying different brands without the same texture

(maybe they would have worked if left for hours tho idk - apparently with marshmallow root at least it takes hours:

extraction process 100g powder = 800ml cold water , left to sit for 5 hours , then filter out the root and keep the leftover liquid)

Last edited:
OP
D

dogtrainer

Extremely inspiring.

Is your tongue always clear now?

My tongue has been perpetually coated for years. The tongue coatedness correlates nearly exactly with emotional, mental, energetic symptoms.
Yes it’s always clear.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals