I think I just ruined my thyroid forever with Iodine.

Deborah888

All I did was take something (Boswellia) that increases the uptake of iodine and have been struggling for months with thyroid eye disease symptoms. Every time I get even a little iodine in me my eyes hurt. Bugleweed is finally helping. I read that my symptoms are due to the opposite of wolf-chaikov. It's called jod-basedow and happens in iodine-deficient people with goiter (me). Deficiency I guess can create ultra-sensitivity. So I NEED iodine but my eyes hurt (and I get other hyper symptoms but not too bad) every time I eat seafood or iodized salt. So annoying. But like I said Bugleweed is the only thing that helps. I'm also purposely using potassium iodide here and there since I'm deficient, then suffering later. Lol. I'm stuck in a weird loop. Anyway, I know my experience is only anecdotal nor even what you are experiencing, but I just think messing with iodine can be harmful for some of us.

Cloudhands

I have 200mcg selenomethionine capsules with me when I supplement with iodine. Reactions to iodine vary from one individual to another.

In checking my temperature, I get an idea whether the iodine supplementation is having an unfavorable effect. I would take a capsule of selenomethionine to correct for that. It seems too much hydrogen peroxide is being produced as a result by the thyroid gland and selenomerhionine dials that back down.

One capsule is enough.
Glad to see someone beat me to it. Selenium is protective in the presence of high iodine intake.

OP
antiqua

antiqua

Btw everyone I was taking 200mg selenium with the iodine every day. After my scare I’ve taken double just to be safe.

redsun

All I did was take something (Boswellia) that increases the uptake of iodine and have been struggling for months with thyroid eye disease symptoms. Every time I get even a little iodine in me my eyes hurt. Bugleweed is finally helping. I read that my symptoms are due to the opposite of wolf-chaikov. It's called jod-basedow and happens in iodine-deficient people with goiter (me). Deficiency I guess can create ultra-sensitivity. So I NEED iodine but my eyes hurt (and I get other hyper symptoms but not too bad) every time I eat seafood or iodized salt. So annoying. But like I said Bugleweed is the only thing that helps. I'm also purposely using potassium iodide here and there since I'm deficient, then suffering later. Lol. I'm stuck in a weird loop. Anyway, I know my experience is only anecdotal nor even what you are experiencing, but I just think messing with iodine can be harmful for some of us.
You should still be able to tolerate around 100 mcg of iodine a day. This would be just enough to produce normal amounts of thyroid hormone without making you overproduce thyroid hormone. You just need to keep track of how much iodine you get from food and supplements.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
I take that much iodine iodide all the time and don’t have problems. I use it more randomly like a strong anti biotic. Maybe once a week.
Freezing cold hands and feet is stressed cortisol adrenaline. Have some coffee with milk and sugar or food!
☕

AlaskaJono

Btw everyone I was taking 200mg selenium with the iodine every day. After my scare I’ve taken double just to be safe.
Eat some cheese and dates or honey.... or some milk. Is your liver healthy? As in you do not have cold hands and feet much of the day? And can digest fats from dairy and meat ok? Reactions to Iodine do vary, and I totally agree with above suggestions with Selenium. Oysters and shellfish too. Magnesium much? I am sure you will be fine from this small amount of Lugol's in a day or two. Putting it on your skin does almost nothing for 'absorbtion' as some state, but it does act as a fungicide, and antibiotic locally obviously, though a minute amount will of course be absorbed into the skin.

I did what is considered large amounts building up from a drop of 5% Lugol's to 8-10 drops for 6 months, then tapered off for another 6 months. I still may use 125+ mg daily for a few days as an antibiotic substitute. When I did this year long 'top up', I was doing Selenium daily, along with magnesium, seaweed, boron along with a weekly oyster or mussels feed. Also I was relatively in good overall health, no thyroid issues, etc. . Also make sure that your 'supplement' company is good, as there are suggested brands on this site somewhere. Maybe others can chime in about brands, as not all are really providing what they are supposed too or are not bio-available.

CastorTroy

Lugol's contains both iodine and potassium iodide. Whats wrong with it? Is there a product that contains just potassium iodide? I've personally been using 1mg (1 drop of 1% Lugol's) and a Brazil nut a day with no problems,

Last edited:

yerrag

It's a typo but I don't let it pass. It's 200mcg

Used high dose lugol's before, gave me weird pain in the throat and my eyebrows thinned out even more indicating worsening hypothyroidism.

These days I just take 225 mcg of potassium iodide, and even that occasionally. I know it seems intuitive to take iodine when you have hypothyroidism, but unless you're a vegan or something, you probably get enough and your thyroid is most likely not working due to other, more complex reasons, which are more difficult to fix.

But for the record it never gave me any kind of lasting, long-term damage and I've used up to 50 mg for about 2 months, so I think within a couple of days you should be fine, though I've read stories of people getting messed up for months, but they were taking it for a long time.

h.c.

These days I just take 225 mcg of potassium iodide, and even that occasionally. I know it seems intuitive to take iodine when you have hypothyroidism, but unless you're a vegan or something, you probably get enough and your thyroid is most likely not working due to other, more complex reasons, which are more difficult to fix.
I've research that topic long. When it came to idodine most orthomelecular experts, supplement-guys like Cohen (Selfhacked), Weston-A-Price foundation... long list... they are all cautious above ~ 200-500 µg / day. Especially if you don't know your thyroid status, you really can do yourelf a gigantic dis-service. Same with Selenium. I've seen blood-work in the 450-range (whole blood) only with brasil-nuts!

Milligram-doses of Iodine are not physiological - they are an emergency-measure.

10 mg Iodine (50 times 200 µg) is like taking 15 g magnesium, 750 mg iron, 150-200 mg copper, 5 mg Selenium. Nobody in their right mind would do that!

Best,
Hans

I've research that topic long. When it came to idodine most orthomelecular experts, supplement-guys like Cohen (Selfhacked), Weston-A-Price foundation... long list... they are all cautious above ~ 200-500 µg / day. Especially if you don't know your thyroid status, you really can do yourelf a gigantic dis-service. Same with Selenium. I've seen blood-work in the 450-range (whole blood) only with brasil-nuts!

Milligram-doses of Iodine are not physiological - they are an emergency-measure.

10 mg Iodine (50 times 200 µg) is like taking 15 g magnesium, 750 mg iron, 150-200 mg copper, 5 mg Selenium. Nobody in their right mind would do that!

Best,
Hans

I agree, it's somewhat crazy when you think about it. There's very little well done scientific reasoning backing those doses (that I've seen). Some people do experience resolution of some issues on these high doses, but in that case it's used as a pharmaceutical and not an essential mineral and comes with such risks.

h.c.

I agree, it's somewhat crazy when you think about it. There's very little well done scientific reasoning backing those doses (that I've seen). Some people do experience resolution of some issues on these high doses, but in that case it's used as a pharmaceutical and not an essential mineral and comes with such risks.
I think that is a good point.

The often cited 13mg/day for Japan is an extreme [1]. 1-3 mg/day is more the norm according to studies. [2]

So the question is: is 1 mg / day a good long-term dose, and why are so many experts, that have no issues/problems with mega-dosis of vitamins, issues with recommending high dosis of iodine?

Is the confusion related to the different formes of iodine that are used?

Best,
Hans

[1] Clinical Evaluation of the lodide/Creatinine Ratio of Casual Urine Samples as an Index of Daily Iodide Excretion in a Population Study, Konno et al, Endocrine Journal 1993, 40 (1), 163-169
[2] Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis, Theodore T Zava and David T Zava, Thyroid Res. 2011; 4: 14.

Last edited:
OP
antiqua

antiqua

Okay everyone, I’m feeling better today. Thank God. If I use iodine again it’ll be in tiny doses, transdermally.

AlaskaJono

It's a typo but I don't let it pass. It's 200mcg

Très Salubrious of you! Yerrag.
As Paracelsus is quoted, "The difference between a poison and a remedy is the dosage".

Or -

“All things are poisons, for there is nothing without poisonous qualities. It is only the dose which makes a thing poison.”​

Okay everyone, I’m feeling better today. Thank God. If I use iodine again it’ll be in tiny doses, transdermally.

Somehow this did not post last night. !!!

yerrag

Très Salubrious of you! Yerrag.
As Paracelsus is quoted, "The difference between a poison and a remedy is the dosage".
Well said.

1 mg = 1000 mcg
1 g = 1000 mg
1 kg = 1000 g

Jessie

I think whoever started this high iodine craze should be ashamed of themselves. No telling who all this protocol has hurt. Thankfully this is one thing I never got caught up in. Just eat seafood, eggs, and occasionally use some iodized salt (once a week, maybe) and you'll never have to worry about iodine deficiency. Large dosages (in the milligrams) can wreck havoc.

h.c.

No telling who all this protocol has hurt.
Lots of people. Flechas and Brownstein gave the tempate and lots of people copied it. If you look who has shares / ownership in Optimox (Iodoral), you become carefull.

Because when one does such a crazy thing there are tonns of things to do before including an monitoring of the thyroid. Idodine >>>> 1-2mg / day is a pharmalogical intervention, like 500-1500 mg Iron infusions which are equally crazy.