I think I just ruined my thyroid forever with Iodine.

antiqua

So to get it out of the way, yes I was sucked into the whole iodine hype for a bit and I became convinced that it would fix my health problems (mainly pcos adjacent hormonal imbalance). I ordered 2 bottles of Lugol's solution, a 2% and a 5%. I was taking a drop of the 2% every morning for a few days (2.5 mg per drop) and didn't notice much of a difference, except midday on the days I took it I would get almost hyperthyroid feelings. Like slightly increased heart rate, but nothing major. Well yesterday morning, I accidentally took a drop of the 5% instead of the 2%, meaning I got 6.25 mg of iodine. A couple hours later I suddenly got freezing cold hypo symptoms. My temps for the past few weeks had been hitting above 98.6 in the afternoons, but it was barely 97.0 after the 5% iodine. Since then I have been super hypo, with freezing cold hands and feet. I am so upset, I already have enough health problems and I feel like I have totally ruined my thyroid. Will this wear off? Either its the Wolff-Chaikov effect and my thyroid will return to normal, or I have somehow triggered autoimmune Hashimoto's with such a high dose.

Tarmander

That really isn't much. Some people take mega doses for years and it slowly shrinks their thyroid down. Having a bit extra iodine for a few days will be nothing. Just give it a week

OP
antiqua

antiqua

That really isn't much. Some people take mega doses for years and it slowly shrinks their thyroid down. Having a bit extra iodine for a few days will be nothing. Just give it a week
Thanks Tarmander. Yes I’m being a total drama queen, thanks for the reassurance. I know iodine triggered this but hopefully it’ll go away soon. Could also be partially because I just stopped progest-e on Wednesday in concurrence with my period starting.

brightside

Its not Wolff-Chaikov, I was earlier convinced of that too. It is, however, some effect of the iodINE. I have used up to 150mg of iodIDE with no issues.

I did the same thing to myself a few times, and at the same dosages as you. I was sloppy with dosing and gave myself a higher dose. What followed was severe depression, deep coldness, and constipation. I know how it feels, it sucks.

I would put the Lugol’s deep in a cabinet thats too high to normally reach, and forget about it lol. Instead, you can buy some potassium iodide, and make yourself a super-saturated solution - SSKI.

Additionally search for iodide and filter with @Travis . He talks about iodide, and has better information than the majority of people praising lugol’s. Really recommend reading his posts. Talks about the effectiveness of iodide as an anti-fungal as well.

OP
antiqua

antiqua

Its not Wolff-Chaikov, I was earlier convinced of that too. It is, however, some effect of the iodINE. I have used up to 150mg of iodIDE with no issues.

I did the same thing to myself a few times, and at the same dosages as you. I was sloppy with dosing and gave myself a higher dose. What followed was severe depression, deep coldness, and constipation. I know how it feels, it sucks.

I would put the Lugol’s deep in a cabinet thats too high to normally reach, and forget about it lol. Instead, you can buy some potassium iodide, and make yourself a super-saturated solution - SSKI.

Additionally search for iodide and filter with @Travis . He talks about iodide, and has better information than the majority of people praising lugol’s. Really recommend reading his posts. Talks about the effectiveness of iodide as an anti-fungal as well.
How long did it take for you to get back to normal after taking the iodine?

brightside

How long did it take for you to get back to normal after taking the iodine?
Took it at night and the following day was horrible. The day after that was 50% and by the third I was pretty much back to normal

Peachy

Also know that you can wean down the progesterone as your period begins, taking a lesser amount for the first couple days. I liked doing this, especially in the first year or so of taking it.

LA

We take a drop or so of Iodide or rarely Lugol's once a week. Taking either everyday seems excessive. Iodide is safer 'for us' you might do a few look-ups on this forum, and elsewhere, for opinions. Some people who have posted on this forum are against Lugol's. Hopefully with a break from it you will be able to detox naturally. If you still feel terrible you might consider taking high doses of ascorbic acid. AA will even clean Lead out of the body according to Adele Davis, in 2 of her books, and others such as Duck Pearson and Sandy Shaw in their book "Life Extension" - maybe Vitamin C will help you... Just my humble opinion as an Ascorbic Acid fanatic (grin)

Medvedev

I got a panic attack with insomnia after 2 days of spraying lugols solution into mouth lol

yerrag

I have 200mcg selenomethionine capsules with me when I supplement with iodine. Reactions to iodine vary from one individual to another.

In checking my temperature, I get an idea whether the iodine supplementation is having an unfavorable effect. I would take a capsule of selenomethionine to correct for that. It seems too much hydrogen peroxide is being produced as a result by the thyroid gland and selenomerhionine dials that back down.

One capsule is enough.

Yucca

Nothing to worry, you just think too much…I began to take 2 lugol drops, 5% a few days ago , I felt nothing at all. I’m at 4 drops now (25mg) with 200mcg selenium, still nothing, and I plan to go to 6, then 8 drops for at least 3 months very soon.

h.c.

Either its the Wolff-Chaikov effect and my thyroid will return to normal, or I have somehow triggered autoimmune Hashimoto's with such a high dose.
I would only play arround with supraphysiological dosis of Iodine if it is clear, that you do not have any specific thyroid issues like hashi or knots or a very small thyroid. If you didn't take it for long and stopped immediatly - it should be not as bad long term. Maybe a good time to do an ultrasonic of the thyroid, so that you know whats going on in general.

No_Energy

o to get it out of the way, yes I was sucked into the whole iodine hype for a bit and I became convinced that it would fix my health problems (mainly pcos adjacent hormonal imbalance). I ordered 2 bottles of Lugol's solution, a 2% and a 5%. I was taking a drop of the 2% every morning for a few days (2.5 mg per drop) and didn't notice much of a difference, except midday on the days I took it I would get almost hyperthyroid feelings. Like slightly increased heart rate, but nothing major. Well yesterday morning, I accidentally took a drop of the 5% instead of the 2%, meaning I got 6.25 mg of iodine. A couple hours later I suddenly got freezing cold hypo symptoms. My temps for the past few weeks had been hitting above 98.6 in the afternoons, but it was barely 97.0 after the 5% iodine. Since then I have been super hypo, with freezing cold hands and feet. I am so upset, I already have enough health problems and I feel like I have totally ruined my thyroid. Will this wear off? Either its the Wolff-Chaikov effect and my thyroid will return to normal, or I have somehow triggered autoimmune Hashimoto's with such a high dose.
@antiqua , No need to panic over it. There seems to be some anxiety there. People have taken much more than that. Are you sure that is the sole cause? It seems too short of a time. Anyway, If you feel that really is the cause, just stop for a few days and you should be back to normal.

Last edited:
OP
antiqua

antiqua

@antiqua , No need to panic over it. There seems to be some anxiety there. People have taken much more than that. Are you sure that is the sole cause? It seems too short of a time. Anyway, If you feel that really is the cause, just stop for a few days and you should be back to normal.
Yeah I am a highly anxious person so I am definitely overreacting, lol. I haven’t taken any more since the incident and I don’t plan to. I am certain that it was caused by the iodine but it’ll probably pass. I have lots of other health issues too so that’s probably why I reacted so badly to only 6.25 mg

DonLore

By what mechanism would Iodine be harmful? Doesnt it turn into iodide immediately when taken orally anyway..