I think I cannot burn glucose

Igorevich

Hi!
I have a history of keto, fasting, and malnutrition. Currently, I'm trying a high-carb low-fat diet. Every time when I feel my glycogen is restored and I'm ready to switch to glucose metabolism, I start to experience strange symptoms. My brain fog become much worse, my anxiety rises, strange spasms around my head and neck may be something like skin anesthesia. Also, my dysautonomia became worse, strong dizziness. It subsides after 6-8 hours of not eating high carbs.

I supplement Vitamin A, D3, E, B2, B3, B5, C, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Chrome, Selenium, Iodide - the RDA values.
Also, I top up it with Magnesium (400-800 mg), Calcium (500-1000 mg), Folic acid (400 mcg), Potassium (300 mg).
B1 (100 mg), B6 (100 mg), B12 (1 mg) - intramuscular.

My diet is rice and buckwheat, green pea, beef, chicken, honey, apples, kiwi, OJ, sugar, eggs.

I would be grateful for any insight about what I am missing in order to get my body to ignite by carbs. I am thinking about an active form of B1, maybe I can't convert it.

YourUniverse

Hi!
I have a history of keto, fasting, and malnutrition. Currently, I'm trying a high-carb low-fat diet. Every time when I feel my glycogen is restored and I'm ready to switch to glucose metabolism, I start to experience strange symptoms. My brain fog become much worse, my anxiety rises, strange spasms around my head and neck may be something like skin anesthesia. Also, my dysautonomia became worse, strong dizziness. It subsides after 6-8 hours of not eating high carbs.

I supplement Vitamin A, D3, E, B2, B3, B5, C, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Chrome, Selenium, Iodide - the RDA values.
Also, I top up it with Magnesium (400-800 mg), Calcium (500-1000 mg), Folic acid (400 mcg), Potassium (300 mg).

My diet is rice and buckwheat, green pea, beef, chicken, honey, apples, kiwi, OJ, sugar, eggs.

I would be grateful for any insight about what I am missing in order to get my body to ignite by carbs. I am thinking about an active form of B1, maybe I can't convert it.
Same. What about coconut oil?

YourUniverse

I think in my case, it could be from PUFA liberation when the sugar runs out. A steady stream of coconut oil might help this and it makes me feel a lot better.

There was a book I read years ago called "Metabolic Typing Diet". The author distinguishes between "protein types", "carb types" and "mixed types", which are loosely based on oxidation rate. Protein types (which the book's questionnaire said I was) were fast oxidizers which turned food into energy quickly. I'm not sure if this explanation is accurate but the diet recommendations made me feel good, and are generally the opposite of the carb-rich Peat approach. In my experience, this is true for me, but why its true? I'm not sure. The author believes it to be genetic, I think it has to do with PUFA liberation. The author admits that a person's "type" can change over time (like a person's PUFA saturation...). It may be possible that I (and maybe you, and perhaps others with this problem) burn a lot of energy quickly and exhaust sugar quickly. Or, we don't food combine well (adding protein and fat with the carbs). OR, its PUFA. Or something else. Or.

Anyway, coconut oil helps me.

OP
Igorevich

Igorevich

Thanks a lot. Would you be so kind as to write a little more about your diet that is helping you?
Recently I tried my diet with the addition of butter. To test saturated fats. I didn't notice any difference from my regular state. The shift happens within one day when I cut fats to 50 g, or within a week when I eat high carb and regular fats.

YourUniverse

Thanks a lot. Would you be so kind as to write a little more about your diet that is helping you?
Recently I tried my diet with the addition of butter. To test saturated fats. I didn't notice any difference from my regular state. The shift happens within one day when I cut fats to 50 g, or within a week when I eat high carb and regular fats.
Sure. I'm just less stingy about food, less stingy about eating at certain times and about supplements, and make sure I have a tsp or so of coconut oil every couple of hours. When I eat I too find brain fog/fatigue/anxiety but I notice coconut oil reverses this, so this is what I eat most of the day. I normally eat a meal in the evening, and afterwards I am filled with calm and relief, and am tired for sleep. Although this approach is against the carb-rich, grazing style that Peat writes about and that I have tried for years now, he is also clear about eating to taste and not for theoretical nutrition, and coconut oil happens to both taste great and make me feel well. Its a new thing and I'm tinkering with it a bit, but the evening meal is in courses, starting with fruit, then bone broth, eggs, milk, maybe meat, and some bread or other starch.

I havent been doing it long and I dont know how long Ill keep it up, but coconut oil definitely helps me.

Last edited:

ReSTART

Getting enough protein? I feel protein calms down the effects of perhaps too many carbs.

T3Energy

maybe you can try to adjust your supplementation. you are taking a lot of supplements, maybe one of them has irritating ingredients, enough to disturb the metabolism.

OP
Igorevich

Igorevich

Getting enough protein? I feel protein calms down the effects of perhaps too many carbs.
Yes, ~100 g.

One more thing I think is important to mention. I have tried keto one more time about a month ago to help with brain fog. I didn't know about Ray Peat back then. So I had a very bad reaction to it. Within the first couple of days of low-carb, I started to develop something like hypoxia symptoms. Tunnel vision, floaters in eyes. Like I was going to pass out. After carb-loading the symptoms subsided within hours. So then I first thought about metabolic problems. But I don't understand. I can't use fats, I can't use carbs, what should I do?

Aspekt

That's quite a high dose of B6, can definitely cause some weird neurological symptoms in some folks. Don't see a need for the iron and C. Honestly I'd try dropping all the supplements then see how your glucose metabolism is as a baseline, try adding some aspirin and B1, maybe some B3 but that can contribute to symptoms like you're describing in some people. If pushing carbs up is a problem, something close to 50% carb 25% fat 25% protein might be ok. More carbs only works to a point, especially if your metabolism has been used to keto etc

PolishSun

You might build the tolerance with time, but slowly. I think I read when somebody is on keto diet, the body breaks down mitochondria's. So you need to get more of them.

AndrogenicJB

I think in my case, it could be from PUFA liberation when the sugar runs out. A steady stream of coconut oil might help this and it makes me feel a lot better.

There was a book I read years ago called "Metabolic Typing Diet". The author distinguishes between "protein types", "carb types" and "mixed types", which are loosely based on oxidation rate. Protein types (which the book's questionnaire said I was) were fast oxidizers which turned food into energy quickly. I'm not sure if this explanation is accurate but the diet recommendations made me feel good, and are generally the opposite of the carb-rich Peat approach. In my experience, this is true for me, but why its true? I'm not sure. The author believes it to be genetic, I think it has to do with PUFA liberation. The author admits that a person's "type" can change over time (like a person's PUFA saturation...). It may be possible that I (and maybe you, and perhaps others with this problem) burn a lot of energy quickly and exhaust sugar quickly. Or, we don't food combine well (adding protein and fat with the carbs). OR, its PUFA. Or something else. Or.

Anyway, coconut oil helps me.
Do you think food combination is really a problem, I mic protein carbs and fat quite often

johnysummer

I have identical problems with low fat diet. Although my cognitive function is greatly increased I might get adrenaline spikes in the day if I have very low fat. I think is better to steadily lower it rather than an all out approach. Basically feed on what makes your feet warm and progresively lower the fat intake.

equipoise

I have identical problems with low fat diet. Although my cognitive function is greatly increased I might get adrenaline spikes in the day if I have very low fat. I think is better to steadily lower it rather than an all out approach. Basically feed on what makes your feet warm and progresively lower the fat intake.
Yes and track everything along the way, 'tis the body we are talking about =)

Jayvee

Might Pyrucet and/or Oxidal help? I stupidly fell for keto too and was sure that my body couldn't utilise sugars anymore. I aggressively starting trying to cut out fat to try and 'kick start' things but it was the wrong move and caused further stress so I think it's just a transitional thing gradually lowering fat and doing what feels right (I still crave butter, cheese and macadamia nuts from doing keto for so long). I started on Pyrucet a few weeks back and that has made a noticeable difference, I feel like Oxidal could work even better but not yet tried that. Energy levels are still flat lining though but Pyrucet plus something carb/sugar heavy gives me a good boost and its gradually improving.

mostlylurking

Hi!

You are describing a thiamine deficiency/functional blockage. You are consuming too many carbs in relationship to your ability to use thiamine and/or your consumption of thiamine. There are many things that block thiamine function. If your thiamine function is blocked, you cannot make ATP.

Jayvee

You are describing a thiamine deficiency/functional blockage. You are consuming too many carbs in relationship to your ability to use thiamine and/or your consumption of thiamine. There are many things that block thiamine function. If your thiamine function is blocked, you cannot make ATP.

Is the solution to up the Thiamine dose?

Back
Top Bottom